X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    JLW, I don't know whether you've ever been a music critic. If so, great. If not, maybe you should have been. Your contributions are always illuminating.
    Hear hear

and

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
    Most in love with the chamber music (especially Op 18, Op 80 & Op 12/13) & too, too familiar with symphonies 3&4, I held off from Hymn of Praise for ages - aural & emotional lack of sympathy with the large, 19thC choral tradition to blame. But when I finally DID get to know it I fell in love - and it was the thrilling entry of the chorus at the start of Part 2 Alles was odem hat that did it - it's a great moment!
    Later there are gorgeous arias & duets to dwell upon, the melodically-seductive Ich harrete dem hern loveliest of all. Oddly enough, it's the three orchestral movements that I've found hardest to love - they always seem (necessarily) preludial.

Perhaps Mendelssohn's reach exceeded his grasp a little here but there are too many beauties to ignore. The two recordings I have, both highly recommended, are Litton live on BIS (a touch too spacious, perhaps, in the resonant Grieg Hall) and Fey's very dashing Heidelberg-HIPS number on Hanssler, which I've become most attached to.
    I'm pleased now that this is such a fresh piece for me, as are Symphonies 1 and 5 - VERY distinctively played on a recent MDG set with Zehetmair and the (deep breath, say it with me, etc)) Musikkollegium Winterthur....

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Don't bother with the last movement?
      I'm with Ferney here.
      FM clearly belongs in the pantheon of Great Composers, but for a man who created so many great masterpieces, he had his share of ambitous failures, and Lobegasng would be Exhibit A.

Comment

• DublinJimbo
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Radio64 View Post
        I'm quite tempted by this newer recording.
        It's a hugely impressive performance and recording. It certainly made me sit up and take notice of a symphony which hadn't attracted me previously.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          I'm with Ferney here.
          FM clearly belongs in the pantheon of Great Composers, but for a man who created so many great masterpieces, he had his share of ambitous failures, and Lobegasng would be Exhibit A.
          Great composer. And organiser (unlike his shambolic contemporary, Robert Schumann). I thought I disliked Lobgesang but played it again in response to this thread (mentioned above) and do not regret the experience, even though I probably won't return to it again that soon.

We have visited the restored Mendelssohn-Haus in Leipzig. Some kind of restitution for him in the city where his statue at the Gewandhaus was removed by the Nazis, never to be seen again.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Great composer. And organiser (unlike his shambolic contemporary, Robert Schumann). I thought I disliked Lobgesang but played it again in response to this thread (mentioned above) and do not regret the experience, even though I probably won't return to it again that soon.

We have visited the restored Mendelssohn-Haus in Leipzig. Some kind of restitution for him in the city where his statue at the Gewandhaus was removed by the Nazis, never to be seen again.

FM has been treated shamefully because of the Jewish Origins of his family, although his reputation survived this as his greatness is undeniable. The Violin Concerto, the Italian and Scottish Symphonies and the Midsummer Dream music are indisputable masterpieces.
            His role in promoting JS Bach and creating the modern Symphony Orchestra also elevate his status.
            There is an uneven quality to some of his works. It would have been fascinating to see how he would have developed if he had lived another 15 years or so.

Comment

• Sir Velo
              • Oct 2012

FM has been treated shamefully because of the Jewish Origins of his family, although his reputation survived this as his greatness is undeniable. The Violin Concerto, the Italian and Scottish Symphonies and the Midsummer Dream music are indisputable masterpieces.
              I'd add the Octet, the Op80 quartet and Fingal's Cave to that list.

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post

And what is wrong with the Piano Trios?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

And what is wrong with the Piano Trios?
                    Just listening to Mendelssohn Trios with Oistrakh on Brilliant Classics Trio box. Slightly grating sound but thrilling performances.

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

The two string quintets, from opposite ends of his composing life, are also lovely pieces, the second imv a masterpiece.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

I have a guilty pleasure for the 1st piano concerto. Lovely bit of proto Lisztean excess.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                          Just listening to Mendelssohn Trios with Oistrakh on Brilliant Classics Trio box. Slightly grating sound but thrilling performances.
                          I think I might have that in a big EMI box devoted to Oistrakh. I usually listen to the Suk Trio Supraphon recordings.

Comment

Working...
                          X