X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Your favourite Delius recordings ?

Listening to some of Beecham's recordings in that English Music box set EMI put out there is no doubt he had a way with this music that i am really only now getting to appreciate as my 2 LP set on Greensleeves I think was subject to a poor pressing . I am also very fond of many of Barbirolli's recordings especially his Brigg Fair and have a very soft spot for some old Handley recordings on CFP .

What are your favourite Delius recordings
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

My single favourite is Handley's first recordings on CfP - the one that most frequently gets played here. The second one is good, too - and Mackerras, particularly in the Concertos. I prefer Barbirolli to Beecham (I think that's true generally). And the BBC MusMag Sea Drift (Hickox Live) is wonderful.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Listening to some of Beecham's recordings in that English Music box set EMI put out there is no doubt he had a way with this music that i am really only now getting to appreciate as my 2 LP set on Greensleeves I think was subject to a poor pressing . I am also very fond of many of Barbirolli's recordings especially his Brigg Fair and have a very soft spot for some old Handley recordings on CFP .

What are your favourite Delius recordings
      This requires thought because there are many very good recordings and British conductors in particular have done him justice. An early favourite for me is Beecham's Florida Suite. Also some of the first Delius recordings I got to know and like we're Collins on Decca in Brigg Fair and some of the shorter pieces.

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        My single favourite is Handley's first recordings on CfP - the one that most frequently gets played here. The second one is good, too - and Mackerras, particularly in the Concertos. I prefer Barbirolli to Beecham (I think that's true generally). And the BBC MusMag Sea Drift (Hickox Live) is wonderful.
        It has to be Beecham with "Brigg Fair" for me, for personal reasons.

I played in the first Postwar performance of "A Mass of Life" which was Fischer Dieskau's first appearence in England (and also my first engagement with the RPO)

But I agree that Barbirolli was a great interpreter.

HS

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Yes - the Sea Drift I mentioned has personal connections for me, too. I greatly admire Beecham's recordings (and his dedication to this composer deserves the gratitude of everyone who loves this Music) but generally prefer Barbirolli.

Thumbs up to Cloughie for mentioning Anthony Collins, too.

And Ralph Holmes in the violin Sonatas and the Concerto shouldn't be forgotten (even though I did an hour ago ).

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Comment

• HighlandDougie
              • Nov 2010

Not much on the disc but it's the one I return to if I want a quick Delius hit:

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

A particular favourite here is the 2CD 1987 set, Unicorn-Kanchana; The Fenby Legacy, Music of Delius, recorded under the auspices of the Delius Trust. A first rate line-up, Felicity Lott, Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Thomas Allen, Julian Lloyd Webber, Ambrosian Singers with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Eric Fenby.

CD1: Songs of Farewell, Idyll and Fantastic Dance (Orchestra).

CD2: A Song of Summer, Cynara, Irmelin Prelude, A Late Lark, La Calinda, Caprice and Elegy (Cello & small orchestra), Two Aquarelles and Fennimore and Gerda - Intermezzo.

An ideal programme after I've viewed an off-air DVD of Ken Russell's, Monitor documentary, A Song of Summer with its incomparable cast. Can't ever forget Max Adrian (Delius) disdain to Christopher Gable (Eric Fenby); "British Music, what's that? I've never heard British music."

Comment

• Stanfordian
                  • Dec 2010

I heard 'The Song of the High Hills' recently and was wondering if anyone can suggest a recording of the work in good quality sound please?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Stanley Stewart View Post
                    A particular favourite here is the 2CD 1987 set, Unicorn-Kanchana; The Fenby Legacy, Music of Delius, recorded under the auspices of the Delius Trust. A first rate line-up, Felicity Lott, Anthony Rolfe Johnson, Thomas Allen, Julian Lloyd Webber, Ambrosian Singers with Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/Eric Fenby.

CD1: Songs of Farewell, Idyll and Fantastic Dance (Orchestra).

CD2: A Song of Summer, Cynara, Irmelin Prelude, A Late Lark, La Calinda, Caprice and Elegy (Cello & small orchestra), Two Aquarelles and Fennimore and Gerda - Intermezzo.
                    Doesn't that Delius Collection series consist of 7 CDs?

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

[ ... tho' those who are seriously deranged in their attachment to de Lius might like 18 rather than 7 CDs -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005RXKKQO ]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Including a Song of the High Hills that would meet Stanf's requirements (the River dwelling tax avoiders have a [used)] copy for just £1.55 + P&P).

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          Not much on the disc but it's the one I return to if I want a quick Delius hit:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delius-Orche...norman+del+mar
                          I have not heard this recording, but Norman Del Mar was Beecham's protégé and I'm sure that Tommy's influence would be noticable.

NDM was, in any case, a distinguished interpreter of all the earlier 20th century British composers.

HS

Comment

• Stanley Stewart
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Alas, in the 80s, life in London and spending on the arts were restricted by mortgage budgetary considerations. However, I was pleased to note the availability of the 7 CD set, today, at an agreeable price and have placed an order.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Yes - the Sea Drift I mentioned has personal connections for me, too. I greatly admire Beecham's recordings (and his dedication to this composer deserves the gratitude of everyone who loves this Music) but generally prefer Barbirolli.

Thumbs up to Cloughie for mentioning Anthony Collins, too.

And Ralph Holmes in the violin Sonatas and the Concerto shouldn't be forgotten (even though I did an hour ago ).
                              Oops as did I that LP of the Violin Concerto plus the Suite and Legende was superb. I will add du Pre/Sargent in the Cello Concerto .

Comment

Working...
                              X