X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    Thank you, Alison, that's very helpful...I will do it immediately.
    The newsletter comes out every Friday and it's normally on the last Friday of the month that the full listing of new releases is included.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      I am not happy about losing the subscription fee, but will give them the benefit of the doubt. No doubt they were getting by on a small margin and needed every penny
      I am really distressed to hear about CRQ. I love curling up in an easy chair, reading about reissues, the stories behind many recordings and Artists. I found their reviewers to be concise and very reliable. I used to buy it at Tower Records and when that chain went bankrupt it took me a long time to find it via the Internet.
      I am feeling very much like a dinosaur today.
      Dinosaurs took flight as birds!

I bought The Gramophone yesterday for the first time in years. It has certainly improved. I have a bit of a quandary re Fanfare, since I let the subscription lapse. The problem is that it keeps arriving with a thud through my letterbox ever quarter. Should I tell them, or treat it as unsolicited goods?

Comment

• ahinton
        • Nov 2010

IRRIP, indeed. BBC MM? The next possible casualty of BBC cutbacks, I fear, especially if the licence fee becomes toast. It's by no means as bad a rag as some make out, although some of its content does it few favours and it's certainly no IRR. As IRR was indeed a loss making exercise for whose continuation we have only to thank its now deceased director, what hope for any of the others? I wouldn't be overly complacent about the future of Gramphone, for all its undeniable recent improvements, although Mark Allen Group's acquisition of it from the egregious Haymarket has surely done it favours and might well indeed have ultimately rescued it from eventual demise at the hands of those previous owners.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
          IRRIP, indeed. BBC MM? The next possible casualty of BBC cutbacks, I fear, especially if the licence fee becomes toast. It's by no means as bad a rag as some make out, although some of its content does it few favours and it's certainly no IRR. As IRR was indeed a loss making exercise for whose continuation we have only to thank its now deceased director, what hope for any of the others? I wouldn't be overly complacent about the future of Gramphone, for all its undeniable recent improvements, although Mark Allen Group's acquisition of it from the egregious Haymarket has surely done it favours and might well indeed have ultimately rescued it from eventual demise at the hands of those previous owners.
          The problem with BBCMM for me is that their brief seems to be to make classical music likeable for a readership who need to be convinced. This is quite an honourable aim, but the trouble is that articles explaining simple musical terms etc, meant for beginners, sit uncomfortably next to the more substantial reviews. There are also too many Edna Welthorpe letters ( of Joe Orton fame ) which have that Radio Times flavour --"Well done BBC , I loved it ! "

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            Yes, and the Gramophone does have a strong online presence (archive, reviews database, web-only supplements, forums etc. - some sub-only, some free)..and it helps that googling a given review will often bring it up for free, increasing an already strong global brand name...

The latter point is crucial - it's a shame IRR couldn't offer the digital edition (or an archive) earlier. Looking at retailers you see the same thing - Bath CDs once mooted offering downloads & online ordering but finally didn't do it... now they've gone too.
            Presto Classical do offer all that plus their own CDs-to-order drawn from deleted DGs, Argos, Mercurys etc... finding inventive ways to compete with giants like Amazon, and personalising it with their own promotions, articles and surveys. It must be tough but they're really having a go!
            Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 02-04-15, 17:44.

Comment

• Rosie55
              • Oct 2011

Very sad news indeed. I enjoyed this magazine and it's treasure trove of information on CDs, countless of which I have purchased based on this magazine's recommendations. How gracious Mr Irving was to keep it going at clearly a £ cost to himself. But, what a legacy he leaves, as this conversation is testament to. Thank you Barry!

Comment

• Don Petter

Had my official IRR letter today.

I see that CRQ are hoping to keep their web site going, and, more importantly, to continue with their CD reissues.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
                  Had my official IRR letter today.

I see that CRQ are hoping to keep their web site going, and, more importantly, to continue with their CD reissues.
                  Yes. Me too. Very sad.

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

I got my official IRR e-mail yesterday. In the meantime, I brought the matter to Barclaycard's attention...I paid for my sub with my card and now it looks like I may well be getting a full refund. So anyone else who paid by credit card and lost their money...it might be worth a try.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      I got my official IRR e-mail yesterday. In the meantime, I brought the matter to Barclaycard's attention...I paid for my sub with my card and now it looks like I may well be getting a full refund. So anyone else who paid by credit card and lost their money...it might be worth a try.
                      You should be able to . IRR are in breach of contract albeit for reasons beyond their control .

Comment

Working...
                      X