X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post

I don't think you'll get a commercial CD of just Bk 1. You'll have to make one.
    Sure - I get that.

My favourite is Palenicek's first recording,1943 I think, which as far as I am aware has never been commercially liberated from the vinyl. If you PM me I can let you have the files of my transfer.
    That is very kind.

If not, I thought Austbø was wonderful too. And Palenicek's second, Schiff -- you already know Firkusny.
    I've now remembered that I had a cassette of Firkusny, not from a CD I believe, but a live recital somewhere; and also Radoslav Kvapil, also a live rectal I taped off air. I preferred Kvapil to Firkusni in this.

I'll get back to you by PM if I wish to take up your offer.

Comment

• kernelbogey
      • Nov 2010

I've ordered Stephen Hough on Hyperion from Presto who have it on special offer till 4/9 (includes Scriabin): for the gift. Listening to the samples it has a rather harsh recorded piano sound - but 'twill serve.

On an overgrown path Book 1 is pervaded by a sweet melancholy and longing.

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Still advertised as Beethoven on the R3 website.

Some interesting choices (which I'll copy over once the playlist appears, unless someone else gets there first): no Glagolitic Mass, no Sinfonietta.

Comment

• makropulos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Still advertised as Beethoven on the R3 website.

Some interesting choices (which I'll copy over once the playlist appears, unless someone else gets there first): no Glagolitic Mass, no Sinfonietta.
          Here's the track list for Janáček this morning:

1. String Quartet No. 1, 4th movement, Pavel Haas Quartet
          Supraphon SU 3922–2,

2. Říkadla, Nos. 14–19, Prague Philharmonic Choir and ensemble, Lukáš Vasilek
          Supraphon SU 4333-2, Tracks 18–23

3. Taras Bulba: III. Death and Prophesy of Taras Bulba, Czech PO, Mackerras
          Supraphon SU 3739–2, Disc 1, Track 7.

4. Diary of One Who Disappeared, Nicky Spence, Václava Housková, Julius Drake
          Hyperion CDA68282, Tracks 7–9)

5. Makropulos Affair: Act 3, finale, Söderström, Vienna PO, Mackerras
          Decca 430 372-2, Disc 2, Track 4

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Many thanks, Nigel.
            I hope you've enjoyed reading the suggestions on this thread too.
            That early Janacek Quartet recording of the quartets really was the starting point for many of us, wasn't it?

Is the Taras Bulba the same recording in both these sets?
            The 4CD + DVD set is terrific value at present.

Mackerras Conducts Janacek. Supraphon: SU37392. Buy 2 CDs online. Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Mackerras

Life with Czech Music - Janacek & Martinu. Supraphon: SU40422. Buy 4 CDs + DVD Video or download online. Elisabeth Söderström (soprano), Drahomira Drobkova (contralto), Frantisek Livora (tenor), Richard Novak (bass), Jan Hora (organ), Kvetoslava Nemeckova (soprano), Leo Marian Vodicka (tenor), Vaclav Zitek (baritone), Josef Ruzicka (piano), Jan Bouse (timpani), Eva Urbanova (soprano), Bernarda Fink...

Comment

• makropulos
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
              Many thanks, Nigel.
              I hope you've enjoyed reading the suggestions on this thread too.
              That early Janacek Quartet recording of the quartets really was the starting point for many of us, wasn't it?

Is the Taras Bulba the same recording in both these sets?
              The 4CD + DVD set is terrific value at present.

Mackerras Conducts Janacek. Supraphon: SU37392. Buy 2 CDs online. Czech Philharmonic Orchestra, Charles Mackerras

Life with Czech Music - Janacek & Martinu. Supraphon: SU40422. Buy 4 CDs + DVD Video or download online. Elisabeth Söderström (soprano), Drahomira Drobkova (contralto), Frantisek Livora (tenor), Richard Novak (bass), Jan Hora (organ), Kvetoslava Nemeckova (soprano), Leo Marian Vodicka (tenor), Vaclav Zitek (baritone), Josef Ruzicka (piano), Jan Bouse (timpani), Eva Urbanova (soprano), Bernarda Fink...

Yes, the Taras Bulba is the same in both boxes – the red one also includes a DVD of the same concert. The whole of the red box is worth getting: not only the contents of the blue box, but also two different performances of the Glagolitic Mass in two different versions (the Wingfield edition is on the DVD) – as well as some terrific Martinů, and an interview with CM.

How right you are about that Janáček Quartet LP! Some terrific suggestions further up the thread. The only reason I didn't include the Glagolitic Mass is because it's being done on Wednesday – otherwise that would assuredly have been in there (probably Ančerl). I'm looking forward immensely to both the Czech PO Proms this week (and going to both of them).

Comment

Working...
              X