• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

BBC Music mag - Sibelius edition

Hi everyone

Spotted this in Tesco this morning and wondered if anyone had it and what they thought of the cover disc of the Sibelius 4, Finlandia, Swan of Tuonela etc with the BBC Scottish SO, the symphony under Manze and the tone poem(s) under Dausgaard.

Thanks
    Last edited by Karafan; 28-01-15, 15:10.
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Is this the current issue? The issue on the stands here has some other music featured.

Comment

• pastoralguy
      • Nov 2010

Hi Karafan. I'm not a great fan of Manze's conducting but I did enjoy this Sibelius 4. Well played and recorded.

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
      Hi everyone

Spotted this in Tesco this morning and wondered if anyone had it and what they thought of the cover disc of the Sibelius 4, Finlandia, Swan of Tuonela etc with the BBC Scottish SO, the symphony under Manze and the tone poem(s) under Dausgaard.

Thanks

Comment

• Karafan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Hi Karafan. I'm not a great fan of Manze's conducting but I did enjoy this Sibelius 4. Well played and recorded.
        Thanks - and yes I took it to be the current/new issue.
        "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Thanks - and yes I took it to be the current/new issue.
          Yes it is the current issue.

I'm not too happy with repertoire choices on recent BBC MM CDs as they are tending to be of over-familiar pieces of which I have dozens of versions. I've had a big sort out of them and agreat many have gone off to the charity shops round here and, goodness knows, there are enough of them so I divided them out between them.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

I saw this in WHSmiths in Leeds last week. Manze is a superb RVW conductor and I'd be interested to hear his Sibelius. But I'll wait until I see the disc in a charity shop as the Magazine rarely interests me.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

The issue here features Rostropovich playing Bach.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                • Nov 2010

It was interesting to hear Manze conduct Sibelius 4, but not one for the archive. It's a very warm measured performance which to my ears is severely short of tension.
                Perhaps the recording plays a part in giving this impression, because it lacks immediacy. The Dausgaard performances of Finlandia and The Swan of Tuonela are more convincing.
                I absolutely agree about Manze's quality when conducting RVW, perhaps Sibelius isn't quite his grab.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                  The issue here features Rostropovich playing Bach.
                  That's better

Comment

• Karafan
                    • Nov 2010

Thanks to all for weighing-in. At £5.50 and bearing in mind I am a tightfisted Yorkshireman, it has all been very helpful....

Comment

• Karafan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                      Manze is a superb RVW conductor and I'd be interested to hear his Sibelius.
                      I take it he hasn't recorded any RVW yet, Ferney? A search proved somewhat fruitless....
                      K

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                        • Nov 2010

I take it he hasn't recorded any RVW yet, Ferney? A search proved somewhat fruitless....
                        K
                        This to come though K http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/int...e-and-the-RLPO

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

K
                          No - I was going by his astonishing Live performances (that triple bill Prom of a couple of years ago especially). But, as Edgey points out, a new recorded cycle is due.
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                          X