• Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Frans Bruggen recordings 11.15 Today

11.15am

Frans Bruggen recordings
    Mozart, Chopin,, and Beethoven: Complete Symphonies, Violin Concerto & Prometheus
  • aeolium
    • Nov 2010

Should be worth listening to, though I would rather have heard extracts from some of the Rameau or Haydn recordings than Brüggen in Chopin.

Comment

• Black Swan

I listened to this and was very impressed with the Beethoven Pastoral excerpts. Do any forum members know these recordings?

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

i am a huge fan of his recorder performances

there is a large set of Telemann Sonatas for Recorder by Bruggen/Leonhadt/Bylsmer fro £3-69p at present on Amazon
        According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Black Swan View Post
          I listened to this and was very impressed with the Beethoven Pastoral excerpts. Do any forum members know these recordings?
          I didn't know them and listened with interest... I do though have a problem when the 'thanksgiving' theme arrives after the storm, and on those 'original instruments' sounded like someone had pulled a wire tight on a nail and was playing it with a saw. I don't want buckets of vibrato, I don't want the Berliner Philharmoniker string section... I just want something closer to the Tonhalle performance I attended at the RAH, where the 'pure tone' and beauty of that moment made the heart leap and the eyes moisten with gratitude. My heart sank, hearing it this morning
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

Cali,

Maybe my enthusiasm was more because I don't regularly lessen to the Beethoven Symphonies or it could be I was driving. I might have missed the nuances.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Cali,

Maybe my enthusiasm was more because I don't regularly lessen to the Beethoven Symphonies or it could be I was driving. I might have missed the nuances.
              It would definitely work on the road!
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Black Swan

Caliban,
                After reading your comments, I do agree, now sitting at home listening to Beethoven 6 Abbado and the VPO. Which is IMHO an excellent recording of this work.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

Just bought the Mozart 39-41 on Glossa, one of Bruggen's last releases....reviewed very enthusiastically by Simeone in this month's IRR (and Nalen Anthoni in August G.), they are indeed special, very fresh, creatively free interpretations with Bruggen's hallmark rhythmic buoyancy and deceptively gentle approach. So much expressive and dynamic subtlety! Lovely embellishments from the solo clarinet in the trio of 39 (why don't more players/conductors do this? We NEED more...) Startling final twist in a remarkable 39 - a rapid diminuendo to almost nothing in the final phrase...! But the finale itself is extraordinarily free and keeps you guessing to the end...

No.41 still to come ...

His Rameau Suites are streets ahead, his Haydn is among the very best, especially the Sturm und Drang and the Paris (the Londons less consistently well-recorded), and his first Beethoven cycle (originally Philips 1994, recently rereleased) is for me a true classic without a weak link. Have only heard excerpts from the second one but it did review well....

I wouldn't call many conductors a "genius", but for Bruggen....
                  Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 06-09-14, 21:59.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                    • Nov 2010

Oh yes, very interesting performances of works that I THINK I know! The 'Pastoral' performance is super on both sets.

Comment

Working...
                    X