• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Mahler 7 Simon Bolivar SO/Dudamel

Has anyone heard this yet?

I hardly need another Mahler 7 to add to the number on my shelves but I recall a truly superb performance that Dudamel gave with the Philharmonia last November. If this recording is anything like as good then it should be worth adding to the Christmas wish list. I see one Amazon reviewer thinks highly of it but gets put down in one of the comments. Normally, I tend to give Dudamel a wide berth but that Philharmonia concert was out of the top drawer.

Anyone?
    Last edited by Petrushka; 28-10-14, 16:36.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

We were lucky enough to hear the Dud in Berlin with the Philharmonic in Schubert's and Beethoven's fourth symphonys and two short suites by Stravinsky. IMHO, it was a superb evening of music making. The orchestra were clearly enthused by him and must add fire to the rumours that he will take over from Sir Simon.

I think he is definitely one to watch.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symph...hler+7+dudamel

I hardly need another Mahler 7 to add to the number on my shelves but I recall a truly superb performance that Dudamel gave with the Philharmonia last November. If this recording is anything like as good then it should be worth adding to the Christmas wish list. I see one Amazon reviewer thinks highly of it but gets put down in one of the comments. Normally, I tend to give Dudamel a wide berth but that Philharmonia concert was out of the top drawer.

Anyone?
      I'd noticed its release but haven't heard it.

I'd only say that the same forces' No 5 has been a favourite of mine since it was issued; and recently came joint top (with Kubelik's classic Bavarian account on DG) after the 'blind' listening by the critics of France-Musique, trouncing many a more 'mainstream' Mahler orchestra/conductor combination.

I shall be sampling and quite possibly purchasing. I don't think you can have too many readings of this most kaleidoscopic of symphonies
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

See this review in the Guardian - not good (2 stars)
        Gustavo Dudamel and Simón Bolívar’s deliver a well-played take on Mahler’s challenging work, but it doesn’t measure up to classic accounts, writes Andrew Clements

I've not seen any other reviews so far.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          See this review in the Guardian - not good (2 stars)
          Gustavo Dudamel and Simón Bolívar’s deliver a well-played take on Mahler’s challenging work, but it doesn’t measure up to classic accounts, writes Andrew Clements

I've not seen any other reviews so far.
          That's a short and dismissive review by any standard. I usually look for a bit more detail in reviews before I take them seriously but then Andrew Clements is known for his negativity.

A quick check of my shelves reveals 26 versions plus Abbado on DVD so this Dudamel will have to be pretty special to dislodge old favourites. Trouble is that that Philharmonia performance was pretty special. I've got the R3 transmission of that safely on disc so may well rest content.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
            • Nov 2010

That's a short and dismissive review by any standard. I usually look for a bit more detail in reviews before I take them seriously but then Andrew Clements is known for his negativity.

A quick check of my shelves reveals 26 versions plus Abbado on DVD so this Dudamel will have to be pretty special to dislodge old favourites. Trouble is that that Philharmonia performance was pretty special. I've got the R3 transmission of that safely on disc so may well rest content.
            I am going to stick with the Philharmonia radio performance unless any respected judges persuade me otherwise. That is a mightily impressive account.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Symph...hler+7+dudamel

Anyone?
              It's on Spotify I just started to give it a listen

Comment

• DublinJimbo
                • Nov 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                We were lucky enough to hear the Dud in Berlin with the Philharmonic in Schubert's and Beethoven's fourth symphonys and two short suites by Stravinsky. IMHO, it was a superb evening of music making. The orchestra were clearly enthused by him and must add fire to the rumours that he will take over from Sir Simon.

I think he is definitely one to watch.
                I saw that live in cinema and was similarly struck by the orchestra's response to Dudamel. He went up several notches in my esteem on the strength of these performances. It was impossible to come away with any other than a strong feeling that he has to be on the succession short list.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

After 1 listen, I would give it high marks, if not the brass ring. It is strongest in the two Nachtmusik movements, particularly in the music that is waltz based. I think some of the irony in I and III comes up a bit short. By any standards this is a very good recording, but the competition in Mahler is so fierce. It doesn't replace, Bernstein, MTT, Abaddo, or Horenstein, but it isn't that far behind, either.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Yesterday I had listened on my way home from work, with my phone attached by a cable to the car radio, on Spotify. Today I listened to it again on Spotify, this time with my Mac Air feeding my firewire dac into my two channel system.
                    Spotify transmits at 320 bps, but in my regular system this sounds fantastic, certainly better than my Horenstein/New Philharmonia account (Music and Arts, also available on the BBC Label and others). I saved this recording in my playlists.
                    It is certainly a very good performance andI am sure would have been a great treat to hear in a concert. I just think it falls a shade behind the favorites that I listed in a previous post. i would like to hear the Dude play it again in another 20 years, to see what insights the ageing process adds to his innate musicality.

Comment

• crb11
                      • Jan 2011

There's an extremely positive review of it at MusicWeb International.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by crb11 View Post
                        There's an extremely positive review of it at MusicWeb International.
                        Most interesting, crb, thanks (and Hello by the way, haven't "met" you before about the Forum )

"This is a great recording; if there is a better – or let’s say equally brilliant - Mahler Seventh around, I have yet to hear it."

Fighting talk. I wonder if he's heard Gielen/BPO live; or Abbado/Chicago &/or Lucerne... But I'm more inclined than ever to test the waters.
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

In this house Mr Clements is also known for looking in his photo as though he's breaking a toupée in for a friend.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

I have only recently caught up with Dudamel’s Mahler recordings . I wonder if DG have gone cool on them as the Ninth appears to be the last ( evidently not there is an Eighth in 2021! )

I have enjoyed the Fifth - others seem to have found the Adagietto treacly but I think it stays just on the right side of that . The first two movements are excellent and so is the finale I think . Not quite so sure about the Scherzo - sometimes it sounds like he is not quite sure where it is going and I begin to lose concentration a bit. Not something I would ever say of Walter,Barbirolli or Bernstein.

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                              I have only recently caught up with Dudamel’s Mahler recordings . I wonder if DG have gone cool on them as the Ninth appears to be the last ( evidently not there is an Eighth in 2021! )

I have enjoyed the Fifth - others seem to have found the Adagietto treacly but I think it stays just on the right side of that . The first two movements are excellent and so is the finale I think . Not quite so sure about the Scherzo - sometimes it sounds like he is not quite sure where it is going and I begin to lose concentration a bit. Not something I would ever say of Walter,Barbirolli or Bernstein.
                              DG released a new recording of the 8th with Dudamel last year, but only available for streaming or download. It was very well reviewed by Gramophone.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

Working...
                              X