X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

Suzuki Bach Cantatas Vol 5 Box

A few years ago BIS issued four 10 CD boxes containing the first forty releases of the series.

It now seems that they have released a 'Limited Edition" fifth box containing CDs 41 to 55 of the series. I came across it on the JPC.de website where it is on offer at 69.99 Euros.

This is great news for anyone who bought the previous four box sets and hasn't acquired any of the subsequent CDs.

Die CD Johann Sebastian Bach: Kantaten "Nun danket alle Gott!" (BIS-Edition) jetzt portofrei kaufen. Mehr von Johann Sebastian Bach gibt es im Shop.

[Later Edit]
    I see that Presto Classical has it priced at £62.50 (+p&p) with a release date of 1st December and MDT are selling it for £54.75 (+p&p), also with a release date of 1st December. As yet I can't see it on Amazon UK.

The MDT link is: http://www.mdt.co.uk/bach-vols-41-55...bis-15cds.html
    Last edited by johnb; 08-11-14, 22:58.
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

I bought the individual CDs as they appeared, which possibly means that I listened to them more thoroughly than I might have done if I got the bumper boxes, still, it's a bit maddening when I think of the cost!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      I bought the individual CDs as they appeared, which possibly means that I listened to them more thoroughly than I might have done if I got the bumper boxes, still, it's a bit maddening when I think of the cost!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• johnb
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Yes, that is very much the problem with big boxes.

I do miss the time when I had to save up to buy an LP and then treasured it and listened to it until I knew it backwards. It is wonderful to have such an incredibly vast array of recorded music available cheaply but I do think we (or at least I) have lost something at the same time.
        Last edited by johnb; 09-11-14, 11:59.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Likewise, the Passions seem to be boxed together now for a price much cheaper than the St Matthew alone, on CD.

Anyone got the StMP? I heard Robin Blaze's "Erbarme dich" on Private Passions the other day and it sounded exceptional. Tempted by the even cheaper download of the whole StMP.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
            • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Likewise, the Passions seem to be boxed .........Anyone got the StMP? I heard Robin Blaze's "Erbarme dich" on Private Passions the other day and it sounded exceptional. Tempted by the even cheaper download of the whole StMP.
            Leaving aside the worthy and valid (but difficult to follow) view its sacrilege to divorce "Erbarme dich" from the whole drama of the St Matthew Passion, that piece - that recording of it, is in my view complete perfection - and I use that CD track as one of the recordings I know so well when auditioning audio equipment (not that I do that particularly frequently, even less so these days).

I've noted you are mightily pleased with reproduction via your Airport Express Caliban - If you are ok with downloads then the eclassical site (prop BIS) offers the same plus Christmas Oratorio, Mass in B minor, Easter and Ascension Oratorios for about $40 - for FLAC lossless. Their download "bundles" page is worth looking at (but make sure you check the "all" button there are 22 of them at present.
            Download Classical Music in lossless High Resolution FLAC & MP3 formats, and learn about Classical Music. Refund Policy, No DRM protection and pricing is per second.

Back on topic, its good to see that BIS have done the decent thing with the final Cantatas collection - for those who bought the preceding sets. (Presumably this precedes a complete collection release?).

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

My sadness is that BIS have told me that it is unlikely that they will ever box their enormous CPE Bach keyboard concertos/sonatas series - I was really hoping to be able to afford it and get my hands on it at last.

Comment

• vinteuil
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                My sadness is that BIS have told me that it is unlikely that they will ever box their enormous CPE Bach keyboard concertos/sonatas series - I was really hoping to be able to afford it and get my hands on it at last.
                ... but - and perhaps this might give us a faint hope? - BIS also said (when I asked them) that they had no intention of bringing out a box 5 to complete their boxes of Bach cantatas - and this they have now done grr grrrr ggrrrrrr

So - mayhap - they may reverse their current ntentions as far as the CPE Bach works are concerned....

here's hopin'.

Comment

• MickyD
                  • Nov 2010

Indeed, Vints...wow, what a box set THAT one would be!

Comment

• Karafan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    [COLOR="#0000FF"]Likewise, the Passions seem to be boxed together now for a price much cheaper than the St Matthew alone, on CD.
                    Thanks for that heads-up, Cali. I just picked up that box from your link from a new and used seller for under £4!!!! Bargain! Merry Christmas!
                    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Working...
                    X