• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Fagerlund Darkness in Light

Ordered it the instant I heard it on Saturday - VERY, VERY rare for me indeed to do so rash a thing, but.......
    Just playing it now.

I can genuinely see this becoming a standard in the violin repertoire.
    Brilliantly inventive score and brilliantly played by all parties on the CD.
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

I didn't think anyone else....!?
    In fact I bought it without hearing a note, after reading Robert von Bahr's enthusing in the mini-newsletter that comes weekly from BIS... it's fun to start listening to something entirely innocent-eared...

It is enjoyable isn't it - I thought the finale less inspired on a first hearing, but..back to start.... and "Ignite" on the same album is even better. With the 24/48 FLAC for the price of mp3 deal at eclassical ($8.53!) I took the companion Fagerlund album too - Clarinet Concerto and Partita most entertaining. Haven't played the weightier "Isola" yet...

Plumbs no great depths perhaps...? Influences a little obvious? Perhaps, but maybe we need some modern-light-classical sometimes....hell, we need whole new genre ​here...

("A more listener-friendly cousin to Magnus Lindberg" said Fanning of Isola in the 9/2011 G. (in a somewhat damn-with-faint-praise review). Which didn't stop me buying it after Darkness in Light...
    Oleg Ledeniov on Musicweb is much more positive!)

OK getting carried away, busy day, too many espresso shots, best go & unwind...
    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 20-03-15, 02:03.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

The concerto is available to hear on youtube , in a live performance.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Thanks for flagging this up Dracs, and good info Jayne.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        In fact I bought it without hearing a note, after reading Robert von Bahr's enthusing in the mini-newsletter that comes weekly from BIS...
        Err, me too. Jayne's, "plumbs no great depths", is pretty much spot-on about the Violin Concerto but, loath as I am to damn it with faint praise, it is a very enjoyable listen (and I played it twice in a row to make sure that I wasn't just buying Robert von Bahr's hype), if not hugely demanding. Schönberg's Violin Concerto it ain't.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Clearly made a mistake in expressing my enthusiasm.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            I doubt if Mr Fagerlund would see it that way.

I bet it would be great to see and hear live.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              Eh, what!? No!

Heard Darkness in Light again tonight... and enjoyed it more, again...
              Keep listening and stay curious!

Comment

Working...
              X