X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

A need to indulge

Do you have recordings that you sometimes feel the need to indulge in ? It is not necessarily your favourite performance . In fact listening dispassionately there may be things about it of which you disapprove but sometimes you just feel like indulging in its excess ?

I wondered about this as I was listening this morning to Jessye Norman's Four Last Songs recording - I know she billows about on great waves of sound and that much more often I will turn to Jurinac or della Casa in this music but today it seemed absolutely right .

Any recordings do this for you ?
  • Pabmusic
    • May 2011

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Do you have recordings that you sometimes feel the need to indulge in ? It is not necessarily your favourite performance . In fact listening dispassionately there may be things about it of which you disapprove but sometimes you just feel like indulging in its excess ?

I wondered about this as I was listening this morning to Jessye Norman's Four Last Songs recording - I know she billows about on great waves of sound and that much more often I will turn to Jurinac or della Casa in this music but today it seemed absolutely right .

Sorry, Barbs, but that's rather how I regard Barbirolli in Elgar. I simply couldn't do without it, but not in large doses. I love the last Enigma (especially what he does with the divided violins in W.N.) but...

Comment

• richardfinegold
      • Sep 2012

Most Horowitz recordings would fit your description.
      There was a Hungarian Pianist whose name I will undoubtedly misspell-Nyerichadazi-who made Horowitz sound HIPP in comparison and whose Liszt is a guilty pleasure.
      Igor Kipnis recordings. Not PC these days, but great fun.

Comment

• ostuni
        • Nov 2010

The Bernstein Rosenkavalier.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

The Bruno Walter stereo set of the last Mozart Symphonies, wonderfully old fashioned and indulgent, but I love the affection for the Music.

Comment

• Barbirollians
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            Sorry, Barbs, but that's rather how I regard Barbirolli in Elgar. I simply couldn't do without it, but not in large doses. I love the last Enigma (especially what he does with the divided violins in W.N.) but...
            Name your seconds Pabs !!!

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
              The Bruno Walter stereo set of the last Mozart Symphonies, wonderfully old fashioned and indulgent, but I love the affection for the Music.
              Sounds good - in which case I recommend Oistrakh and the BPO in the Mozart Violin Concertos

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

You got it in one, Barbie!

We may face in opposite directions over Gluck and Ferrier, but we are ad idem about that Jessye/Masur Four Last Songs!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Oistrakh and the BPO in the Mozart Violin Concertos
                  In this category one might put the Oistrakh père et fils Bach Double Concerto... except I just think it's great, irrespective of indulgence or fashion!
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kea
                    • Dec 2013

I feel this way about Rachmaninov's piano concertos in general... also Liszt etudes.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Sounds good - in which case I recommend Oistrakh and the BPO in the Mozart Violin Concertos
                      I can still see myself standing in Shandwick Place in Edinburgh on a cold November Friday afternoon in 1978 waiting for a number 31 bus with those clutched under my sweaty 15 year old arm pit having bought them at Rae Mackintosh...

Happy days.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        I can still see myself standing in Shandwick Place in Edinburgh on a cold November Friday afternoon in 1978 waiting for a number 31 bus with those clutched under my sweaty 15 year old arm pit having bought them at Rae Mackintosh...

Happy days.
                        On this glorious sunny evening I am tempted to play some of them right now .

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Ahronovitch's Tchaik Manfred - totally wayward and pulled about but thrilling because of that. Stoki's arrangement of the Great Gate of Kiev is another.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            Ahronovitch's Tchaik Manfred - totally wayward and pulled about but thrilling because of that. Stoki's arrangement of the Great Gate of Kiev is another.
                            Yes! What about Stokey's Symphonic Synthesis on Boris Godunov? The one he did for Decca Phase 4 is the one to have, full frontal stereo!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I cannot do without Abbado.I need to hear at least one recording of his, during the week!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                              X