• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayne lee wilson
    Banned
    • Jul 2011

Rozhdestvensky's live Vaughan Williams Cycle

Vaughan Williams Symphonies 1-9. USSR State Symphony Orchestra/Rozhdestvensky. Melodiya CDs (2014), Rec. live in Leningrad 1988-89.

I hesitated long over this set (I overdosed on these symphonies in the 1970s from record library LPs of Boult, Previn etc.), RC's Gramophone review finally forcing me to find out for myself... and a very absorbing adventure it's been, with fresh and sometimes startlingly different readings.
    I went straight for Nos 3-6 and 8, and they've kept me company since the weekend, despite several enticing new releases of such as Norgard and Stenhammar on the playlist .
    3 and 5 have a wonderfully sensuous, Ravellian textural delicacy; the tempi are moderate to slower-than-average but with a very natural and fluid rubato and a striking rhythmical buoyancy. Rozh is very alive to those little string and solo wind figures that are such a part of the pleasure of listening to VW - they sparkle and flash and grab your attention - and the mid-hall, spacious perspective adds to the vividly atmospheric and poetic feel of the performances. Both the G. and the Musicweb reviews describe the sound as "never less than acceptable" etc., but I have to say I found it more inviting than that; slightly distanced, but very detailed, and warm and full into climaxes. Good dynamic range too. The lovely strings provide a cushion for some brilliant brasses. Too many striking details to mention, but when you reach No. 6 - a shattering, stupendous performance - you really feel it as the culmination, the peak of VW's output. Rozh shapes the counterpoint and cross-rhythms with a searing angularity here, placing VW at the heart of the 20th-Century Symphonic, rather than an "English" Tradition. The Epilogue - all 14'34 of it - probably isn't quite as quiet as VW intended, but works wonderfully well in context.
    (The early entry of the doublebasses just after the start is perhaps one striking detail too many, but at least it's quiet and goes with the flow...)

The 1st movement of No.4 is much slower than usual; for me, with the strings' great melody more intensely yearning at this speed, this lends it a uniquely visionary quality, quite different from the usual aggressive energy that tends to dominate. But it will certainly divide opinion! As a reading, No.4 is very different from the norm, perhaps not quite "settled", but compelling to listen to. The fragile flute solo in the andante, and those quiet string episodes in the outer movements, really tell upon the ear and the heart.
    The 8th is played with great warmth and virtuosic brilliance; it seemed to me far less enigmatic than usual.

If you'd asked me at the start of the year if I was likely to buy any VW in 2014, I would have said - scale of 1 to 10, probably 1... but now, I can't wait to explore further, I'm very glad it's here! Surely one of the most unexpected treats of a very rich year for new releases.
    Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 24-07-14, 09:21.
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

jayne I'd spotted this release in a list in Gramophone and it triggered my interest, which I hadn't got round to pursuing. So I am particularly grateful for this new thread!

Put me down as 'officially tempted' !
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Roehre

at least there exists a complete non-British-associated cycle **.
      So perhaps there is hope for a wider proliferation of these splendid works
      How's the Sea Symphony (I mean the pronunciation)?

** that is: before I realised Roshdestvensky's link with the BBCSO
      Last edited by Guest; 24-07-14, 09:33.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
        Vaughan Williams Symphonies 1-9. USSR State Symphony Orchestra/Rozhdestvensky. Melodiya CDs (2014), Rec. live in Leningrad 1988-89.

I hesitated long over this set (I overdosed on these symphonies in the 1970s from record library LPs of Boult, Previn etc.), RC's Gramophone review finally forcing me to find out for myself... and a very absorbing adventure it's been, with fresh and sometimes startlingly different readings.
        I went straight for Nos 3-6 and 8, and they've kept me company since the weekend, despite several enticing new releases of such as Norgard and Stenhammar on the playlist .
        3 and 5 have a wonderfully sensuous, Ravellian textural delicacy; the tempi are moderate to slower-than-average but with a very natural and fluid rubato and a striking rhythmical buoyancy. Rozh is very alive to those little string and solo wind figures that are such a part of the pleasure of listening to VW - they sparkle and flash and grab your attention - and the mid-hall, spacious perspective adds to the vividly atmospheric and poetic feel of the performances. Both the G. and the Musicweb reviews describe the sound as "never less than acceptable" etc., but I have to say I found it more inviting than that; slightly distanced, but very detailed, and warm and full into climaxes. Good dynamic range too. The lovely strings provide a cushion for some brilliant brasses. Too many striking details to mention, but when you reach No. 6 - a shattering, stupendous performance - you really feel it as the culmination, the peak of VW's output. Rozh shapes the counterpoint and cross-rhythms with a searing angularity here, placing VW at the heart of the 20th-Century Symphonic, rather than an "English" Tradition. The Epilogue - all 14'34 of it - probably isn't quite as quiet as VW intended, but works wonderfully well in context.
        (The early entry of the doublebasses just after the start is perhaps one striking detail too many, but at least it's quiet and goes with the flow...)

The 1st movement of No.4 is much slower than usual; for me, with the strings' great melody more intensely yearning at this speed, this lends it a uniquely visionary quality, quite different from the usual aggressive energy that tends to dominate. But it will certainly divide opinion! As a reading, No.4 is very different from the norm, perhaps not quite "settled", but compelling to listen to. The fragile flute solo in the andante, and those quiet string episodes in the outer movements, really tell upon the ear and the heart.
        The 8th is played with great warmth and virtuosic brilliance; it seemed to me far less enigmatic than usual.

If you'd asked me at the start of the year if I was likely to buy any VW in 2014, I would have said - scale of 1 to 10, probably 1... but now, I can't wait to explore further, I'm very glad it's here! Surely one of the most unexpected treats of a very rich year for new releases.
        Many thanks for this review, JLW - the set was already on my list but I'll slide it up a bit

Somewhere on the thread about Greatest 20th Century Conductor I mentioned Noddy and I think this set makes the case for his inclusion. It also makes me realise what an inspired choice (Glock's?) he was for the all-too-short conductorship of the BBCSO. He opened my ears to Shostakovich in performance but he obviously took RVW away with him

Comment

• HighlandDougie
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post

How's the Sea Symphony (I mean the pronunciation)?
          English with a Russian inflection, unsurprisingly more noticeable from the soloists than the chorus. A Russian baritone singing, "On the Beach at Night", works rather well. There was a discussion of this set on the 'New Releases' thread at the end of May, just before it was released (see from msg 899 onwards). I (mostly) concur with Jayne's assessment of it, not least in relation to the sound which is definitely better than, "never less than acceptable". I'm not so sure about the Pastoral but that is possibly because I have Previn's recording engrained in my brain. Otherwise, though, well worth seeking out.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
            English with a Russian inflection, unsurprisingly more noticeable from the soloists than the chorus. A Russian baritone singing, "On the Beach at Night", works rather well. There was a discussion of this set on the 'New Releases' thread at the end of May, just before it was released (see from msg 899 onwards). I (mostly) concur with Jayne's assessment of it, not least in relation to the sound which is definitely better than, "never less than acceptable". I'm not so sure about the Pastoral but that is possibly because I have Previn's recording engrained in my brain. Otherwise, though, well worth seeking out.
            It sounds interestingly different - Like the thought of the Ravellian edge - I wouldn't think the Russian inflection in the soloist in the Pastoral is too great The price looks a little more favourable now also - definitely on the list and not too far down it.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              It sounds interestingly different - Like the thought of the Ravellian edge - I wouldn't think the Russian inflection in the soloist in the Pastoral is too great The price looks a little more favourable now also - definitely on the list and not too far down it.
              I'll certainly look out for it. BBC Classics years ago issued a performance of Sancta Civitas with Rozhdestvensky conducting BBC forces at the Festival Hall, it's a superb performance, probably deleted now.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                It also makes me realise what an inspired choice (Glock's?) he was for the all-too-short conductorship of the BBCSO.

I think he was Ponsonby's choice.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Well.I certainly don't need more Vaughan Williams cds,but tempted by this set now.

Gennady Rozhdestvensky has been performing a lot British music in Moscow and St Petersburg over the last 3 years as part of the Albion In The Mist festival.
                  Not only the complete symphonies of RVW, Elgar and Walton, but other works by Bax, Britten, Moeran and Finzi.
                  Stuff like The Critic, Stanford's opera and Cyril Scott's Violin Concerto,what a hero !!!
                  Last edited by EdgeleyRob; 24-07-14, 23:06.

Comment

• vibratoforever
                    • Jul 2012

Rozhdestvensky's VW set is available for download at a very reasonable price and I am glad I decided to invest.

I have only listened to 3,5,8, and 9 so far, but as usual with this conductor his performances are very individual and they add to the experience the established versions provide. No. 9 is a tremendous performance and I will be listening to this regularly. I share the high opinions of the reviewers in Gramophone and Musicweb and, as has been mentioned in this thread, the sound is very acceptable.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                      • Nov 2010

Gennady Rozhdestvensky,British music champion,who'da thought.

Re Cyril Scott's Violin Concerto,does anyone know if it's been performed in the UK since it's last outing here in 1929 ?
                      When was the last time a Stanford opera was performed here ?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post

Re Cyril Scott's Violin Concerto,does anyone know if it's been performed in the UK since it's last outing here in 1929 ?
                        When was the last time a Stanford opera was performed here ?
                        Scott's VC was on R3 March 15th 2003.
                        Haven't the slightest re the Stanford.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                          Whilst he was with the BBCSO, he made several references to his love of this Music. (In a Radio Times article, he listed his three favourite composers of the 20th Century as "Stravinsky, Shostakovich and Britten".)
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                            • Mar 2007

This came up a while ago on the 'New Releases' thread; the whole set can be previewed (in full) on Spotify here.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Thanks for those post guys.
                              I've already started spotifying the RVW,No 6 is very impressive.

Comment

Working...
                              X