X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Your First Sibelius record

A coupling of the Seventh and Tapiola with the Philharmonia and Ashkenazy . I was transfixed and played nothing else much for a fortnight no doubt to the bemusement of my neighbours in the hall of residence .

What was yours ?
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Ooh! That's a tricky one. I think it might have been Maazel & the VPO's 5th & 7th coupling on cassette (with the last two minutes of the Fifth put onto the beginning of side two!!!!) But Gibson's First and Sargent's Second were early, too. Collins' 3 & 6 was bought at around that same time (Summer, 1976), too.

Boult's recordings of the Tempest prelude was coupled with The Planets which I bought much earlier, and Finlandia featured on a "mixed" programme.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• visualnickmos
      • Nov 2010

It was a Decca vinyl of symphony no 5, and Karelia Suite with Alexander Gibson and the London Symphony Orchestra. It was a totally new work to me, and when the ending arrived, well - I was bowled over. Those final notes were completely unexpected!

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

I won't forget this one. VPO/Maazel in a Decca LP of the Symphony No 1 and Karelia Suite. Purchased in 1975 it just blew me away. I bought the VPO/Maazel Symphony No 5 on the same day and so did that. It did, however, take me a bit longer to really like the rest of Sibelius after this but it came in time. Next up, I think, was Szell and the Concertgebouw in Symphony No 2 on a Philips Universo LP.

I had Finlandia on a Decca 'World of Your Hundred Best Tunes' LP for my 17th birthday (1971).
        Last edited by Petrushka; 24-06-14, 23:22.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Sibelius Symphony no. 1 VPO/Maazel in mono. However, I'd already listened to the Decca Ace of Clubs Collins recording of the same symphony, had seen Maazel conducting it in Manchester with the LSO and Barbirolli conducting it in Sheffield with the Halle.

Comment

• Madame Suggia
            • Sep 2012

Symphony No1 on Lp SNO Gibson.
            It sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it.
            Sounded so cold, Like a new, exciting world before me.
            and the LP cover was Icy too.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Collins / Sibelius 2 / Ace of Clubs.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

5th and Pohjola's Daughter - Hallé/Barbirolli (Pye Golden Guinea). Still firm favourite recordings.

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

Can't remember which way round but Sym 1 Collins on ACL and Sym2 Hannikainen on WRC.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

Symphony No 2 on MfP - BBCSO/Sargent; and a 7" disc with Swan of Tuonela and Finlandia (Tuxen/Jensen?) - both in the family record collection. Both had snow on the covers, causing long-term associations that I'm only just shaking off!

Comment

• Roehre

Blown away by 4 + Tapiola/VPO/Maazel in November 1975.
                      Between then and February 1976 the other records (1 + Karelia, 2, 3+6, 5+7) followed quickly.
                      for me with Davis on Philips (since early 1980s) the ones on my shelves.

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

I played the Symphony No. 1 on a youth orchestra course and immediately bought the Sargent/BBCSO recording of it on CfP. Very soon after that, Symphony No. 5 with either Jensen or Tuxen (I can't remember which) on Eclipse, and then Beecham/BBCSO live in Symphony No. 2 - an absolutely amazing record.

Comment

• frankwm

Decca SXLE 6558-61: The Seven Symphonies - Vienna PO / Maazel: bought October 1972 from Opus Records (mail order) @ £4.50 (rrp: £6.40) - probably encouraged by Christopher Breunig's very enthusiastic review in Hi-Fi News/Record Review.
                          After 40+ years it would be interesting to compare with the original 1960's SXL's; though suspect in direct comparison the pre-war (...) HMV Society issues/ Kajanus Columbia's would be preferable performances; as only the Maazel no.4 really grabbed me @ the time...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

5. BPO/Karajan.
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

All the symphonies on Decca Eclipse, with Anthony Collins and the LSO. All bought around 1971-2, but I don't remember which was first (possible No. 1).

Comment

Working...
                              X