X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AmpH
    • Feb 2012

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
    Not just me then. I think it was even a BaL recommendation(!) I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, well, what can one add...?
    Wasn't sure about the BaL, so I checked and it was indeed chosen by Martin Cotton on 20 October 2003 ! There has been a subsequent BaL on this work by Roy Goodman though on 9 April 2011, which I seem to remember wasn't to everyone's taste ! ( RG chose Faust / Prague PO / Belohlavek ).

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      Not just me then. I think it was even a BaL recommendation(!) I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, well, what can one add...?
      It was, and rightly so.

Comment

• martin_opera

The Emmanuel Krivine complete symphonies (£15 odd on Amazon download) wonderful energy and the 7th is exhilarating.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
          Wasn't sure about the BaL, so I checked and it was indeed chosen by Martin Cotton on 20 October 2003 ! There has been a subsequent BaL on this work by Roy Goodman though on 9 April 2011, which I seem to remember wasn't to everyone's taste ! ( RG chose Faust / Prague PO / Belohlavek ).
          Phew... that's a relief then... ( RG chose Faust / Prague PO / Belohlavek).
          If I were to believe all the somewhat whining 'HIPP detractors' on these boards I would have been led to think that Roy Goodman dismissed ALL 'non-HIPP' recordings out of hand.

I'm still not sure to this day how he managed to be impartial in his BaL review, since one of the finest - if not maybe the very finest - HIPP recordings of the Beethoven VC is by Stephanie Chase with the Hanover Band conducted by... Roy Goodman!

Comment

• MickyD
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            Got most of them as they were released (the first and third symphonies, along with piano concertos on LP) then eventually got the boxed set of symphonies on CD when that came out. The Hanover Band also provided the orchestral contribution to a television programmed about the 'Emperor' concerto. I have been trying to find a recording of that, ever since. I tried emailing various luminaries in the Band but none of them could even recall participating. The gist of the programme was that due to a copyist's error at the time of its original publication, the full score had the wrong time signature for the second movement. The orchestral parts were marked in cut common time, whereas the full score had common time. The upshot being that it was usually played at about half the tempo it should. I was won over by the demonstration. I forget who the fortepianist was, but it was a male, not Mary Verney (who was the fortepianist for the Nimbus recordings).
            Bryn...I have hazy memories of this programme which I think was shown on BBC2 in the early 80s under the title 'The Emperor's New Clothes'. If I remember rightly, Roger Norrington conducted, so maybe it was the London Classical Players, not The Hanover Band? But like you, I can't remember who the fortepianist was.

Similarly, at around the same time, there were two programmes of Mozart symphonies for the BBC recorded on location in Kedleston Hall by The Academy of Ancient Music and Christopher Hogwood, which coincided with the first releases of their Mozart cycle. Hogwood spoke about the instruments in between the musical extracts...I would dearly love to see this again, as it was a landmark moment in HIP. I do hope the tapes are still preserved somewhere at the BBC.

Comment

• AmpH
              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by Tony View Post
              If I were to believe all the somewhat whining 'HIPP detractors' on these boards I would have been led to think that Roy Goodman dismissed ALL 'non-HIPP' recordings out of hand.

I'm still not sure to this day how he managed to be impartial in his BaL review, since one of the finest - if not maybe the very finest - HIPP recordings of the Beethoven VC is by Stephanie Chase with the Hanover Band conducted by... Roy Goodman!
              I think you will find, that once you are able to see through the fog generated by your unnecessary and intemperate ' whining ', that you have answered your own question - the key word being ' impartial '. Or alternatively perhaps the recording simply wasn't available ( as required by the BaL rules ) at the time of the programme.

Perhaps an enquiry to Mr Goodman might assuage your feelings of loss ? If you do so, I would be obliged if you could pass on my complements on a fine recording.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                I think you will find, that once you are able to see through the fog generated by your unnecessary and intemperate ' whining ', that you have answered your own question - the key word being ' impartial '. Or alternatively perhaps the recording simply wasn't available ( as required by the BaL rules ) at the time of the programme.

Perhaps an enquiry to Mr Goodman might assuage your feelings of loss ? If you do so, I would be obliged if you could pass on my complements on a fine recording.
                Many thanks, AmpH, I'd like to assure you that I have absolutely no 'feelings of loss' at all.
                And, of course, as you request, I will pass on to Roy Goodman ( I'll be seeing him in a few weeks) your complements (sic) on 'his' fine recording of the Beethoven Violin concerto ( accompanied by Stephanie Chase)

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

A manager at my place of work accuses anyone who dares to express an opinion contrary to his - of whining. And he likes to name-drop too.

Comment

• AmpH
                    • Feb 2012

Many thanks, AmpH, I'd like to assure you that I have absolutely no 'feelings of loss' at all.
                    And, of course, as you request, I will pass on to Roy Goodman ( I'll be seeing him in a few weeks) your complements (sic) on 'his' fine recording of the Beethoven Violin concerto ( accompanied by Stephanie Chase)
                    I am delighted to hear all is fine after all Tony. I am perfectly well aware of the roles of soloist / orchestra / conductor, so kindly dispense with the childish emoticons and wilfull misinterpretation of what I wrote - it isn't clever at all and if that is the best you can come up with then I suggest you keep your
                    ' thoughts ' to yourself.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Of course Faust was then tempted to re-record it by Abbado's offer .

Wise move - it is much more exciting than her earlier account .

Other recent Beethoven - Annie Fischer's recordings of some of the sonatas in her ICON set - downright magnificent and a Waldstein in particular to make you jump to your feet and applaud at the end .

Showing how BALs can change over the years didn't Bernard Keefe equally raise eyebrows when he chose Menuhin's very slow and somewhat technically fallible late recording with Masur ? I have that on LP in parts it is utterly magical and others less so .

Comment

• visualnickmos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        ....Bernard Keefe equally raise eyebrows when he chose Menuhin's very slow and somewhat technically fallible late recording with Masur ? I have that on LP in parts it is utterly magical and others less so .
                        I don't know this one, but I do have Menuhin with Silvestri conducting the Wiener Philharmoniker recorded in 1960. Menuhin at perhaps the height of his powers, still at that time?

Comment

• gamba
                          Late member
                          • Dec 2010

Complete quartets. - Vegh Qt.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                            Remember to compensate for the pre-emphasis if ripping to mp3, etc.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by gamba View Post
                              I'm thrilled to have this set gamba. I'm absorbing it quite slowly so that the delight lasts that bit longer

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Beethoven Piano Concertos 1 and 2 Solomon

Comment

Working...
                                X