X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

VPO The Orchestral Edition

Just after Christmas, faced with a trip to hospital, I decided to treat myself to the latest Decca bumper box of VPO recordings, 65 CDs for about £115, although as usual it was cheaper at the time of first release.
    The discs are in cardboard sleeves in a handsome box, no liner notes, but all the recording dates engineers and locations are listed in the handsome book accompanying the collection. All the original sleeves are printed in colour in the book, but not on the discs themselves.

I fancied this collection because there are surprisingly few duplicates for me, and many reissues of performers such as Schmidt-Isserstet, Mehta, Backhaus, Schuricht etc. Some choices are a little odd. Why are there no less than five CDs of Viennese waltzes, including a great deal of duplication in this New Year material? Admittedly we get performances by Knappertsbusch and Krips along with Boskovsky, but it does seem a rather lazily chosen selection.

A different conductor conducts, each Bruckner symphony, so we get Abbado, Stein, Bohm, Bohm again, Maazel, Stein, Solti, Solti, and Mehta. Again, the Brahms symphonies have Mehta, Schuricht, Bohm and Kertesz. The latter's first stereo recording of the New World Symphony is partnered by the fine Kondrashin version, and we also get Schiff in the Piano Concerto ( Not much of a favourite of mine)

I could enumerate many more interesting choices, but there is one serious disappointment, and that's the standard of mastering.I've made comparisons between discs in this box, and their earlier appearances on CD on labels like The Decca Sound, and in every case that I've checked so far the sound in the new edition is inferior. Just a few examples. The Curzon / Knappertsbusch Emperor sounds very lumpy and congested in the new edition, on the earlier release there's much more space and better piano clarity. It is rather odd, because the two Mozart concertos with Szell are fine.Similar problems afflict the famous Karan Planets. As for his Sleeping Beauty selection, there's really no comparison, the big climax and tam tam smash in the Adagio sound really coarse, as does Jupiter from the Planets.

Just one final oddity. Mehta conducts Gottfried von Einem's Philadelphia Symphony. I was curious about this one. The stereo positioning is very clear, but the whole performance has an intense piercing sound quality coupled with exaggerated dynamics. I can't help wondering whether this was an early Dolby recording and the transfer engineer has not set the de-dolby before mastering the disc.

This box contains some fascinating performances that haven't been around for quite a while, and it's very welcome, I just wish that the technical care matched the quality of the packaging.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I'm green with envy, qualified by your comments on the mastering.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      I just wish that the technical care matched the quality of the packaging.
      It's usually the other way round in my experience.

There's far too much duplication for me to even consider purchasing this set but if I was considering it I'd be alarmed at your comments on the technical side. Decca recordings were justly famous from the technical as well as the musical point of view and those I've got that are in this set (nearly all of them) still sound astonishingly good, I've no complaints at all about the remastering of those I have.
      Last edited by Petrushka; 23-01-15, 00:02.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

I had been toying with the thought of getting this set but after your comments about the pour technical quality I will give it a miss.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Thanks for the warning, Ferretf - and I hope the hospital experience was a total success.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

I have to say that I wasn't the least bit troubled by these apparently different masterings. The ones I compared with earlier issues sounded identical, and none of them sounded troublesome on my system. If this set appeals then I wouldn't say the sound was any reason to hesitate.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Now I'm curious about that Philadelphia Symphony! Sounds most intriguing, I've never heard it before.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Alison - http://open.spotify.com/track/68pek1cdvEnIg4VjyahEoE

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                  • Nov 2010

I would not want to warn people off this box, since there are a number of performances which are outstanding. After all, I've only been able to compare some of the duplicates in my collection. It's just that I've been surprised by the reduction in warmth and spaciousness on the discs I've checked. Even the lovely Clemens Krauss version of Aus Italien sounds better in its mastering on Testament.
                  There are many attractions though.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Thanks for the warning, Ferretf - and I hope the hospital experience was a total success.
                    Thanks ferney, yes it was, still recuperating but fine!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

The box does of course also include the VPO/Kleiber Eroica !

Hope that speeds up your recovery FF .

Comment

• Roehre

Hope the contents of the box nevertheless are speedying up your recovery

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

Comment

• mathias broucek
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              The box does of course also include the VPO/Kleiber Eroica !
                              But not the stereo version alas - the idiots at Decca managed to "lose" the master tape....

Have always hoped it would turn up one day - for many years they "forgot" about the stereo master tape of the infamous Kna recording of Bruckner 5 (ed Schalk) and put out a version in fake stereo

Comment

Working...
                              X