Tchaikovsky 5th Symphony. Monteux /BSO
    Vivaldi Mandolin Concertos. Claudio Scimone
    RVW. 5th symphony/lark. Brayden Thompson /LSO

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LaurieWatt View Post
      Mozart - Horn Concerti and Quintet: Eastop/Hanover Band/Halstead [cond] - Hyperion not yet released
      Neatly done, Laurie, very neatly done!!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Neatly done, Laurie, very neatly done!!
        And conducted by one of our members.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          And conducted by one of our members.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Have you ever considered crowd-funding LaurieWatt?

Please?!
            I didn't know Laurie Watt needed to be crowd-funded.... sorry...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kea View Post
              Yes, I mostly listed recordings of works that (a) have been recorded frequently and (b) I have a strong preference for one particular recording in. Can't really argue about whether Kempe or Barbirolli is preferable in Ferneyhough's La terre est un homme after all...
              No; 's'obviously Barbirolli, innit?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Twelve messages in and no mention of Ida Haendel?

There, I've done it!
                Only 'cause I was at work!

For me...

1) Tchaikovsky violin concerto. Igor Oistrakh, violin. The Moscow Radio Symphony Orchestra conducted by David Oistrakh.
                This was the first classical Lp I ever heard properly. (As opposed to droning in the background). My father bought it in Canada and I played it into extinction. I no longer have the original Lp but managed to get an open reel tape which is, IMHO, superior to the vinyl. AFAIK, it's never been released on cd (although there is a pint in it if anyone can tell me otherwise!)

2. Tchaikovsky symphony 4. Thee SNO conducted by Alexander Gibson. The first Lp I ever bought with my own money after hearing them play it at the Usher Hall in June 1977. Yes, there are better played and conducted performances but this one still has the power to send a tingle down my spine.

3. Dvorak 'cello concerto. Alicia Weilerstein, 'cello with the Czech Philharmonic conducted by George Whitehead. For me, personally, this is the finest recording I've ever heard of this wonderful masterpiece.

4. Lekau. Violin sonata. Yehudi and Hepzibah Menuhin. The most passionate and unselfconscious recording of anything I've ever heard. I listen to it rarely but, boy, does it hit the spot when I do. It's on the defunct Biddulph label and I believe is hard to get.

5. Beethoven. Symphony 6. Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic's 1977 recording. Again, there are 'better' recordings but I remember saving up for it and the thrill of hearing a modern, up to date recording of it. (My father had two scratched and battered MfP Lps of it).

6. Ida Haendel. (At last!). The Sibelius violin concerto which I bought in 1978 after watching her, open mouthed, make this difficult work look so easy with the late Paavo Berglund and the SNO in 1978.

7. Prokofiev. Violin concerto 1. Isaac Stern with Lenny and the New York Philharmonic. (Stern recorded it twice - this is the first and, IMHO, best). Sheer savagery from a wonderful master of the violin.

8. Sibelius. Karelia suite. The Vienna philharmonic under Sargent. An Lp my uncle had that I used to ask him to play every time we visited him.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  I haven't got round to putting together a definitive list, but this might be on it - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dvorak-Symph...s=Carlos+Paita

This recording was originally on the Lodia label, which I believe was the conductor's own label. For a long while it seemed to be unavailable, but it has resurfaced - again - on the same label.

Monteux's recording of the same symphony might also be on my list.
                  Paita used to conduct the SNO in the 70's and early 80's. I must have seen him back then but have no recollection. However, I do have a cd of him conducting the 'Eroica' symphony with them. It's pretty good.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Have you ever considered crowd-funding LaurieWatt?

Please?!
                    Seriously, what sort of figures are we talking about? £100's, £1,000's?

Just curious.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Seriously, what sort of figures are we talking about? £100's, £1,000's?

Just curious.
                      Exactly pasters - isn't that how EMI funded Schnabel's Beethovens and the Hugo Wolf Society recordings aeons ago? They called it 'funding by subscription' but crowd-funding is another name.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        About a third of the recordings I have are of works that have only been recorded once - rarely performed and even more rarely broadcast, too, in many cases, so literally "exceptional". .......
                        That sounds very familiar

Of the many thousands of recordings there are only two which I think are indispensable for me:

Mahler - Lied von der Erde -Merriman/Haefliger/Concertgebouworkest-Jochum
                        Dvorak - Cello concerto - Thauer/ Czech Philharmonic/ Macal

for the rest for me it's a kind of fetishism I'm afraid:
                        what's exceptional in one person's opinion is less so or worse in another's..

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Exactly pasters - isn't that how EMI funded Schnabel's Beethovens and the Hugo Wolf Society recordings aeons ago? They called it 'funding by subscription' but crowd-funding is another name.
                          nothing new under the sun.

Orders from the trade in publishing are still known as Subscriptions , or subs.

It is working very well for certain pop/rock acts.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Don Petter

The first two which come to mind, thinking of single works, rather than any sets, are Weill’s Drei Groschen Oper, with cast including Lotte Lenya, conducted by Brückner-Rüggeberg and Offenbach’s La Belle Helene, conducted by Rene Leibowitz.

Both, as far as I’m concerned, are hors concours.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                              Mahler - Lied von der Erde -Merriman/Haefliger/Concertgebouworkest-Jochum
                              My very first classical LP, bought for me by my father in, err .... 1966 so most definitely indispensable for me too.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                                • Nov 2010

Is it really the case that at least 95% of all 'indispensable' recordings were made by artists who are no longer with us?

5. Berlioz: Les Troyens (DVD) conducted by John Eliot Gardiner

Comment

Working...
                                X