• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

"Compare Edition" - mini downloadable BALs

Anyone come across this series before? I hadn't...

Multiple performances of the same thing to allow comparison: this is one sample page, but there are dozens of others, click the 'Next Page' / 'Previous Page' buttons to see:

I came across them this morning having listened again to the BAL on Ravel's 'La Valse' and gone hunting for downloadable versions of the Monteux and Martinon performances.

The latter alas isn't on the 'La Valse' Compare Edition, but the Monteux is along with 5 others: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravel-Monteu...+edition+ravel

I'm tempted (even though I already have the Ansermet, as well as Abbado, Dutoit, Termikanov live, and Rattle)
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• gradus
    • Nov 2010

I've seen them advertised but use Spotify for this purpose.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      Anyone come across this series before? I hadn't...

Multiple performances of the same thing to allow comparison: this is one sample page, but there are dozens of others, click the 'Next Page' / 'Previous Page' buttons to see:

I came across them this morning having listened again to the BAL on Ravel's 'La Valse' and gone hunting for downloadable versions of the Monteux and Martinon performances.

The latter alas isn't on the 'La Valse' Compare Edition, but the Monteux is along with 5 others: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ravel-Monteu...+edition+ravel

I'm tempted (even though I already have the Ansermet, as well as Abbado, Dutoit, Termikanov live, and Rattle)
      There look to be some interesting selections - mix of labels also I didn't know there was a recording of the Polovtsian Dances by Reiner - the March yes but not the Dances!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        There look to be some interesting selections - mix of labels also I didn't know there was a recording of the Polovtsian Dances by Reiner - the March yes but not the Dances!
        I thought so too - some intriguing performances.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• PJPJ
          • Nov 2010

I'm sure qobuz had these lossless but I can't find them now. I think they're LP transfers.

Comment

• Stunsworth
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
            I'm sure qobuz had these lossless but I can't find them now. I think they're LP transfers.
            Qobuz has a lot of lossless transcription from the French national library. These are LP transfers, of I assume recordings that are out of copyright...

Steve

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
              Qobuz has a lot of lossless transcription from the French national library. These are LP transfers, of I assume recordings that are out of copyright...

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/label/bnf...ssique#results
              Many of those are also on Spotify, though searching for "Compare" is not so useful, as it is a real word (verb) in other languages besides English. 'Compare"+ "Composer Name" e.g "Compare Haydn" is more useful, and should show versions of Haydn's Trumpet Concerto. May also work for "Performer Name" e.g ."Compare Haskil" - depending on the performer.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                • Nov 2010

Qobuz is aware of 'Compare' as a record label - it comes up in a search - but there aren't any recordings listed.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X