X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Haydn: Seven Last Words of Christ

Every Easter I mean to get to know this work.

Which version - orchestral, quartet, other, do you find most satisfying and could you make a CD recommendation, please?
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Every Easter I mean to get to know this work.

Which version - orchestral, quartet, other, do you find most satisfying and could you make a CD recommendation, please?
    A wonderful work. I would suggest the quartet version. There's a super version by the Cuarteto Casals.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

I only know the Quartet version, which is superb - I've never encountered a poor performance/recording and first owned the Kodaly's recording on Naxos; a very fine performance.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        ....the Kodaly's recording on Naxos; a very fine performance.
        it is; as are all the Kodaly's Haydn string quartets on Naxos. All one needs, IMO.....

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

This has got to be worth a watch, Alison.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

le Concert Des Nations/ Jordi Savall.

( and rather unusually, 10k views and 4 comments!!!!!)
          Last edited by teamsaint; 24-03-15, 22:16.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

The only version I know is the string quartet.
            I have the Aeolian recording,as part of the complete quartets box,with readings by Peter Pears,which is wonderful.
            I don't think it's available separately,which is good in a way.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I've only got the orchestral version in a live 1982 Salzburg performance with Riccardo Muti and the Wiener Philharmoniker which I've not played yet. I'll save it for Good Friday.

Always found the different incarnations of this work a bit of a puzzle.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Bruggen and the Orchestra of the 18thC. on Glossa are - poetic, dramatic, haunting, beautifully recorded - everything you could wish for, but...

In lieu of spoken passages between the musical Last Words, Bruggen decided to commission Ron Ford to compose tiny intermezzi which fall between each of the 7 movements. These are gentle, often no more than a few chords, but you can't program them out... (imagine two or three soft chords from the 1st movement of Webern's Op21 - that's the impression). If you find online excerpts, the intermezzi are at the start of each track.
                Bruggen says they are meant to be "a worthy musical substitute for no music"..
                I find them unobtrusive (if neither compelling or truly necessary, silent contemplation would be fine by me...); but you should be aware of their presence...

Gram. review 8/2009 - NA, very positive, not terribly insightful...
                Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 25-03-15, 03:48.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Thanks, JLW for pointing out those Ron Ford commissions which can't be got rid of - that would certainly put me off the disc.

The spoken passages are in Savall's account on Alia Vox - and in the recording's previous incarnation on Astrée which I have, it was possible to programme them out. I've always liked this recording, which I suspect shares many of the Bruggen version's qualites.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    A wonderful work. I would suggest the quartet version. There's a super version by the Cuarteto Casals.
                    About a year ago I also decided to get to know the work and likewise went for the Cuarteto Casals following glowing reviews. eg BBC mag. It has the additional advantage of having been recorded in the atmospheric acoustic the Oratorio de la Santa Cueva, the Cádiz church where it was first performed.

Comment

• verismissimo
                      • Nov 2010

Love this work. I have two orchestral recordings on LP (Prague Chamber Orch/Munclinger and Little Orch of London/Jones), two SQs (the old Aeolian Q and the Lindsays) and the piano version by dear departed John McCabe. Never had the choral.

The Adderbury Ensemble (led by the wonderful David LePage) will be doing the SQ version in our local parish church of King's Sutton on the Tuesday in Holy Week (31 March). 7pm. Borders of Northants/Oxon, J10 of M40 near Banbury, north of Oxford.

All welcome.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I have the orchestra; version and I would love to hear the piano version sometime.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                        X