• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

Dvorak's 7th - Schmidt-Isserstedt

Evening all

I have been trying to track down a recording (which seems well regarded, though its unavailability may even be bestowing 'legendary' status) of the Dvořák 7th, taped by Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt in the very late 1960s with the Hamburg RSO.

It appeared along with a handful of Slavonic Dances in 1970 on a Decca Eclipse LP. Apparently, old Hans was a little wayward metronome-wise, but it was still a fine interpretation.

I don't think it has ever made it to CD, or has it?

Anyone remember this recording (or even have it)? I'd be interested to know your thoughts/recollections.

And if anyone at Eloquence is listening..........

Karafan
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Alas, I can find no trace of the recording on CD. Very good conductor, HS-I.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      http://www.amazon.co.uk/SYMPHONY-MIN...idt-Isserstedt

Alas, I can find no trace of the recording on CD. Very good conductor, HS-I.
      His Decca box set of LvB syms, PCs and VC plus a sprinkling of overtures is an absolute gem of recording history.

Comment

• visualnickmos
        • Nov 2010

There is this, but it's not the same is it?

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

It very possibly is, Visualnickmos, thanks. Hmmmm...pricey, though.

As for his Beethoven Vienna cycle - another I am patiently waiting for Eloquence to ferret out of their gloryhole.

Edit - Oh, wait a moment this is EMI of course, so now I am wondering.......
          Last edited by Karafan; 21-10-14, 21:54. Reason: Light bulb moment re labels!
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
            Edit - Oh, wait a moment this is EMI of course, so now I am wondering.......
            True - I just realised that myself

I reckon this is a more recent recording - but why so pricy?

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Evening all

I have been trying to track down a recording (which seems well regarded, though its unavailability may even be bestowing 'legendary' status) of the Dvořák 7th, taped by Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt in the very late 1960s with the Hamburg RSO.

It appeared along with a handful of Slavonic Dances in 1970 on a Decca Eclipse LP. Apparently, old Hans was a little wayward metronome-wise, but it was still a fine interpretation.

Anyone remember this recording (or even have it)? I'd be interested to know your thoughts/recollections.

Karafan
              Remember it well ACL126 and in those days it was Dvorak 2! - the SDs it was coupled with on ECS was originally coupled with some Brahms HDs on ACL23 - I guess the two LPs would fit nicely on a CD - Eloquence? but that source seems to have slowed of late! Ace of Clubs sported CAO/Szell's Dvorak 4 (ACL46) and PCO/Jorda Dvorak 5. Then we needed to source Supraphon imports for other Dvorak Symphonies - Sejna, Smetacek....

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

As for his Beethoven Vienna cycle - another I am patiently waiting for Eloquence to ferret out of their gloryhole.
                Is there any particular reason why Decca haven't restored this set to the lists? Given its legendary status you'd have thought they'd have been on to a good thing.

Once it appears on Eloquence you can bet your last penny the set will appear again very soon in a nice box called something like 'Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt - The Decca Years'.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mathias broucek
                  • Nov 2010

There are some individual CDs available as Japanese imports at £8 or so

The whole cycle from Decca is available as an mp3 dowload here:

Or lossless here

Listen to Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt in unlimited on Qobuz and buy the albums in Hi-Res 24-Bit for an unequalled sound quality. Subscription from £10.83/month

Comment

• aeolium
                    • Nov 2010

Karafan, I don't know a CD version of this but there seems to be an affordable LP copy on ebay:

It's titled symphony no 2, but the opus number gives it away as no 7.

Comment

• frankwm

Waste of 8quid - likely found it in a local auction for a penny or two (US issue/Decca export disc: USAF airbases nearby).
                      Difficult to replay (the pressing is 1954/5) though the ACL is too scrawny/fizzy.
                      Any Philatelists may be interested as the sleeve-design (minus the spooky piccie on this version) is by the Negus/Sharland design partnership.
                      Francophiles could proffer a few Francs for the Best Forgotten Records CD dub from 'an LP'.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

I think the first recording I heard of Beethoven 6 was by this Conductor...

Comment

• Dave2002
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by frankwm View Post
                          Waste of 8quid - likely found it in a local auction for a penny or two (US issue/Decca export disc: USAF airbases nearby).
                          Difficult to replay (the pressing is 1954/5) though the ACL is too scrawny/fizzy.
                          Any Philatelists may be interested as the sleeve-design (minus the spooky piccie on this version) is by the Negus/Sharland design partnership.
                          Francophiles could proffer a few Francs for the Best Forgotten Records CD dub from 'an LP'.
                          I'm still trying to figure out what this post refers to - was there an LP or CD listing for £8?

Though I'm not wild about mp3s, the Beethoven symphony set for £8.49 from amazon doesn't seem bad value for anyone who wants these performances while there are limited CD copies available - http://bons-plans-classique.blogspot.co.uk/

Add in the concertos and a few other items and the mp3 price rises to £31.49 and the CD set seems to be nla - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...s=music&sr=1-3

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                            I'm still trying to figure out what this post refers to - was there an LP or CD listing for £8?
                            I think it was the ebay LP version of Dvorak 7 which was going for £4.99 plus £3 postage.

Comment

• Gordon
                              • Nov 2010

Evening all

Karafan
                              That set of symphony and SD's and Brahms' HDs were all recorded not at home in Hamburg but at Kingsway in March 1953 - they were on tour in the UK at the time. Very much Mono and explains reissues on Eclipse. There was a Japanese CD issue in 1999 466 307 2 and 466 308 2.

I have a CD-R dub [no processing, direct from the disc] of the symphony taken from LP LXT 2807 and the HDs from LXT 2814 and SDs from LW 3048. I think some of the items are available via download but I can't remember where - perhaps Pristine? [EDIT: No it was direct from Beulah but only SDs Op 46 Nos 1, 2 and 3 and Op 72 No 8].

I think you have my email from previous correspondence about Kingsway. I have the WAV and MP3 files if that would help a bit slow to send but do-able. Or I could burn you a CD-R.

Last edited by Gordon; 24-10-14, 17:29.

Comment

Working...
                              X