X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black Swan
    • Sep 2024

Tweets on CD Review

Oh, no. Tweets have now infected CD review. Andrew just announced he was playing a recording of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony and gave listeners 1 minute 20 seconds to tweet a guess what orchestra was performing.

Of course he received not tweets. Please, please, Andrew drop this.....
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
    Oh, no. Tweets have now infected CD review. Andrew just announced he was playing a recording of Prokofiev's Classical Symphony and gave listeners 1 minute 20 seconds to tweet a guess what orchestra was performing.

Of course he received not tweets. Please, please, Andrew drop this.....
    I can confirm that the FoR3 preliminary survey results have CD Review and particularly AM, coming out top of the 'Likes' (progs and presenters) while 'tweets' &c have attracted almost 100% unanimity from all, differing only from 'No' to 'NO NO NO, A THOUSAND TIMES NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!', 'LOATHE', 'HATE', 'DETEST' ....

Hope you'll be backing the winner here, Swanny.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Black Swan

I am happy to back the winner on this one, FF.

Comment

• Anna

Aren't tweets merely seen as a way of increasing R3's profile and thereby (possibly) gaining listeners? This morning James Jolly played some Cochereau and at the end read out a listener's tweet which said "it was weird but groovy" So on the tweeter's page, the original tweet "this bolero organ thing @ Radio 3 is kinda weird but groovy" when I looked had been retweeted 6 times and had numerous 'likes' and the tweeter had then tweeted on a Fame at Last webpage that his name had been read out on Radio 3 and presumably this had been retweeted X number of times. Actually there were 2 tweets submitted to R3, the other was similar in wording but that person didn't have as many followers who might have retweeted it ......

So I think, as many people live their life via social media, and it must influence their listening habits, if something gets a lot of retweets, or even starts trending, this is seen as A Good Thing for the station. I think we'll just have to live with it.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

I don't think we do have to live with it - unless someone is going to provide evidence that is DOES increase the number of listeners. That merely seems like evidence of someone delighting at having their name read out on the radio. What will that do except (possibly) attract others wanting to have their names read out and report it on Fame at Last?

Who knows, Radio 3 may become the new Trending Youth Station - but what will that actually achieve, other than another station based on tweeters, texters, and the latest pop group that is 'into' classical? And as listening to other programmes goes down because a section of the listenership has departed, those are the programmes that will be next for the axe.
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Aren't tweets merely seen as a way of increasing R3's profile and thereby (possibly) gaining listeners? This morning James Jolly played some Cochereau and at the end read out a listener's tweet which said "it was weird but groovy"
            Definitely someone from the baby-boomer's generation, Anna: who else would write "groovy" today, let alone be able to spell "weird" correctly?

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              Definitely someone from the baby-boomer's generation, Anna: who else would write "groovy" today, let alone be able to spell "weird" correctly?
              Hiya SerialApologist,

In this grand scheme to widen the listenership of the station it puzzles me why anyone would start listening to a radio programme just because one can tweet it. In truth, I am listening to Classic FM more than I ever did, at least its doesn't pretend to be what it's not. Radio 3 is in grave fear of loosing it's stalwart listeners and not gaining any new ones.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                Hiya SerialApologist,

In this grand scheme to widen the listenership of the station it puzzles me why anyone would start listening to a radio programme just because one can tweet it. In truth, I am listening to Classic FM more than I ever did, at least its doesn't pretend to be what it's not. Radio 3 is in grave fear of loosing it's stalwart listeners and not gaining any new ones.
                And, as I suggested, there's an almost 100% match between those who like CD Review and DETEST tweets 'n texts. If anything could stop people wanting to listen to CDR, tweets would probably do the trick before long. Listener psychology is fascinating: 'Listeners have their reasons which reason knows nothing of.'

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

To me it is in just the same vein as those horrendous phone-ins - they turned me off Sunday morning on R3 for good. I want to hear the music, NOT Joe Bloggs calling in as to why such and such a piece is so special to him and his missus. Is it really too much to ask?

Comment

Working...
                  X