X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosie55
    • Oct 2011

Interesting interview on contemporary song

I like the prestoclassical interviews and this one on contemporary song relating to three recent CDs on Naxos and NMC contains some interesting thoughts, and information on the composers. The Jonathan Dove CD has done very well, and I can hear why.
    David talks to pianist Andrew Matthews-Owen about three new discs of British song, including works by Alun Hoddinott, Charlotte Bray and Jonathan Dove.

Any thoughts ?
  • GrahamH

Thanks for bringing this to our attention Rosie. I have been listening to the Dove disc and like it very much - definitely one to buy, especially as I've been collecting the English Song series since Collins Classics days. Nicky Spence is a singer I've been listening to with great pleasure over the past few months - his Shakespeare and Turnage recitals on Resonus especially. I'm just starting to listen to the Hoddinott and so far liking what I hear. Much material here for further research and listening.

Comment

• Rosie55
      • Oct 2011

Hi Graham. I agree, the English Song series is a real treasure trove, and the Dove is a very fitting inclusion. The Hoddinott I found so much more effective whilst reading the poems, particularly in Landscapes and Towy Landscape. I adore the folk song setting that end the disc. Charming and not overdone...
      Originally posted by GrahamH View Post
      Thanks for bringing this to our attention Rosie. I have been listening to the Dove disc and like it very much - definitely one to buy, especially as I've been collecting the English Song series since Collins Classics days. Nicky Spence is a singer I've been listening to with great pleasure over the past few months - his Shakespeare and Turnage recitals on Resonus especially. I'm just starting to listen to the Hoddinott and so far liking what I hear. Much material here for further research and listening.

Comment

Working...
      X