• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Great voices on CD Review 21.3.15 - esp Natasha Loges

I was very struck indeed with several wonderful voices, new to me, on Radio 3 this weekend.

In particular, in the hour-long spot on Song recordings, the person discussing the new releases seemed to me to be the best contributor I have heard for ages.

She is Natasha Loges. She's not in fact new to Radio 3 I gather, as she participated in the Brahms and Schubert immersion experiences (no doubt being talked over by Mr Service; in any event I missed her contributions).

She seems to me to have the perfect broadcasting voice - precise, natural, energetic, without mannerism.
    Apart from everything else, her pronunciation of German and French was perfect without being affected - Natasha is a woman of international background and family. (Her husband is singer Stephan Loges). She is currently Assistant Head of Programmes at the RCM. There is some information about Natasha here:

I found her contributions to be wise and insightful, illuminating an area of repertoire that is not my main area of interest. But her selection and comments on the singers and songs in question were fascinating - especially her comments about the first singer, Anke Vondung, a great discovery for me, and as to why her voice and technique set her apart from many singers currently performing. Also Rupert Charlesworth; and I was even gripped by the Liszt songs.

I very much hope Natasha Loges will be making many more appearances on Radio 3. She could, if she chose, be a leading figure on the station if there's any justice.

Her segment starts around 1:52:40 here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05mppy8

Complete listing:

Fin de Siecle

BERG: Vier Lieder Op. 2

MAHLER: Fruhlingsmorgen (Lieder und Gesange aus der Jugendzeit); Verlorne Muh' (Des Knaben Wunderhorn); Nicht wiedersehen (Lieder und Gesange aus der Jugendzeit); Erinnerung (Lieder und Gesange aus der Jugendzeit); Rheinlegendchen (Des Knaben Wunderhorn); Wer hat dies' Liedlein Erdacht? (Des Knaben Wunderhorn); Aus! Aus! (Lieder und Gesange aus der Jugendzeit)

SCHOENBERG: 4 Lieder Op. 2

SCHREKER: Lieder Op. 4

ZEMLINSKY: Songs (6) to poems by Maurice Maeterlinck Op. 13

Anke Vondung (mezzo), Christoph Berner (piano)

AVI MUSIC AVI8553313 (CD)

Liszt: The Complete Songs Volume 3 - Gerald Finley

LISZT: Morgens steh ich auf und frage, S290; Ein Fichtenbaum steht einsam, S309; Anfangs wollt ich fast verzagen, S311; Weimars Toten, S303; Wer nie sein Brot mit Tranen ass, S.297; Sonetti di Petrarca (3) for voice & piano, S270; Die Fischerstochter; Und wir dachten der Toten; Die Vatergruft, S.281; Gastibelza; La tombe et la rose, S285; Le vieux vagabond, S304; Go not, happy day

Gerald Finley (baritone), Julius Drake (piano)

HYPERION CDA67956 (CD)

CASTELNUOVO-TEDESCO: Shakespeare Sonnets

Ashley Riches (baritone), Emma Abbate (piano)

RESONUS CLASSICS RES10141 (CD)

Richard Strauss: The Complete Songs 7

STRAUSS, R: Weihnachtsgefuhl, WoO. 94; Weihnachtslied Op. 2; Einkehr Op. 47 No. 4; Der mude Wanderer Op. 13; Husarenlied, AV14 TrV42; Der Fischer, AV33 TrV48; Die Drossel; Lass ruh'n die Toten, WoO. 35; Lust und Qual, AV36 TrV51; Spielmann und Zither, AV40 TrV58; Wiegenlied , TrV59; Abend- und Morgenrot, WoO. 42; Im Walde, AV43 TrV62; Nebel; Soldatenlied, TrV66; Ein Roslein zog ich mir im Garten Op. 49; Waldesgesang , TrV75; Alphorn Op. 29; Sinnspruch, AV105; Durch allen Schall und Klang, AV111; Zugemessne Rhythmen, AV122; Xenion, AV131; Auf ein Kind Op. 47 No. 1; Ruckleben Op. 47 No. 3; Von den sieben Zechbrudern Op. 47 No. 5; Sankt Michael Op. 88 No. 3; Winterreise, AV4 TrV4

Ed Lockwood (French horn), Ruby Hughes (soprano), Ben Johnson (tenor), Gunter Haumer (baritone), Roger Vignoles (piano)

HYPERION CDA68074 (CD)

Nocturnes

BAX: The White Peace (Fiona Macleod)

BERKELEY, L: Eyes look into the well (No. 4 from Five Poems of W.H. Auden Op. 53); Five Poems of W.H. Auden Op. 53, No. 5: Carry her over the water; Silver (No. 5 from Five Songs Op. 26)

BOULANGER, L: Vous m'avez regarde avec toute votre ame

BRAHMS: Standchen Op. 106 No. 1; Der Gang zum Liebchen, No. 1 Op. 48

BRITTEN: Night covers up the rigid land (No. 2 from Fish in the Unruffled Lakes)

DEBUSSY: Nuit d'etoiles

DUPARC: Serenade Florentine

FAURE: La Lune blanche luit dans les bois (No. 3 from La Bonne Chanson Op. 61); Clair de Lune Op. 46 No. 2

FINZI: A Young Man's Exhortation Op. 14, No. 5: The Comet at Yell'ham

FRANCK, C: Nocturne

GURNEY: Sleep

HAHN, R: L'heure exquise

LISZT: Kling Leise, mein Lied, S301

MENDELSSOHN: So schlaf in Ruh!

SCHUBERT: An die Laute D905; Der Jungling und der Tod, D545 (Spaun); Der Wanderer an den Mond D870 (Seidl)

Rupert Charlesworth (tenor), Edwige Herchenroder (piano)

ZIGZAG ZZT355 (CD)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    I was very struck indeed with several wonderful voices, new to me, on Radio 3 this weekend.

In particular, in the hour-long spot on Song recordings, the person discussing the new releases seemed to me to be the best contributor I have heard for ages.
    She is Natasha Loges.

I listened as well, and thought she was excellent.

and I was even gripped by the Liszt songs

I very much hope Natasha Loges will be making many more appearances on Radio 3. She could, if she chose, be a leading figure on the station if there's any justice.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Yes. I thought she was excellent too. A superb foil for the genius of Andrew McGregor!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Yes. I thought she was excellent too. A superb foil for the genius of Andrew McGregor!
        Andrew McGregor is good, but I wish he would not start every paragraph NICE AND LOUDLY before tapering away to a whisper. It really is bad broadcasting technique.

Comment

• Tevot
          • Nov 2010

That certainly whets the appetite. Many thanks everyone for highlighting this. I've got a lot of listening to do again

Best Wishes,

Tevot

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tevot View Post
            I've got a lot of listening to do again
            Ignore the side-swipes at Andrew "Stooge" McGregor and have a listen to the wise Dr Loges and those singers.

Stick around for the Finzi song at the end (wonderful piano accompaniment and recording).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Stick around for the Finzi song at the end (wonderful piano accompaniment and recording).
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• verismissimo
                • Nov 2010

Curmudgeons Corner:

Anke Vondung was too wobbly and over-theatrical for my taste. When Dr Loges said she was old-fashioned, I thought, yes - too wobbly.

I enjoyed Gerald Finlay's Liszt most of all.

But thanks for flagging this up, Cali.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Ignore the side-swipes at Andrew "Stooge" McGregor and have a listen to the wise Dr Loges and those singers.

Hey! No swipes, side or otherwise at Andrew Macgregor! He really is my favourite broadcaster. AND I've met him too. A really great guy.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Hey! No swipes, side or otherwise at Andrew Macgregor! He really is my favourite broadcaster. AND I've met him too. A really great guy.
                    Ah! Beggin' your puddin'! I thought Tevot had taken your 'genius' reference as ironic and wrongly followed suit. Perhaps it was Mr Tevot who injected the irony. For what it's worth I agree about AMcG (just wish they'd give him a rest for at least 50 minutes - viz. BaL - during the duration of CD Review, for variety if nothing else)

Comment

Working...
                    X