Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Thanks Karafan, Brendel's recorded legacy is a bit confusing, because it is very large, extends over many decades and was put out on various labels. He did refer very dismissively in the interview to his first recordings, on Vox and Turnabout: I dont know if D. 960 was among them. I remember Turnabout LPs very well, though I dont think I still have any: they were cheap and featured all sorts of music the other labels seem to ignore. I imagine they were swallowed up by one of the bigger companies: does anyone know what happened to them?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
      Kernelbogey, the recording I was referring to was a Philips LP, 6500 285, dated 1971. I havent managed to track down a CD issue, but I expect there is one.
      Is this Philips CD 420 644-2, recorded November 1971, Salzburg, coupled with Wanderer? I too used to have it on LP.

Comment

• umslopogaas
        • Nov 2010

RT, I think it must be. The LP notes dont say where the recording was made, but it is dated 1971 and the cover photo is credited to "Dapra, Salzburg".

Comment

• kernelbogey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
          RT, I think it must be [Philips CD 420 644-2]. The LP notes dont say where the recording was made, but it is dated 1971 and the cover photo is credited to "Dapra, Salzburg".
          Well I've ordered a second-hand copy from the River People, holding my nose: Presto Classical had it only on download, which I'm not yet into.

Thanks to all for the sleuthing. I shall be interested to compare it, when it arrives, with the one I have:
          Originally posted by Karafan View Post
          Just for clarification, the D960 in the German Universal box (Brendel spielt Schubert), is the 1971 (published 1972) performance.

Comment

• greenilex
            • Nov 2010

Thanks for the pointer on this one. Fascinating, informative and very, very wise. I have heard him play on several precious occasions.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Re. Brendel's 1971 recording of D960, there are at least two different digital transfers available. That in the 7 disc German Eloquence box is the more recent and has the AMSI artificial surround process applied to it. There is also an earlier transfer, by BITSTREAM, to be found in Decca Duo double album of later sonatas, etc. You pays your money and makes your choice. My ears are happier with the earlier BITSTREAM transfer without the artificial surround processing, though that processing does not entirely ruin the later transfer. Perhaps the Australian Eloquence label will get round to issuing a new, non-AMSI, transfer.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

This is my CD - a single CD which I bought in (I think) the 1980s to replace the LP. Down the page it says "Country Germany, Year Unknown" for 420 644-2. On the CD it says Recorded: Salzburg 11/1971. This would presumably be the Bitstream transfer! This was the LP.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  This is my CD - a single CD which I bought in (I think) the 1980s to replace the LP. Down the page it says "Country Germany, Year Unknown" for 420 644-2. On the CD it says Recorded: Salzburg 11/1971. This would presumably be the Bitstream transfer! This was the LP.
                  You prompted a visit to my garage (LP storage facility). Rather cold in there but I found my vinyl version which was one of my earliest classical music purchases over 40 years ago. I have recently got his later set on 7CDs, so I think I will probably restrain myself from getting that twofer of the earlier versions of the late sonatas mentioned above, tempting though it is.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                    Gone fishin'
                    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    You prompted a visit to my garage (LP storage facility). Rather cold in there but I found my vinyl version which was one of my earliest classical music purchases over 40 years ago. I have recently got his later set on 7CDs, so I think I will probably restrain myself from getting that twofer of the earlier versions of the late sonatas mentioned above, tempting though it is.
                    What not even the "onefer", for just £1.61 (which includes P&P!) "used" from zoverstocks, gurne?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                    X