X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

I do like the idea, but it's practical use is extremely limited.

Comment

• Dave2002
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Phase 4 recordings do sound better in lo-fi setups, such as "normal' computers where dynamic range can be an issue.
      Is there not an "app" to simulate a lo-fi setup? If so, then maybe - if you are right - the CDs would sound better that way.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

I do like the idea, but its practical use is extremely limited.
        The recent remastering of the CBS Bernstein Mahler cycle does this, too: a real challenge for my new specs.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

I do like the idea, but it's practical use is extremely limited.
          Perhaps this would be useful.

I like the look of the Phase 4 Box duplications deter me a little but maybe sell-on potential might help my decision.

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            The recent remastering of the CBS Bernstein Mahler cycle does this, too: a real challenge for my new specs.
            As does also the RCA (Sony) Van Cliburn box. Real surprise is seeing the adverts on the backs of some of the "LPs".

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
              Eine Alp, my 63 CD box of RCA recordings conducted by Fritz Reiner has the same design: the CD cardboard sleeves are reduced versions of the original American RCA LSC series LPs. And yes, the notes on the back are a strain on my eyesight too!
              My gripe with these boxes is the lack of an inner sleeve in the cardboard envelope. I think it's my background as a vinyl collector which makes me want to avoid scratching when removing the discs. A few provide an inner sleeve (the Beatles in Mono box, for example), but otherwise they go straight into the cardboard. I've managed to buy some Japanses inner sleeves, but they are slightly over-sized, which causes bunching in the outer sleeve.

Does anyone else who shares my obesession have a solution - such as a source for these sleeves?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Minor surface scratches on CDs can be polished out, and there are no grooves to trap dirt. So with reasonable care, the card sleeves should do no harm. You can buy sleeves at Rymans.

Or Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compucessory...rds=cd+sleeves

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post

One of the great things that Stokowski achieved around that time with his LSO concerts was to force the RFH's 'stage jobsworths' to CLOSE THE ORGAN DOORS.
                  At a stroke, this achieved a clearer and more resonant acoustical projection of the orchestral sound owing to the hard reflecting surfaces of the organ doors rather than the usual deadening effect of the sound-absorbing 1000s of organ pipes behind the orchestra.
                  In retrospect it now seems absurd that this wasn't done automatically, and that it took a conductor of Stokowski's authority and sheer 'clout' to get the RFH's stage staff to do it ( albeit complaining and whingeing!)
                  I recall that happening for other conductors, and was at the time informed that the principal reason for the objection was the increased humidity within the organ chamber, necessitating some costly retuning.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Minor surface scratches on CDs can be polished out, and there are no grooves to trap dirt. So with reasonable care, the card sleeves should do no harm. You can buy sleeves at Rymans.

Or Amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Compucessory...rds=cd+sleeves
                    Or Poundland!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Having listened to a good selection of the 40 CD set, most of the recordings have not sounded ridiculously artificial in balance as I had feared, though the overall effect can be a little tiring.

However, the disc "The Magnificent Voice of Eileen Farrell" does sound like "Friday Night is Music Night" in its sound balance. I was concerned that the dreadful flat sound of the Phase 4 "HMS Pinafore" might be typical, but it hasn't been the case up to now.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

Of course, Decca Phase4 took advantage of the ability to record on multi-track tape. The classical wing of Decca did not do the balances on the phase4 discs, instead they were done by Tony D'Amato and his team from Decca's pop division. James Locke once said that he always knew when the Phase 4 people had been in for a session, as they always spilled coffee in the faders.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

The balance engineers were invariably Arthur Lilley, who showed a degree of subtlety and taste, and Arthur Bannister, who was more brash.
                          Arthur Bannister was the recording producer of the infamous HMS Pinafore.

However, for Orff's Carmina Burana, Kenneth Wilkinson was a balance engineer for this Kingsway Hall recording, and the quality shines through.

Comment

• Gordon
                            • Nov 2010

The balance engineers were invariably Arthur Lilley, who showed a degree of subtlety and taste, and Arthur Bannister, who was more brash.
                            Arthur Bannister was the recording producer of the infamous HMS Pinafore.

However, for Orff's Carmina Burana, Kenneth Wilkinson was a balance engineer for this Kingsway Hall recording, and the quality shines through.
                            Many of the P4 recordings were done at Kingsway. Most were sonic spectaculars but there are one or two rare ones that show the range of P4: Ives Symphony 2 [PFS 4251] with LSO and Herrmann in January 1972 and several popular pieces played on the KH organ [PFS 4074] date unknown but around 1964/5. Neither of these in the box of course. I think the latter must have been a spare session. I don't know of any other recordings of that organ - on its own - other than some short pieces from the 1920s and issued in CD by Amphion played among others by the splendidly named Reginald Goss-Custard. Difficult to see how the P4 20 channel system could enhance recording the organ unless the mics were inside the pipes!!

Not sure which Pinafore is referred above but a PFS 4097 has some excerpts recorded by Sargent at West Hampstead.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                              Not sure which Pinafore is referred above but a PFS 4097 has some excerpts recorded by Sargent at West Hampstead.
                              It was OPFS1/2, cond. James Walker. 1st ed of the Penguin Guide awarded it zero stars: "an artistic disaster...a perfect demonstration of how not to present G&S on disc...voices unrealistically close and dry...total lack of real atmosphere. The performance itself is little better..."

I think it deserves reissue and reassessment
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                                It was OPFS1/2, cond. James Walker. 1st ed of the Penguin Guide awarded it zero stars: "an artistic disaster...a perfect demonstration of how not to present G&S on disc...voices unrealistically close and dry...total lack of real atmosphere. The performance itself is little better..."

I think it deserves reissue and reassessment
                                I have it on CD, and it's every bit as bad as the Penguin Guide says. The 2 CD set also includes the G & S/Sargent excerpts referred to by Gordon.

Comment

Working...
                                X