Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gordon
    • Nov 2010

Trawling through the net for versions of the WTC I came across one Frank French!! Piano version using Young's temperament. Sampling revealed somewhat prosaic playing and boxy piano tone.

Anyone know what temperament Butt uses? I've seen the CD booklet and it doesn't seem to say, it's all about the approach to tempo.

I'm gratified to see that the recording was made about 6 or 7 miles up the road from here at the little church in Woodhay. Used quite a bit for recording and also the Newbury Festival where we heard the Takacs a couple of years ago. It's not far from Highclere castle home of Downton Abbey and not far from the home of Gerald Finzi at Ashmansworth.

Last edited by Gordon; 12-01-15, 13:00.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

What a difference closer listening makes! I listened to the extracts from JB's 48 recordings from CD Review, and I really didn't get on with the irregularities in tempo which Andrew mentioned. These seem to be both within bars, and also across bars. Perhaps this problem doesn't apply to all the pieces which might explain some of the better reviews, but the examples chosen were disappointing.

Comment

• Gordon
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
        What a difference closer listening makes! I listened to the extracts from JB's 48 recordings from CD Review, and I really didn't get on with the irregularities in tempo which Andrew mentioned. These seem to be both within bars, and also across bars. Perhaps this problem doesn't apply to all the pieces which might explain some of the better reviews, but the examples chosen were disappointing.
        If you go to the linn url in #15 and get the booklet you'll get a justification for the tempo choices. Whaqtever the pedigree of the academic sources they still don't sound right but that's possibly because they are unfamiliar. I wonder if one could get used to them?

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

I have tried to play some of the pieces. I don't think I could get used to hearing them played with such irregularities - even though my own playing is no yardstick and certainly would leave a lot to be desired. It's not (only) the tempi that I found unacceptable but the unevenness of the playing.

Comment

Working...
          X