X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

RIP Barry Irving

Readers of IRR (in particular) will be deeply saddened to hear of the death on 19th Feburary of Barry Irving, founder and publisher of the magazine. Before founding IRR in 2000, he worked for many years at Gramophone.

As one of IRR's regular contributors and as someone who came to know and love Barry in recent years, I can hardly express my own sense of sorrow. He died at home after a short illness and will be enormously missed, by his family, and by all those who worked with him. Quite simply, he was one of the kindest and funniest people I knew - his loss leaves a very large void.

RIP Barry.
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

So sorry to hear that news.

Comment

• french frank
      Administrator/Moderator
      • Feb 2007

That is sad news. The classical world owes him a great debt - it needs small independent entrepreneurs. Thank you for the personal comments from your own knowledge, makropoulos.

Sudden thought: he emailed FoR3 in 2005 (having read an Lunchtime O'Boulez article) and offered a free issue to any of our members who would like to contact him.
      Last edited by french frank; 21-02-15, 20:53. Reason: Wrong attribution!
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Sad news-for all my occasional gripes about the odd reviewer at IRR there can be no doubt that it has added a great deal and restored integrity and depth to classical recording reviews . We owe him a great debt after Gramophone's nosedive.

Condolences to his family and all at IRR including you of course makropoulos .

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Sad news-for all my occasional gripes about the odd reviewer at IRR there can be no doubt that it has added a great deal and restored integrity and depth to classical recording reviews . We owe him a great debt after Gramophone's nosedive.

Condolences to his family and all at IRR including you of course makropoulos .
          I really enjoy that magazine, and it stands as an impressive legacy.

Comment

• Karafan
            • Nov 2010

Yes, very sad news. Condolences to all who knew Barry.

K
            "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
              • Mar 2007

Barry was, quite simply, the loveliest of gentlemen, always glad to see you, always with an amusing story to relate. I last saw him and Máire in November, where he was on his usual superb form. He is already much missed.

RIP Barry
              Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

Also sad to receive this via email yesterday morning:

March 30th, 2015

To Whom It May Concern

Due to the death of Barry Irving, the sole Director of International Record Review Ltd, the company must now be considered insolvent and a letter has been sent to Companies House requesting it to be struck off the register.

The final issue of International Record Review was published on March 2nd.

Many thanks are extended for your past support.

International Record Review Ltd

A covering note stated that 'There may at some point in the future be a digital-only revival of the magazine.

Any news on this will be forwarded to you in due course should this be the case.'

Comment

• makropulos
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                  Also sad to receive this via email yesterday morning:

March 30th, 2015

To Whom It May Concern

Due to the death of Barry Irving, the sole Director of International Record Review Ltd, the company must now be considered insolvent and a letter has been sent to Companies House requesting it to be struck off the register.

The final issue of International Record Review was published on March 2nd.

Many thanks are extended for your past support.

International Record Review Ltd

A covering note stated that 'There may at some point in the future be a digital-only revival of the magazine.

Any news on this will be forwarded to you in due course should this be the case.'
                  Yes, it's hugely sad. But I do know that Máire is actively looking at the possibilities of a digital-only version –not just saying it – so let's hope something might just come of that in due course.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Well that's one helluva late night shock...!
                    I always say don't check your business emails late & take your troubles to bed....seems safer to come here, but this...

The February issue was particularly good, with RW's point-to-point Gilbert/Nielsen reports...
                    Yes, hopefully a digital revival - but it's a tough market with so much free stuff online...
                    Glad that Gramophone's still around & in better shape since Cullingford took over... (I know that will be scant consolation to some here... but any port in a storm, right?...)

Phew. I think I need some music now...
                    Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 31-03-15, 03:24.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                      Yes, it's hugely sad. But I do know that Máire is actively looking at the possibilities of a digital-only version –not just saying it – so let's hope something might just come of that in due course.
                      I didn't receive that e-mail and as someone who only renewed their subscription in December rather annoying . I suppose that is always the risk one takes as a subscriber .

By the sounds of it then Barry Irving was keeping afloat a loss making enterprise - something else we have reason to thank him for . Very sad.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        By the sounds of it then Barry Irving was keeping afloat a loss making enterprise - something else we have reason to thank him for . Very sad.
                        Doubly sad that such an excellent 'product' should disappear with its founder.
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Damn. I just paid the entire year subscription .

Comment

• MickyD
                            • Nov 2010

And so did I, Richard - for delivery to Europe, some £80 up the spout - bad timing on my part! I received no e-mail at all.

It's sad about Barry and the magazine - the question is, can I bring myself to go back to Gramophone? I guess if I want to keep in touch with all the latest releases, there is not much alternative. Is BBC Music Magazine still going?

Comment

• zola
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                              Is BBC Music Magazine still going?
                              It is, though it has taken the Radio 3 route somewhat and could be said to resemble Essential Classics in magazine form. I tend to buy just two or three times a year if the cover disc appeals. Maybe the web sitg will give you some idea ?

Home of BBC Music Magazine - your guide to the world of classical music, downloads, interviews, news, podcasts and more

Comment

Working...
                              X