X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Zino Francescatti: Bruch VC 1

Does anyone know if the stereo recording that Z.F. made with Thomas Schippers and the NY Phil was ever digitalized? I had an lp pairing it with the Sibelius (with Bernstein) that was a favorite lp of mine . The Sibelius is available digitally but I have never seen the Bruch, and one time bought a Z.F. CD that turned out to have an older mono recording of the work thinking it was the Stereo version.
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

I have the last mvmt with Mitropoulos on a compilation LP, don't know the Shippers though.

Francescatti tends to get overlooked, he was a superb player with a top class technique. He played the opening of the Wieniawski F# Minor concerto as a cadenza to his orchestral recording of Paganini's I Palpiti and it's about the most virtuosic playing I have ever heard. Again, never seen it on CD.

Comment

• makropulos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
      Does anyone know if the stereo recording that Z.F. made with Thomas Schippers and the NY Phil was ever digitalized? I had an lp pairing it with the Sibelius (with Bernstein) that was a favorite lp of mine . The Sibelius is available digitally but I have never seen the Bruch, and one time bought a Z.F. CD that turned out to have an older mono recording of the work thinking it was the Stereo version.
      I don't think the stereo Bruch has ever been on CD in Europe, but it is available in Japan:
      Zino Francescatti,Zino Francescatti Plays Violin Concertos,CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

There's real scope for one of Sony's single artist boxes devoted to him - it would be wonderful to have it. He was a fantastic player and one who is, as mikealdren says, often overlooked.

Comment

• Lordgeous
        • Dec 2012

I grew up with his recording of the Walton Violin Concerto. Great piece & great performance.

Comment

• richardfinegold
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
          I don't think the stereo Bruch has ever been on CD in Europe, but it is available in Japan:
          Zino Francescatti,Zino Francescatti Plays Violin Concertos,CD Album listed at CDJapan! Get it delivered safely by SAL, EMS, FedEx and save with CDJapan Rewards!

There's real scope for one of Sony's single artist boxes devoted to him - it would be wonderful to have it. He was a fantastic player and one who is, as mikealdren says, often overlooked.
          Thanks! Just ordered it.
          Last edited by richardfinegold; 15-02-15, 14:40.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

I grew up with many ZF recordings, but I have read many critics that complain of his tone and intonation.

Comment

• mikealdren
              • Nov 2010

I've heard complaint about his tone and fast vibrato but not his intonation, Isaac Stern was the one who really suffered there. I like his sound, it has real intensity and focus, a friend who heard him live says his sound really carried to the back of the hall.

Mike

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mikealdren View Post
                I've heard complaint about his tone and fast vibrato but not his intonation, Isaac Stern was the one who really suffered there. I like his sound, it has real intensity and focus, a friend who heard him live says his sound really carried to the back of the hall.

Mike
                Yes. A very under-rated player.

Comment

• Dave2002
                  • Dec 2010

I grew up with many ZF recordings, but I have read many critics that complain of his tone and intonation.
                  We had one of his recordings - I thought it was Brahms/Walter, but might have been Beethoven with Ormandy. I remember thinking that his tone sounded weak and silvery, with some less than perfect intonation. However, I didn't realise how many recordings he made, nor did I realise that he wasn't Italian/American. I did hear Stern live - and he really attacked his violin with gusto, so that hairs came off his bow. Stern was Russian/American - and somewhat younger than Francescatti. - 1902 vs 1920.

It could certainly be time for a reappraisal of Zino F, and there are quite a lot of recordings to choose from, though not all may be currently available on CD. While some may show intonation flaws, his tone may be distinctive on several of them, and I would venture to suggest it would be rather a sweet one.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

The Francescatti arrived airmail today from Japan, 11 days after ordered. It is a 2 CD set, coupled with Mendelssohn, Lalo (Symphonie Espagnole), and Sibelius Concertos.
                    One curious feature. The Bruch recording puts Francescatti well deep into the mix. The other Concertos in this collection have the familiar spotlighting of the soloist but for some reason the Bruch is a more realistic sounding recording. I pulled out an lp of the Bruch and the spotlighting is present on the lp, and that was the way I remember the lp sounding.

Comment

• visualnickmos
                      • Nov 2010

The Francescatti arrived airmail today from Japan, 11 days after ordered. It is a 2 CD set, coupled with Mendelssohn, Lalo (Symphonie Espagnole), and Sibelius Concertos.
                      One curious feature. The Bruch recording puts Francescatti well deep into the mix. The other Concertos in this collection have the familiar spotlighting of the soloist but for some reason the Bruch is a more realistic sounding recording. I pulled out an lp of the Bruch and the spotlighting is present on the lp, and that was the way I remember the lp sounding.
                      I'm guessing the Sibelius in the set is with Bernstein/NYPO - a fabulous performance, this.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
                        I'm guessing the Sibelius in the set is with Bernstein/NYPO - a fabulous performance, this.
                        It is the same and yes, it is my favorite Sibelius VC recording. The Sibelius has been available and in my collection, but the digital version of the Bruch has only been available from Japan

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
                          I grew up with his recording of the Walton Violin Concerto. Great piece & great performance.
                          and coupled with a great performance of the Sibelius at the other side.

Comment

Working...
                          X