• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    And I have the set (very good it is, too).
    Well maybe I should have a listen because I struggle with Brahms. I thought I'd cracked it a few years ago following a performance of the first symphony at the Barbican with Lief Segerstam, but I listened to Klemperer/WDR 1955 this morning and I think I'm back to square one!

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      I do not need yet another Brahms Symphony survey, even if it is conducted by Manze and on 3 SACDs at a very reasonable price. No, I really, really don't need such.

However ...
      My feelings entirely, in my mind as I ordered the set. My hope was that someone with such an illustrious background in early music might have something new to bring to these old warhorses. And he does, making it one of my top four choices (Walter/Columbia SO, Boult's last, Abaddo and Manze).

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Most annoying that the Previn cycle is nla except by compiling second hand copies some of which were much cheaper than others when I last looked .

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          Most annoying that the Previn cycle is nla except by compiling second hand copies some of which were much cheaper than others when I last looked .
          A good candidate for reissue as a cheap Sony box I would have thought. Given its legendary status I'd doubt if it will be out of the catalogue for long.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            My feelings entirely, in my mind as I ordered the set. My hope was that someone with such an illustrious background in early music might have something new to bring to these old warhorses. And he does, making it one of my top four choices (Walter/Columbia SO, Boult's last, Abaddo and Manze).
            I can listen to Berglund and The COE all the time and it works, for me. Otherwise it's Abbado or Karajan. Everything else misses, especially the performances of one of my all time favourite musicians - Celibidache (maybe one day it'll snap into focus, for me and I'll rave!).

Berglund's third movement of symphony #4 has never been surpassed!

Comment

Working...
            X