• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

BBC Music Magazine CD list

Does anyone know what has happened to knowledgewise?
    They used to keep a list of BBC Music Magazine CD contents, but the link now seems to have gone.
    I found it very useful, and am missing it already!

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other list?
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    Does anyone know what has happened to knowledgewise?
    They used to keep a list of BBC Music Magazine CD contents, but the link now seems to have gone.
    I found it very useful, and am missing it already!

Alternatively, does anyone know of any other list?
    Is this any good?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

It may help you to know that the numbering of the main BBCMM series, in order of issue, was:

101-142
      43-100
      201 onwards

Comment

• Pulcinella
        Host
        • Feb 2014

Thanks; certainly better than nothing. Sadly not so detailed and searchable as the knowledgewise list.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          Thanks; certainly better than nothing. Sadly not so detailed and searchable as the knowledgewise list.
          The knowledgepage list has been cached. Using Firefox it's at:

Unfortunately the pdf and Excel links on the cached page do not work. The best you can do is copy the lot and paste it into a word processor.

I have saved the content as a .txt file and can upload it to a file sharing site, say WeTransfer.com. It would only stay there a week but could uploaded again if needed.
          Last edited by Bryn; 26-06-14, 23:55.

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Thanks Bryn

I should have thought of there being a cached version somewhere.
            I think that I now have what you have found (using Safari), saved in my Reading List (not sure if that's now MY cached copy or if it still searches for the original cache). I'll try transferring it into some file or other (even if only plain text; the heading suggests that it's an HTML file) on my Mac later: shame it's not in Excel form, though.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

A bit OT but it seems the BBCMM cover disc has gone spineless and to have lost its jewels (as in cases). All I got in the way of packaging and presentation today was a card slipcase with folded sheet of programme notes. Environmentally friendly and economical, maybe, but how do I find them on my shelves in future?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                A bit OT but it seems the BBCMM cover disc has gone spineless and to have lost its jewels (as in cases). All I got in the way of packaging and presentation today was a card slipcase with folded sheet of programme notes. Environmentally friendly and economical, maybe, but how do I find them on my shelves in future?
                that's exactly what I have sent as a reaction on the BBC MM website.
                Looking at the works on this latest CD and what to expect for the next one: does look like entering the CFM-avenue further as well.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

My thoughts too. There is also the possibility of damage to the CD as the postman/woman tries to push the magazine through the letter box. Of course, there were times when the jewel case got damaged but this was less of an issue as I have loads of empties (courtesy of Gramophone).
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

I burn them to a HD and then discard them

Comment

• soileduk
                      • Nov 2010

Has everyone who is opposed to this change registered this fact by using the post paid reply note or by using

Ah,just seen the full implications of post #8.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                        Has everyone who is opposed to this change registered this fact by using the post paid reply note or by using
                        www.classical-music.com/cdfeedback-2014
                        I did and I urge those who oppose to the change do the same asap.
                        Last edited by Guest; 06-07-14, 09:36.

Comment

• hafod
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by soileduk View Post
                          www.classical-music.com/cdfeedback-2014
                          Thank you. I rather like the new trial arrangement especially on space-saving grounds. I see that a download is suggested as another option. If that was at the expense of a cd, then I would cancel my subscription.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            I burn them to a HD and then discard them
                            I don't do that, but I notice that these things turn up in charity shops. If I were going to discard them I'd most likely take a bag round to one of the local charity shops.

If desperate one could still use an old jewel case, and copy the design on the cardboard sleeve to make a new one - though seems to be a lot of work. One could probably make a generic design which could easily be run off each month.

I had a friend who didn't like a lot of the designs of CD covers anyway, so he often made his own. There haven't been many designs I've felt that strongly about.

However, if it's really a big deal, I don't mind adding support to the "bring back the case" petition, though I can see some merits in the cardboard sleeve approach. Maybe boxes to keep 10 or 20 (cardboard sleeves) in at a time would be a better solution. Saves a lot of shelf space that way, I think.

Comment

• PJPJ
                              • Nov 2010

To those who already have the August issue: is the CD in a cardboard sleeve?

Comment

Working...
                              X