X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David-G
    • Mar 2012

Mozart "Gran Partita" K361

I am considering this as a Christmas present - I wonder if you knowledgeable folks on the Forum can recommend a recording? I might be inclined to prefer a "HIPP" performance. Thank you in advance!
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David-G View Post
    I am considering this as a Christmas present - I wonder if you knowledgeable folks on the Forum can recommend a recording? I might be inclined to prefer a "HIPP" performance. Thank you in advance!
    this would make a very nice present, and maybe leave a few bob in the budget for a nice card ?!

hours of lovely music, beautifully played.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

If you want HIPP, you can't go far wrong with AAM/Hogwood in Mozart.

Though Marriner's a good non-HIPP alternative.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

There's a lovely double album DECCA recording of the Gran Partita together with six other Wind Serenades performed by the Amadeus Winds conducted by Christopher Hogwood for around a tenner, D-G:

... it gets one poor review on this Amazon site, but as that refers to "extraneous bow sounds" (there aren't any string players involved!) I don't think it needs to be taken seriously.

Less easily obtainable - but worth bearing in mind if you see it second-hand or in a charity shop - is the BBC Music Magazine cover CD, with the Wind soloists of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, directed by Anthony Halstead:

And, away from HIPP recordings, I wouldn't be without Furtwangler (Mono sound notwithstanding):
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Purcellian

Less easily obtainable - but worth bearing in mind if you see it second-hand or in a charity shop - is the BBC Music Magazine cover CD, with the Wind soloists of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, directed by Anthony Halstead:
          You don't need to scour the charity shops for 2nd hand copies, as this period-instrument Mozart '13 wind' CD is easily obtainable brand new at a very low price of £2.90 plus P&P from this shop:

I've just bought half a dozen for Xmas presents!

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

Well worth thinking about this one. Not on old instruments but certainly HIPP-inspired, and a truly lovely performance in my view:

Comment

• Gordon
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              There's a lovely double album DECCA recording of the Gran Partita together with six other Wind Serenades performed by the Amadeus Winds conducted by Christopher Hogwood for around a tenner, D-G:

... it gets one poor review on this Amazon site, but as that refers to "extraneous bow sounds" (there aren't any string players involved!) I don't think it needs to be taken seriously.

And, away from HIPP recordings, I wouldn't be without Furtwangler (Mono sound notwithstanding):
              http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozart-Seren...2C+Furtwangler
              Isn't there an optional double bass part? The Hogwood is very good but I like the old Netherlands WE on Philips - first recording I had etc.

Comment

• Roehre

... it gets one poor review on this Amazon site, but as that refers to "extraneous bow sounds" (there aren't any string players involved!) I don't think it needs to be taken seriously....
                Be careful here, as the bassoon part may well be performed on a double bass

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

I had bought a recording by the Collegium Aureum, probably dating from the early 1970s, and it's still what I turn to.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                    Isn't there an optional double bass part? The Hogwood is very good but I like the old Netherlands WE on Philips - first recording I had etc.
                    Hmmm... how can the double -bass part be 'optional' when there is a clear indication by Mozart of 'pizzicato' in several places?
                    On this textual point alone all the advocates of a contrabassoon as the only bass instrument really do get 'egg on their faces'!
                    Having said that, I do remember that one of the most enjoyable performances of K361 that I ever took part in was with the LSO wind section in about 1970 conducted by the much-lamented Istvan Kertesz, in the Royal Festival Hall.
                    Mr K really was, on that occasion, the 'cat that got the cream', as the ensemble boasted not only a 'string bass' ( the estimable Stuart Knussen, father of Ollie) but a contra-bassoon as well!
                    K361 the Serenade for 14 instruments!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Gordon & Roehre - of course! Can't say the bow noises were particularly intrusive in this recording, though.

Purcellian - many thanks for that link; and welcome to the Forum!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• JFLL
                        • Jan 2011

... the bow noises ...
                        If you want a curiosity with bow noises, try this quintet arrangement by a near-contemporary for oboe, piano and strings:

(I'm not sure why Schwencke bothered, though, really ... )

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

I like the Hogwood version, but I also have a similar vintage HIP recording of Paul Dombrecht's Octophorus group...I've searched for it on the web but it appears to have long vanished. A pity, it is good.

Comment

• Lion-of-Vienna
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            ... I also have a similar vintage HIP recording of Paul Dombrecht's Octophorus group...I've searched for it on the web but it appears to have long vanished. A pity, it is good.
                            There is a recording by Octophoros conducted by Barthold Kuijken. Is this the same group? It is available on Amazon (pricey) and also on Spotify and Naxos Music Library.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

"extraneous bow sounds"
                              Perhaps the performers' corsets were creaking when they acknowledged the audience at the end of the performance?

I do like the Gran Partita - it's about the only instrumental Mozart I can tolerate. Perhaps I'll look into some of the recommendations.

Comment

Working...
                              X