• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Beethoven
    Piano concertos 4 & 5
    Artur Rubinstein, Boston Symphony Orchestra/Erich Leinsdorf

My, what scintilating performances, they are..... !

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
      Beethoven
      Piano concertos 4 & 5
      Artur Rubinstein, Boston Symphony Orchestra/Erich Leinsdorf

My, what scintilating performances, they are..... !
      I have the cycle!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Ronald Brautigam's Complete Beethoven Sonatas on fortepianos (BIS); and Robert Levin/ORR/Gardiner in the fortepiano concertos (Artchiv). The concertos are a delight; possibly only in the Fifth is one aware of that lack of power with which Beethoven berated his fortepiano makers. Otherwise, the clarity of the recordings brings to life details which one almost never hears in traditional performances.

Comment

• pastoralguy
          • Nov 2010

Mrs PG bought me the recent Sir Simon/Berliner Philharmoniker discs from the orchestra's own label. Absolutely fantastic playing and lots of details revealed that I've never noticed before.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            It was the Beethoven items in the 107 CD Furtwangler box, though some of these I already had.
            Five years on and this is still my most recent Beethoven acquisition.

Comment

• Mal
              • Dec 2016

The Beaux Arts Trio 5CD box set (Cohen incarnation) playing the piano trios, and anything that involved, or might have involved, a piano trio,... superb set, even the take on Symphony No 2 works (kind of...)

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mal View Post
                The Beaux Arts Trio 5CD box set (Cohen incarnation) playing the piano trios, and anything that involved, or might have involved, a piano trio,... superb set, even the take on Symphony No 2 works (kind of...)
                I happen to have just listened to a marvellous version of the Op 1 No 3 Trio from Josef Suk, Rudolf Buchbinder and János Starker, recorded at the Schwetzingen Festival in 1973. It was re-discovered and issued in 2014 on Hänssler Classic. Coupled with Mendelssohn Trio No 1.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

My most recent purchase was a pair of Hyperion recordings of Op 95, 127, 132, & 135 played by the New Budapest 4tet ... bought for a quid each from a charity shop a fortnight ago tomorrow, and not yet played .
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• silvestrione
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                    Mrs PG bought me the recent Sir Simon/Berliner Philharmoniker discs from the orchestra's own label. Absolutely fantastic playing and lots of details revealed that I've never noticed before.
                    Yes I had this as a recent birthday present, and would endorse your comments. I think Rattle's last few years at the BPO were his best there. I also have the glorious Uchida/Rattle/BPO concerto set. (and the Mahler 6 set!)

Comment

• pastoralguy
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                      Yes I had this as a recent birthday present, and would endorse your comments. I think Rattle's last few years at the BPO were his best there. I also have the glorious Uchida/Rattle/BPO concerto set. (and the Mahler 6 set!)
                      I've been considering these Uchida/Rattle/BPO discs as I think she's a marvellous pianist. I suspect Sir Simon wasn't sorry to leave the Berlin Philharmonic. An extremely formidable group of players!

Comment

• silvestrione
                        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        I've been considering these Uchida/Rattle/BPO discs as I think she's a marvellous pianist. I suspect Sir Simon wasn't sorry to leave the Berlin Philharmonic. An extremely formidable group of players!
                        I haven't listened to concertos 4 and 5 yet (I'm saving them), but otherwise, apologising for the cliché, they come up so fresh, they make you hear them again as if for the first time...

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
                          These BPO Rattle sets appeared to me to be excessively expensive - do the recordings and performances merit the cost?

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            These BPO Rattle sets appeared to me to be excessively expensive - do the recordings and performances merit the cost?
                            Szell/Cleveland 1st and 6th symphonies (£1)

Comment

• visualnickmos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              I have the cycle!
                              Lucky man! I'm lacking only the concerto no. 1 I have 2 & 3, and 4 & 5, as individual discs. Hope I can get hold of the first. Long-deleted, I fear...

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Beethoven Symphony No.9. Sols/NFM Choir/Kammerorchester Basel/Antonini. Sony 24/96 2018 Qobuz Studio

Beethoven Symphonies 6 & 8. Wiener Symphoniker/Philippe Jordan. WS/Sony 24/96 2019 Qobuz Studio.

Remake remodel! Wonderfully fresh & vital recent issues....
                                Grab a listen any which way you can....

Comment

Working...
                                X