X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterthekeys
    • Aug 2014

Summer CD review

I have to say that the "Summer CD Review" programmes since the Proms started have been amongst the highlights of my R3 listening this year - the items on the lesser-known composers featured at the Proms have been fascinating, and the one today about Jon Leifs was a revelation.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

The Leifs feature was indeed very good. It seemed to cover as many of the various aspects of his life and work as the 5 Composer of the Week episodes devoted to him.

However, I found my hackles rising when the fermata added over the final chord of Ives 2nd Symphony by Leonard (I know better then Ives) Bernsein, was not only emulated but praised. Ives wrote quaver (8th note) with no fermata. The Ives Society's Critical Edition rightly removed Bernstein's 'improvement'. Ives did not attend Bernstein's premier of the work's revision but is said to have disapproved and spat in response to listening to the radio broadcast. At that time, not only did Bernstein add the fermata, he also had the temerity to cut some bars. That final 11 note chord was, according to Henry Cowell, to pay tribute to the barn dance tradition where "the players played any old note, good and loud, for the last chord" of the last dance. Laying it on with a trowel, as Bernstein and his followers have, ruins the effect.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

The Leifs feature was indeed very good. It seemed to cover as many of the various aspects of his life and work as the 5 Composer of the Week episodes devoted to him.
      Hear hear! I was just about to start a thread on Jon Leifs until I realised you had drawn our attention to this IMV excellent part of the programme. These days Iceland has an amazing musical scene, more amazing considering its small population. I had no idea that it produced a composer of Leifs' stature so early on. I must admit I was barely aware of Leifs' existence let alone his music. Anyone who missed this part of CD Review will be rewarded by a visit to i-player.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Thank you for raising this up, PTKs, I did enjoy yesterdays programme immensely, also the feature on Jon Leifs.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I notice even the otherwise unimpeachable Andrew McGregor is reading out those irritating tweets now.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            I notice even the otherwise unimpeachable Andrew McGregor is reading out those irritating tweets now.
            Unimpeachable? Do you hear the ends of his sentences?

Comment

• Dave2002
              • Dec 2010

I wish I'd read this earlier this morning, as I assume the iPlayer Leifs programme has now gone. Is there a podcast version?

As it happened I listened to several pieces by Leifs this morning - CDs via Spotify. Very odd style - intriguing. I can revisit the Proms version of Geysir, though that wasn't what I listened to earlier.

Comment

• Veronika

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                I wish I'd read this earlier this morning, as I assume the iPlayer Leifs programme has now gone. Is there a podcast version?
                There is a podcast version, but with much shorter music extracts: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/bal

Comment

Working...
                X