X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • otterhouse
    • Dec 2010

Remember Collins Classics? :-)

I've wrote a small article about Collins Classics and a playlist of some favorite recordings:

classical playlist spotify . A blog about classical music playlists on Spotify . Beethoven Mozart Vivaldi Max Bruch . Orchestra violin piano cello

I can still remember that a Dutch warehouse had these records for 10 guilders each (full price was 52 guilders those days) and I was sò thrilled to afford these CD's... :-)

Curious what you think of the CD's. The Mozart CD with Vasary is my favorite, and trio Zingara, Duke quartet are some fond memories too...

Rolf, Netherlands
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

There's a list of Collins Classics recordings that are still available (though download only) here:

Interesting that Tamas Vasary appears as a conductor on a number of recordings, e.g. Mendelssohn symphonies and Mozart wind concertos. There look to be some good items there, e.g. the Barshai/Philharmonia Prokofiev symphonies 1&5.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Weren't some of them reissued by Naxos?

Comment

• Parry1912
        • Nov 2010

Yes, I think they were. Some Britten recordings with Stuart Bedford come to mind.
        Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... three marvellous Collins CDs of Pièces de Clavecin from the Bauyn Manuscript, Jane Chapman on a gorgeous 1614 Ruckers harpsichord : 'Beau Génie', 'Divers Styles dans l' Eloquence', 'La Belle Manière de Toucher' - works by Louis Couperin, Froberger, Frescobaldi, Chambonnières, Pinel, d' Anglebert, Mezangeot, Luigi Rossi, du Mont, Hardel, Monnard, Gautier, Richard, la Barre...

Comment

• Rolmill
            • Nov 2010

There were some very nice English song recordings (Quilter, Lehmann, Holst, Vaughan Williams etc), some or all of which I think were reissued on Naxos.

I also still have Collins CDs of Wagner overtures (Simonov), Bizet L'Arlesienne (Haydon Clarke), Schubert partsongs (BBC Singers/Glover - very good) and R Strauss choral music (BBC Singers/Cleobury - also pretty good). Probably several others I can't bring to mind right now.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I like the Zingara Beethoven Trios which I picked up very cheap at the time. I got a nice Vanburgh String Quartet Schubert/Haydn disc after seeing them live.

Also a recommendable Purcell disc now resurfaced on the Sixteen's own Coro label

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Best thing they ever did was the series of Max Davies' Orchestral Music, happily revived on Naxos since... but there was also some first-rate Birtwistle, the Antiphonies/Nomos/Imaginary Landscape (Boulez/Macgregor) never recorded elsewhere IIRC, and Earth Dances, the Prom/BBCSO with Eotvos...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Best thing they ever did was the series of Max Davies' Orchestral Music, happily revived on Naxos since... but there was also some first-rate Birtwistle, the Antiphonies/Nomos/Imaginary Landscape (Boulez/Macgregor) never recorded elsewhere IIRC, and Earth Dances, the Prom/BBCSO with Eotvos...
                  Antiphonies was conducted by Michael Gielen, Nomos and An Imaginary Landscape by Paul Daniel - the UK premiere of Antiphonies was conducted by Boulez (I was there - and somewhere I have a cassette of that broadcast performance).

Earth Dances was in the initial batch of CD singles devoted to contemporary British Music, one of the highlights of the label.
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Jonathan
                    • Mar 2007

I enjoyed their Moszkowski Piano music with Seta Tanyel (now on Helios) and also the Scharwenka Piano Works (and piano concertos). Might give one of these a spin later...
                    Best regards,
                    Jonathan

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Parry1912 View Post
                      Yes, I think they were. Some Britten recordings with Stuart Bedford come to mind.

Yes.

This

was re-released as this:

For some reason I own the latter having also owned the former. Not sure why. Either to save space (the Naxos edition is a single-CD box, the Collins was a box-set); or I lent the Collins edition to someone and never got it back!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                        Yes indeed. I have some of those Maxwell Davies CDs and Naxos has done a great service in restoring them to circulation.

I was present at the Earth Dances, BBCSO/Eotvos performance at the 1991 Proms. I remember I'd spent a very hot day in Portsmouth (HMS Victory, Mary Rose) and raced back to the Albert Hall and dashed into the Arena just as the conductor stepped on stage. Those were the days.

Maxim Shostakovich also recorded some of his father's music with the LSO and I felt it a pity it never became a complete cycle.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                          Ex-member
                          • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Yes indeed. I have some of those Maxwell Davies CDs and Naxos has done a great service in restoring them to circulation.

I was present at the Earth Dances, BBCSO/Eotvos performance at the 1991 Proms. I remember I'd spent a very hot day in Portsmouth (HMS Victory, Mary Rose) and raced back to the Albert Hall and dashed into the Arena just as the conductor stepped on stage. Those were the days.

Maxim Shostakovich also recorded some of his father's music with the LSO and I felt it a pity it never became a complete cycle.
                          Yep, I had all those Collins releases, back in the day. A lot of our CDs overlap, it seems.

One Collins Classics that was a favourite of mine was this Strauss disc. Spectacular sound quality and great performances.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

I really was completely unaware of Jacek Kaspszyk - http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...yk&prev=search

Sounds as though we should check him out.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                              I really was completely unaware of Jacek Kaspszyk - http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...yk&prev=search

Sounds as though we should check him out.
                              I've got an excellent recording of Rachmaninov 2 with the Philharmonia and Kaspszyk.

Comment

Working...
                              X