Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Don Petter

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
    Don Petter #95, I have a CD of Gould's 1959 recital at the Salzburg Festival, which he gave early in his career. Apart from the Goldbergs, which you clearly wont like, there are works by Sweelinck (Fantasia in D), Mozart (sonata K.330) and Schoenberg (Piano Suite op. 25). its a Sony Classical CD, SMK 53474. Well worth a try if you can find a copy. As someone else noted, Gould's Schoenberg is in its way as special as his Bach.

I also have a six CD set of Gould recordings, of which only one and a half are devoted to Bach. The rest include Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Weber, Brahms, Schoenberg, Webern and Krenek. Some of these are marked as previously unissued. The CDs are issued by West Hill Radio Archives, WHRA 6038. The recordings were mostly made live and the sound quality isnt marvellous, but I dont remember any serious problems with it.
    Many thanks for all this good info.

Don.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Damn you! I was about to start a thread titled "Exceptionable recordings". I won't now.
      oh please do, Bryn - I've a few fine examples a-raring to go

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... it's surprising, but I seem to have very few CDs which I wd count as exceptionally bad, by which I mean that the listening to them causes real exasperation.

For the moment I can only think of the unforgiveably dull Lester Scarlatti -

I don't know this set - I'm devoted to Scott Ross - but it get four 5-star reviews on amazon uk - and none of them from Throppers

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          I don't know this set - I'm devoted to Scott Ross - but it get four 5-star reviews on amazon uk - and none of them from Throppers
          ... I usually try to get all Scarlatti that is available, even on inappropriate instruments, and I am rarely disappointed - every player seems to 'get' something in the performing of these works, and the communicated joy is infectious and life-enhancing. Hence the severity of my disappointment with the Lester. I still have it (not on the shelves at the moment: in store while we wait for the refurbishment of the hôtel vinteuil... ) - I will give it another try...

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

... I usually try to get all Scarlatti that is available, even on inappropriate instruments, and I am rarely disappointed...
            I've been listening to Marcelle Meyer's Scarlatti recordings on piano from 1955. Exceptionally good IMO - agile, restrained, with fluid legato. What's your sense of her playing, vinteuil?

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

... I love Marcelle Meyer's playing, and her Scarlatti is particularly fine.

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
              Exceptionally good IMO - agile, restrained, with fluid legato.
              Yes - and with a lively witty precision far removed from the deadening meticulousness of an Angela Hewitt...

I think she was a big influence on Alexandre Tharaud.

Last edited by vinteuil; 18-09-14, 14:15.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

the deadening meticulousness of an Angela Hewitt...
                Now now, come on, do get off the fence...!

Comment

• amateur51

... I usually try to get all Scarlatti that is available, even on inappropriate instruments, and I am rarely disappointed - every player seems to 'get' something in the performing of these works, and the communicated joy is infectious and life-enhancing. Hence the severity of my disappointment with the Lester. I still have it (not on the shelves at the moment: in store while we wait for the refurbishment of the hôtel vinteuil... ) - I will give it another try...
                  Oh noooo vints I couldn't bear the thought of perhaps putting you through torture again, please.

What's the ETMI on vints towers?
                  Last edited by Guest; 18-09-14, 19:54.

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

What's the ETMI on vints towers?
                    ... well, as someone once said : "It will all be over by Christmas... "

We hope

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

I love Marcelle Meyer's Rameau and Couperin, too. And I agree about her influence on Tharaud...

Comment

• aeolium
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                        I love Marcelle Meyer's Rameau
                        Yes indeed and, if you don't mind downloads, still available from classicalmusicmobile.com for €1:

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

one of the threads of the year this , here at the collectors club, so I thought I would revive it. !!

anyway, I was just contemplating buying a different version of Rach Symphony 2, and I see the much appreciated Previn/LSO is available for about £2.50 used, so I might have to spend some of my parking money on it.

(Incidentally, does anybody have thoughts about the BBCMM BBC Phil/Downes recording?)
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            one of the threads of the year this , here at the collectors club, so I thought I would revive it. !!

anyway, I was just contemplating buying a different version of Rach Symphony 2, and I see the much appreciated Previn/LSO is available for about £2.50 used, so I might have to spend some of my parking money on it.

(Incidentally, does anybody have thoughts about the BBCMM BBC Phil/Downes recording?)
                            You may also wish to consider Ashkenazy on the HMV CFM Full works for £0.01 plus p&p or the Rozhdestvensky for £0.09

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

The Edward Downes version is a splendid affair, a treasurable reminder of a favourite conductor and more vividly recorded than the Previn. The recording quality has always marred my enjoyment of the latter.

Comment

• johnb
                                • Mar 2007

I totally agree with Alison about the Downes Rachmaninov Symphony No 2 and about the recording quality of the Previn (including the remastered 24/96 version), most noticeable with the strings but I suspect it is more noticeable on some audio systems than others. Such a pity as it is a glorious performance and Jack Brymer is incomparable in the slow movement.

Comment

Working...
                                X