• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
    Symphonies Nos 1 - 4 plus some overtures; Tafelmusik/Bruno Weil recorded live in 2012/13
    Aha! I had stopped opening their emails due to frustration at not being able to attend any of their oh so enticing concerts. Now listening to the 2nd via Qobuz desktop FLAC stream. So far, it does not disappoint. Only the 9th to go now, and they will have recorded the lot.

Comment

• Pianoman
      • Jan 2013

24/96 downloads of Vanska and Sudbin in concertos 3,4,5

Comment

• kea
        • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Aha! I had stopped opening their emails due to frustration at not being able to attend any of their oh so enticing concerts. Now listening to the 2nd via Qobuz desktop FLAC stream. So far, it does not disappoint. Only the 9th to go now, and they will have recorded the lot.
        OT but Qobuz related question (I may have asked this before, don't remember): are recordings listed as unavailable for streaming on the website made available to stream for paid subscribers? I'm thinking particularly of the majority of ECM, MDG and Hyperion releases, which all seem to be listed as download only; especially because they're not on NML or Spotify either.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Last acquisition was sort of accidental. There are three very good Beethoven discs on the HM Lumières box, as recommended by many on here:
          Paul Lewis - Sonatas, Herreweghe - Choral, Tokyo - Quartets

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kea View Post
            OT but Qobuz related question (I may have asked this before, don't remember): are recordings listed as unavailable for streaming on the website made available to stream for paid subscribers? I'm thinking particularly of the majority of ECM, MDG and Hyperion releases, which all seem to be listed as download only; especially because they're not on NML or Spotify either.
            The same situation applies to paid up subscribers. Naxos titles are similarly restricted.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Last acquisition was sort of accidental. There are three very good Beethoven discs on the HM Lumières box, as recommended by many on here:
              Paul Lewis - Sonatas, Herreweghe - Choral, Tokyo - Quartets
              Oh, yes, of course! They're my most recent Beethoven purchases, too.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• pastoralguy
                • Nov 2010

Three of the most popular piano sonatas played by Maria-Josephe Jude.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                  No recent scrowaczewski symphonies for you Nethers ?
                  O.K. Now they are added in the form of the 90th birthday box. Royal Mail did try to deliver it on Tuesday but I was at work. They made a further attempt today, which I very nearly missed as I had briefly popped out to the back garden to move some bay tree prunings away from the area ost favoured by the fox cubs and their mum for sunning themselves. When I got back inside, two small CD packages and a red card were on the door mat. I rushed out just in time to catch the postman (not Errol on this occasion) leaving next door.

It's a bit annoying that the Bruckner editions used by Scrowaczewski are not mentioned anywhere in the booklet or other artwork. One amazon.com customer offers:

"F minor (Nowak); No.1 (Haas, the so-called "Linz" version of 1877); "0" (Nowak); #2 (1st Nowak edition--a hybrid of 1877 and 1872); #3 (Nowak's edition of the 1888-89 version); #4 (Nowak's edition of the 1886 version); #5 (Nowak's edition of the 1878 version); #6 (Nowak); #7 (Nowak); #8 (Nowak's edition of the 1890 revised version); #9 (Nowak)". At least one gets away from Haas's arrangement of the 8th.

Comment

• Parry1912
                    • Nov 2010

This S/H, minus slipcase, from a market stall.
                    Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• kea
                      • Dec 2013

As of now it's the cello sonatas as done by Miklós Perényi & András Schiff. For whatever reason I've never warmed to the personalities of the musicians on the well-loved Du Pré/Barenboim recording, and think this might be a better fit. (Was also interested in Pieter Wispelwey & Paul Komen's period instruments recording but it seems to be out of print)

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        Blimey! Bit late to the table there, aren't you?
                        I am even later, as I only just got round to getting The Hanover Band's Beethoven symphony cycle which must have been about the very first HIP cycle of all. If you like the big Nimbus acoustic (which I do), then it's worth a listen.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

It was the Beethoven items in the 107 CD Furtwangler box, though some of these I already had.

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            I am even later, as I only just got round to getting The Hanover Band's Beethoven symphony cycle which must have been about the very first HIP cycle of all. If you like the big Nimbus acoustic (which I do), then it's worth a listen.
                            Got most of them as they were released (the first and third symphonies, along with piano concertos on LP) then eventually got the boxed set of symphonies on CD when that came out. The Hanover Band also provided the orchestral contribution to a television programmed about the 'Emperor' concerto. I have been trying to find a recording of that, ever since. I tried emailing various luminaries in the Band but none of them could even recall participating. The gist of the programme was that due to a copyist's error at the time of its original publication, the full score had the wrong time signature for the second movement. The orchestral parts were marked in cut common time, whereas the full score had common time. The upshot being that it was usually played at about half the tempo it should. I was won over by the demonstration. I forget who the fortepianist was, but it was a male, not Mary Verney (who was the fortepianist for the Nimbus recordings).

Comment

• AmpH
                              • Feb 2012

Given the plentifull stocks on my shelves, I rarely buy any LvB discs these days. The last two purchases were some time ago, with opposite results. A second hand copy of the violin concerto from Zehetmair / Bruggen on Philips proved to be quite the dullest, blandest and most tedious recording of this work I have ever heard and was given to a charity shop. Whereas, the sparkling recordings of the complete symphonies by Anima Eterna / Immerseel have gained a high place in my affections, along with Mackerras, Zinman, Norrington, Chailly, Cluytens, Kempe .................

Comment

• visualnickmos
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                                .....the violin concerto from Zehetmair / Bruggen on Philips proved to be quite the dullest, blandest and most tedious recording of this work I have ever heard and was given to a charity shop...
                                Not just me then. I think it was even a BaL recommendation(!) I could be mistaken, but if I'm not, well, what can one add...?

Comment

Working...
                                X