• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    I sort of sympathize with BeefO's point - but, having heard Manze's live performances of these magnificent (give-or-take a couple) works, I ewould think t a very cruel world that had recorded cycles by Slatkin and Davis but not by Manze. (Or Barbirolli, come to that.)
    You'll get splinters in yer bum!

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
      While Vaughan Williams is not really underrepresented, the number of cycles is not quite as infinite as those for Beethoven, Mahler etc.....).
      I like to point at the situation in the early 1970s. Then there were 2 or 3 complete RVW cycles, with 5 complete Mahler ones.
      Now it's some 50 Mahlers versus a dozen or so RVWs. Comparing RVW with Shostakovich gives an even bleaker result.

It looks like Mahler or DSCH are appealing to a wider public ever since, perhaps even as universally accepted composers.

Shostakovich is played universally without much Russian "interference" in terms of conductor or orchestral forces.
      Apart from the recent Rozhdestvensky cycle there are no RVW cycles without at least one British [or English-language] connection. It would be much more interesting to get RVW-cycles which are done without any such english(as language)-related forces, e.g. the Concertgebouw with Gatti, or the Vienna Philharmonic with Ivan Fischer.
      THAT would prove RVW becoming/being a universal composer à la Mahler & DSCH, in stead of a relatively regionally important one.

Manze's performances accentuate other (but hardly new) elements in RVW's symphonies, but he still is a British performer.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        I like to point at the situation in the early 1970s. Then there were 2 or 3 complete RVW cycles, with 5 complete Mahler ones.
        Now it's some 50 Mahlers versus a dozen or so RVWs. Comparing RVW with Shostakovich gives an even bleaker result.

It looks like Mahler or DSCH are appealing to a wider public ever since, perhaps even as universally accepted composers.

Shostakovich is played universally without much Russian "interference" in terms of conductor or orchestral forces.
        Apart from the recent Rozhdestvensky cycle there are no RVW cycles without at least one British [or English-language] connection. It would be much more interesting to get RVW-cycles which are done without any such english(as language)-related forces, e.g. the Concertgebouw with Gatti, or the Vienna Philharmonic with Ivan Fischer.
        THAT would prove RVW becoming/being a universal composer à la Mahler & DSCH, in stead of a relatively regionally important one.

Manze's performances accentuate other (but hardly new) elements in RVW's symphonies, but he still is a British performer.
        Interesting post,thanks Roehre.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Withy the talk of not many new or recent cyclew of RVW symphonies, I doubt whether Sir Andrew Davis will do another one? Rattle? He has recorded a magnificent Thomas Tallis Fantasia. Daniel Harding or Edward Gardner perhaps? Jonathan Nott?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            Withy the talk of not many new or recent cyclew of RVW symphonies, I doubt whether Sir Andrew Davis will do another one? Rattle? He has recorded a magnificent Thomas Tallis Fantasia. Daniel Harding or Edward Gardner perhaps? Jonathan Nott?
            I doubt that anyone will be dissuaded from recording an RVW cycle because of any talk on this site. As Roehre has pointed out, Mahler, Bruckner & Shostakovich have far more symphony cycles.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              I doubt that anyone will be dissuaded from recording an RVW cycle because of any talk on this site. As Roehre has pointed out, Mahler, Bruckner & Shostakovich have far more symphony cycles.
              On the contrary, if anyone is influenced because of talk on this site (which I doubt very much), it will be to encourage more of the same - RVW cycles, in this case.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                On the contrary, if anyone is influenced because of talk on this site (which I doubt very much), it will be to encourage more of the same - RVW cycles, in this case.

(Andrew Manze has done a very good Brahms cycle!)

Comment

• amateur51

I've just looked through November's release list on MDT. If Bill Tong would care to look too he'd see there's a huge number of recordings of music by composers who rarely get a look-in at concert halls.

Meanwhile, here's a splendid new release that you might be interested in Pabs

Comment

• Pabmusic
                    • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    I've just looked through November's release list on MDT. If Bill Tong would care to look too he'd see there's a huge number of recordings of music by composers who rarely get a look-in at concert halls.

Meanwhile, here's a splendid new release that you might be interested in Pabs

Oooh! Very tempting, Ams.

Comment

• amateur51

Oooh! Very tempting, Ams.
                      Fine composers, fine artists and a twofer to boot!

I've put it on my list

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                        Ex-member
                        • Sep 2013

(Andrew Manze has done a very good Brahms cycle!)
                        Oh dear, I didn't know that. Very depressing.

Feels like things aren't going to change, any time soon.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Oh dear, I didn't know that. Very depressing.

Feels like things aren't going to change, any time soon.

Comment

• Beef Oven!
                            Ex-member
                            • Sep 2013

I think you're evil!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

I think you're evil!
                              And I have the set (very good it is, too).

Comment

• Bryn
                                Banned
                                • Mar 2007

I do not need yet another Brahms Symphony survey, even if it is conducted by Manze and on 3 SACDs at a very reasonable price. No, I really, really don't need such.

However ...

Comment

Working...
                                X