X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mathias broucek
    • Nov 2010

Levine's Mahler

I see Levine's RCA Mahler recordings are being released in a box. However he never finished the cycle - oddly there's a complete 10th but no 2nd or 8th.

Does anyone know the story behind this? I'm sure the plan was to record them all.
  • Mahlerei

Yes, it's a pity he never finished it. Of those he did record I much admire the First and Third.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by mathias broucek View Post
      I see Levine's RCA Mahler recordings are being released in a box. However he never finished the cycle - oddly there's a complete 10th but no 2nd or 8th.

Does anyone know the story behind this? I'm sure the plan was to record them all.
      I guess the reason was probably a switch from RCA to DG, who probably had other priorities for the conductor and plenty of other Mahler conductors on the roster not least Abbado who seems to have a 'Forth Bridge' approach, Boulez and existing recordings by Sinopoli and Kubelik. Mahler 8 cannot be the most economical symphony to record! There is a Levine IPO recording on Helicon - who?

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Well his 10th is a strange creature. At first he only recorded the Adagio, then some years later decided to record the other four movements of a Cooke performing version. IIRC the Adagio was an analogue recording, and the others were early digital. Why he did not go on to record the 2nd or 8th I have no idea.

Just checked. The Adagio was recorded (analogue) on April 3 1978, and the rest was recorded (early digital) in January 1980.
        Last edited by Bryn; 24-03-11, 18:55. Reason: Update.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

He did put in a really rather good Mahler 8 with the Philharmonia some years back.
          It's somewhere in the Alison archives.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            He did put in a really rather good Mahler 8 with the Philharmonia some years back.
            Seems to me you are duty bound to set it free.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Yes, I remember that one. It's in the Petrushka Archives as well somewhere. I also recall a terrific Mahler 2 with the VPO sometime in the 1970's, possibly at Salzburg in 1975/6 which was broadcast on R3.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• mathias broucek
                • Nov 2010

With the supply of BBC Legends having dried-up perhaps "The Alison Archives" could become the new label for the live performance congnoscenti!

Comment

• barber olly

With the supply of BBC Legends having dried-up perhaps "The Alison Archives" could become the new label for the live performance congnoscenti!
                  Perhaps we could have 'Alison Archives' label with associate labels 'Petrouchka Productions' and 'Bryn's Basement' and my own 2 for 1 offer 'Barber Olly Gold One for Free'!

Comment

• amateur51

Has BBC Legends really dried up? We've only just had the tremedous Deryck Cooke/Mahler 10 double album

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      Has BBC Legends really dried up? We've only just had the tremedous Deryck Cooke/Mahler 10 double album
                      Is this not on Testament, not BBC Legends? But BBC Legends has for a long time disappointed with its narrow range of the BBC Archives reissued. I fear that many recordings from the 70s and 80s have been wiped.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                        Is this not on Testament, not BBC Legends? But BBC Legends has for a long time disappointed with its narrow range of the BBC Archives reissued. I fear that many recordings from the 70s and 80s have been wiped.
                        You're right, of course barber!

Comment

• mathias broucek
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by barber olly View Post
                          II fear that many recordings from the 70s and 80s have been wiped.
                          IIRC they were explicity asking for peoples' off-air recordings.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Levine's Mahler 1 with the LSO and 4 with the Chicago SO are very fine recordings which RCA offered at half price (£1.49) on their first LP release, hence this impecunious student snapped them up at the time. What struck me in particular was the beauty of the Chicago strings in the slow movement of 4 - those grooves on my copy are very well worn. After this experience, I was drawn to hear the CSO at the Proms (Solti) and their string sound was indeed intoxicating compared to those of contemporary London orchestras.

Comment

• barber olly

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                              Levine's Mahler 1 with the LSO and 4 with the Chicago SO are very fine recordings which RCA offered at half price (£1.49) on their first LP release, hence this impecunious student snapped them up at the time. What struck me in particular was the beauty of the Chicago strings in the slow movement of 4 - those grooves on my copy are very well worn. After this experience, I was drawn to hear the CSO at the Proms (Solti) and their string sound was indeed intoxicating compared to those of contemporary London orchestras.
                              They were indeed fine recordings at a bargain price - this has encouraged me to go for the 1/3-7/9/10 which at today's price are super-bargains. Having only heard 1/3 and 4 I look forward to a real treat.

Comment

Working...
                              X