Walton: Symphony No. 1 / Violin Concerto (Edward Gardner / Chandos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Walton: Symphony No. 1 / Violin Concerto (Edward Gardner / Chandos)

This release completely passed me by, to my surprise as after the revelation of his recent Mendelssohn recording, I'm becoming a bit of a fan of EG. I read the glowing review in the BBC MM (which unusually I bought due to the interesting Gurney/Bridge cover disc) and felt like acquiring it instantly... Recording of the Month, http://www.classical-music.com/monthly-choice/walton

But then the Guardian damns with faint praise http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...r-bbcso-little

Prestoclassical is positive http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/new...ate=2014-04-21, MusicWeb calls it "a recording worthy to stand with the very best"

Anyone heard it?

This piece has been crying out for the ideal performance - none has ever quite done it as the piece goes in my head

I know, I know, I should just buy it and make my own mind up. And I probably shall.

Anyone snapped it up?

I guess it will find its way on to CD Review at some point...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

• HighlandDougie
    • Nov 2010

See "New Releases" Msg No. 862 et seq. where I was firmly put in my place. OK, it's not the LSO/Previn version but it's not so bad - and it sounds very good, at least as a 24bit download.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      See "New Releases" Msg No. 862 et seq. where I was firmly put in my place. OK, it's not the LSO/Previn version but it's not so bad - and it sounds very good, at least as a 24bit download.
      Ah missed that! Let me see... Cheers HD

EDIT:

Ah yes... the real discussion about the music starts here, I think

(after some chari-vari from the fashion/album art commentators ... valid points all, I hasten to add, hoping the skirmish doesn't spill over here )

Better try and hear the Brabbins too. I suppose this is why the streaming option is good, to try before you buy.
      Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 17-05-14, 22:20.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

With each new recording of the Walton 1 that comes along I live in hope that it is one that equals or even eclipses the celebrated Previn version but have mostly been disappointed. It is nothing less than astonishing that a single recording has held sway for nearly 50 years and still manages to beat all who try.

For my money, Ashkenazy, Bryden Thomson and Slatkin come closest. Very interested in hearing the Gardner.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          With each new recording of the Walton 1 that comes along I live in hope that it is one that equals or even eclipses the celebrated Previn version but have mostly been disappointed. It is nothing less than astonishing that a single recording has held sway for nearly 50 years and still manages to beat all who try.

For my money, Ashkenazy, Bryden Thomson and Slatkin come closest. Very interested in hearing the Gardner.
          How come you missed the broadcasts of both recordings on this disc on Afternoon on 3? They were flagged up as such on the schedule pages and remained available in 320kbps aac 'HD Sound' for 7 days each.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

Have you heard Mackerras on EMI Eminence? It is probably deleted but worth looking for. The coupling of the 2nd Symphony is impressive as well.

Comment

• amateur51

I really don't understand this apparent need to 'pip' Previn. Let's treat each new recording on its own merits.

I agree with Cali that Gardner is an impressive young conductor but then so is Brabbins (perhaps no longer young )

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

BBC R3 broadcasted this recording a couple of weeks ago in their 'Afternooon on 3', slot, when they had a British music week. Played both works, and they were quite stunni8ngly recorded, performed etc. Words are superlative to say the least. I hope to have this next month, for a certain occaision
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I really don't understand this apparent need to 'pip' Previn. Let's treat each new recording on its own merits.)
                  True enough, but the Previn has remained, by common consent, in a class of its own now for nearly 50 years, which must surely be a unique feat in the classical recording world, and the sound isn't of the finest. Mind, it could be that the sound given to the Previn actually suits the music better than some modern day, digital plush number. Certainly the whiplash fury of the first movement benefits from the slightly limited sonics. Less so the second movement - con malizia - where the timps need to leave less to the imagination.

This symphony would have suited Sir Georg Solti down to the ground and it's a thousand pities that he never performed it. A remembered live RVW 4 broadcast (February 1978) and his Belshazzar recording show why it could have been pretty special.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Oliver

Previn's later recording, with the RPO (Telarc, '87,) was tame. One of the reasons that his LSO performance is so fine is that the orchestra of that period was in great form, particularly the brass section.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

The new Gardner version is Recording of the Month in the June edition of BBC MM, reviewed by Malcolm Hayes, saying that it may even surpass Previn in the BBC SO's response, maintaining formidable dramatic voltage while keeping the music's eruptive energy on a tight rein.
                      Tasmin Little's performance of the Violin Concerto ( her second recording) also gets high praise, as does the Chandos recording, so in spite of all my duplicates I'll have to invest !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                        The new Gardner version is Recording of the Month in the June edition of BBC MM, reviewed by Malcolm Hayes, saying that it may even surpass Previn in the BBC SO's response, maintaining formidable dramatic voltage while keeping the music's eruptive energy on a tight rein.
                        Tasmin Little's performance of the Violin Concerto ( her second recording) also gets high praise, as does the Chandos recording, so in spite of all my duplicates I'll have to invest !

Ferret I adverted to that review and some contrary ones in my first post. It was the diversity of critical opinion in fact which triggered this thread... Caveat emptor !

However thanks to a kind friend about these parts, I've now managed to hear the first movement in its entirety. I think it sounds great - fleet and taut, perhaps lacking the last ounce of 'epic' ... and that initial oboe theme in the first movement opening is NEVER accentuated jazzily enough (compared with how I hear it!)

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Ferret I adverted to that review and some contrary ones in my first post. It was the diversity of critical opinion in fact which triggered this thread... Caveat emptor !

However thanks to a kind friend about these parts, I've now managed to hear the first movement in its entirety. I think it sounds great - fleet and taut, perhaps lacking the last ounce of 'epic' ... and that initial oboe theme in the first movement opening is NEVER accentuated jazzily enough (compared with how I hear it!)
                          I have similar feelings about the ending of Shostakovich 4, it's never quie slow enough and gloomy enough for me!

I first heard a brief extract from the finale of the Walton in about 1947 when i was still a child. There used to be a radio programme called Scrapbook which featured events recalled from earlier years. It must have been the edition for 1934 that I heard, and I was bowled over by the majestic music of what I later realised was the finale. That far back the only available recording would have been the Hamilton Harty, actually made in 1935, and I have it now on CD. Naturally, it shows its age but it still has a certain magic for me!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                            I have similar feelings about the ending of Shostakovich 4, it's never quie slow enough and gloomy enough for me!
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTU_KMyy_es

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Szell is the man who it is really a shame did not record Walton 1 . His record of No 2 , Partita and Hindemith Variations is quite magnificent .

Comment

Working...
                              X