X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

L'Oiseau Lyre Baroque Box

It was good to hear Andrew and Caroline Gill chatting about the new 50 CD box, but I noticed that whilst talking about the virtues of the Handel Op.6 concerti, the AAM was fulsomely praised, whereas in fact on those original discs, Hogwood was guest-directing the Boston-based Handel and Haydn Society.

As I already own all but one of the recordings on CD, I shan't be investing in the set...but it irks me that the Carissimi Cantatas disc has never been released up to now on CD...I can't really justify buying 50 CDs just for one CD!
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    It was good to hear Andrew and Caroline Gill chatting about the new 50 CD box, but I noticed that whilst talking about the virtues of the Handel Op.6 concerti, the AAM was fulsomely praised, whereas in fact on those original discs, Hogwood was guest-directing the Boston-based Handel and Haydn Society.

As I already own all but one of the recordings on CD, I shan't be investing in the set...but it irks me that the Carissimi Cantatas disc has never been released up to now on CD...I can't really justify buying 50 CDs just for one CD!
    I have had similar situations with some of the big multi disk releases. I actually did by the EMI Mahler box just to obtain the Horenstein 4, but at least it had several other worthwhile recordings that were not in my collection. I wanted the Haitink Phillips box for it's Schubert C Major Symphony but as I already owned about 3/4 of the rest of the contents I can't justify the purchase.

Comment

Working...
    X