X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
    Not even at the time of the Chandos recording?
    Apparently, despite there being two recordings no public performances with orchestra.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I am rather baffled by some of the reviews of Ingrid Fliter's Chopin Preludes .For once I think Harriet Smith is on the mark in Gramophone . Fliter is a truly great Chopin player .I was transfixed throughout rather as I was on her EMI recording of the Waltzes.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

Over Christmas apart from being baffled by the presence of a Bluray disc in the box I was very taken with the LSO Live coupling of Mendelssohn's Scottish with the Schumann Piano Concerto with JLG and Pires .

A very lovely performance of the concerto and I rather like it when the finale of this concerto is not played too quickly and the Mendelssohn 3 has real snap and vim without overdoing it.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          ...apart from being baffled by the presence of a Bluray disc in the box...
          You'll need to get used to it. I understand that this is the way that LSO Live issues will be going in future.

Comment

• Stanfordian
            • Dec 2010

I am rather baffled by some of the reviews of Ingrid Fliter's Chopin Preludes .For once I think Harriet Smith is on the mark in Gramophone . Fliter is a truly great Chopin player .I was transfixed throughout rather as I was on her EMI recording of the Waltzes.
            Hiya Barbirollians,
            Compliments of the season.
            I have mixed feelings over Ingrid Fliter. I quite like her Chopin playing on CD. I have seen her in concert where in truth her playing left me cold.

Comment

• Flosshilde
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
              You'll need to get used to it. I understand that this is the way that LSO Live issues will be going in future.
              Do you mean instead of a normal CD, or as well as? If the former, will it play on a CD player?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                Or not buy their recordings. What happened to consumer choice?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  Or not buy their recordings. What happened to consumer choice?
                  There were both in the box . It just is of no use to me as I do not own a blu ray player .

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                    Banned
                    • Jul 2011

Time to wise up about downloads, perhaps?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                      Time to wise up about downloads, perhaps?
                      I am afraid I much prefer tangible music carriers .

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

So burn the downloaded files to CD-R or recordable DVD/Blu-ray. "Simples". Downloading also saves messing about with ripping if you want the music on a USB stick or hard drive. Most modern Blu-ray players come with USB ports, as do many/most new car 'radios'. That said, I too tend to prefer the pressed CD replete with booklet.

Comment

• Roehre

As I do

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Not really a new release but a recent reissue . A 2 CD set called Barbirolli at the Opera . The first CD a fine selection of overtures etc but the second CD is quite superb . Puccini duets ( and the big three Act 1 numbers from Boheme ) with Lenora Lafayette ( a soprano who I had not heard of and who appears to have had a very tough and short life ) and Richard Lewis . They are sensational . Lewis sings as well as one might imagine from his other records but Lafayette is marvellous and a true Mimi in Si Mi Chiamino Mimi.

I suppose the late recording of Madama Butterfly would lead one to expect that Barbirolli would be just as good at Boheme . Wonderful supportive conducting and an O Soave Fanciulla to match Tebaldi and Bergonzi and de los Angeles and Bjorling.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Vilde Frang's two previous concerto records I thought were outstanding especially the Nielsen . She now turns her hand to Mozart and these are enchanting performances . I had not heard of Arcangelo and Jonathan Cohen but their accompaniments are top notch and Maxim Rysanov is a wonderful violist and this really shows in K364 .

Very different say from Perlman/Zukerman and far from spruce and HIPPite lightweight stuff . Excellent

Comment

Working...
                              X