X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Curalach
    • Sep 2024

Bruckner Symphonies: Wand

I see that the Cologne Radio Orchestra/Wand set of Bruckner symphonies is being re-issued in April in a 9 disc box at £16.99 from HMV.com.
    This seems remarkable value. I don't have any Wand in my collection although I heard him conduct Bruckner many times at the Edinburgh Festival.

Any views on these performances?

There are several tempting offerings in the Classical Masters series from Sony, BMG and RCA at very modest prices.
  • StephenO

I only have his BPO Eighth but, on the strength of that, this sounds like an unmissable bargain.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

It's difficult to keep track of all of Wand's many versions of the Bruckner canon but this would appear to be his first cycle from the late 1970's/early 1980's (I think). This is the one cycle I don't have but as Wand is without peer in this music I wouldn't hesitate and I'll be shelling out myself for it.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Curalach

As far as I can see these recordings were made between 1974 and 1981. I am encouraged by the comments from you both and will order the set.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

There are quite a few new Sony boxes available for 'pre-order' at very competitive prices at hmv.com at the moment. However, you need to copy the catalogue number from the hmv site and paste it into the search facility at somewhere like Presto to get a detailed listing of what's in the boxes. My credit card bill is going to ber somewhat inflated next month. I do feel a little guilty about using Presto et al for the details and yet placing the orders with hmv.com, but I can live with such guilt.

Comment

• Curalach

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I do feel a little guilty about using Presto et al for the details and yet placing the orders with hmv.com, but I can live with such guilt.
            Me too Bryn, while it lasts. The LVCR threshold is to be reduced from £18 to £15 if I understand today's budget.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Yes, looks like we have until November, after which many less orders are likely to be placed for boxed sets, not only from the Channel Island, but from over The Pond, too. Furthermore, next year's budget will consider lowering the new £15 threshhold.

Comment

• Roehre

May I point especially to one symphony in the RCA Wand set: no.1 is in the 1891 Vienna version, not the much more recorded Linz (either 1866 or 1877) version.
                Btw: The whole set is very recommendable IMO.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

The Bruckner set, along with Fritz Reiner Richard Strauss and the Robert Casadesus play Mozart boxes. etc., arrived from Presto Classical today (see my recent message in the Presto thread re. their poor service regarding p&p charges on this occasion). None of these new Sony/BMG boxes have booklets, just card slip cases.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

The Bruckner set, along with Fritz Reiner Richard Strauss and the Robert Casadesus play Mozart boxes. etc., arrived from Presto Classical today (see my recent message in the Presto thread re. their poor service regarding p&p charges on this occasion). None of these new Sony/BMG boxes have booklets, just card slip cases.
                    My Bruckner set arrived today as well. Glad you've mentioned the lack of booklets as I thought there was a mistake. Doesn't unduly bother me if truth be told.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      My Bruckner set arrived today as well. Glad you've mentioned the lack of booklets as I thought there was a mistake. Doesn't unduly bother me if truth be told.
                      Likewise, though I would have welcomed a little more information on the editions used.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Likewise, though I would have welcomed a little more information on the editions used.
                        Try here

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                          Try here
                          Great stuff, Panjandrum - very resourceful! Many thanks!

Could someone who now owns this bargain set let me know if there are any dodgy side breaks, please

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Great stuff, Panjandrum - very resourceful! Many thanks!

Could someone who now owns this bargain set let me know if there are any dodgy side breaks, please
                            Yes, an exemplary review from Richard Osborne. Am51: the only side break is with the first movement of the 8th sharing the penultimate disc with the 9th while the other movements are on the final CD. Again this doesn't bother me.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Yes, an exemplary review from Richard Osborne. Am51: the only side break is with the first movement of the 8th sharing the penultimate disc with the 9th while the other movements are on the final CD. Again this doesn't bother me.
                              Me neither, at this price - many thanks Petrushka ;smiley:

Comment

Working...
                              X