WHERE did you buy your first classical record/s?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Certainly defunct for several decades, Cranes in Regent Street, Wrexham.*

They sold pianos in those days too.

But to whom?

* it may be a McDonald's by this

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Tony View Post
      Many thanks, Tony - is it in the basement of the Mill/Gallery, where the furnishings are/were (the bit of the Mill I rarely visit: the Throws are a bit expensive!)?

And, darn; not open Sundays! (That's the day I most often visit Saltaire - free parking! ) Might pop down on Monday or Wednesday next week.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roslynmuse View Post
        Whereabouts was that? The only Stockport shop I recall was the old 78 Record Exchange which closed about 10 years ago.
        I'm not sure where the original shop was, but it moved into the Merseyway precinct (south side).

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Tony View Post

'
          Sorry about that, I intended to be constructive about this... the 'Early Music Shop' part of Woods is now ( and has been for several years) located in the huge Titus Salt ex-mill in that wonderful place SALTAIRE which although once a separate village is now a part of Bradford itself.
          Well worth a visit.
          I love that shop. I bought my wonderful Mollenhauer recorder there. Unfortunately, it's now owned by The Borg (Music Sales), but so far it hasn't gone down the pan in the way shops like Banks have.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
            ER, do you remember Nield & Hardy in Stockport?
            Whereabouts was that? The only Stockport shop I recall was the old 78 Record Exchange which closed about 10 years ago.
            Blimey EA that's blast from the past.
            I remember the shop but can't for the life of me recall the record department,although Mrs ER assures me there was one.

Roslynmuse,the 78 Record Exchange (Underbank ?)was another haven of course.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              Blimey EA that's blast from the past.
              I remember the shop but can't for the life of me recall the record department,although Mrs ER assures me there was one.

Roslynmuse,the 78 Record Exchange (Underbank ?)was another haven of course.
              Indeed. As well as the LPs (I have never been a 78 collector) I also picked up some decent scores there, including a complete Eulenberg Ring cycle! Nothing left in Stockport now except Dawsons for sheet music: the Music Exchange closed a few years back too.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                • Apr 2007

My first purchase was from WHS Winchester, a mono Saga deletion for 25p commemorated on the English Music 1st purchase thread. Later I worked in their record dept as a vac job - most enjoyable/ educative

I put a fair amount of money in the way of the various Winchester record shops from about 1970 on: Teague & King, long gone (I recall buying the Silvestri In the South and the Argo St Johns Palestrina LP (Missae Brevis & Assumpta est Maria) there c1972, possibly with my first ever real earnings (Winchester tax office, Dirty Duck Buildings, Southgate St). Lots from Suttons (worked there too as a vac job) and from the longest survivor, Whitwams, Upper High St. What a shock when it closed - early 90s?
                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                  • Nov 2010

Indeed. As well as the LPs (I have never been a 78 collector) I also picked up some decent scores there, including a complete Eulenberg Ring cycle! Nothing left in Stockport now except Dawsons for sheet music: the Music Exchange closed a few years back too.
                  Now closed too.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                    • Jul 2011

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                    Now closed too.
                    I suppose it's over a year since I was last there - but even so...

Comment

• P. G. Tipps
                      • Jun 2014

Prisunic Supermarket, Paris, when I was a schoolboy on holiday. It was a selection of Rossini and Boieldieu Overtures, and a gift for my parents, but I loved the LP so much it ended up being mine.

Comment

• CallMePaul
                        • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                        ER, do you remember Nield & Hardy in Stockport?
                        Can't speak for Rob, but I remember it and this one is now a McDonald's! It was at the far end of Merseyway from the bus station. I think it was taken over by the Music Discount Centre (RIP) but they ran it down and the shop closed less than a year later.

Comment

• birkenshawboy

Boots, Doncaster. April 1972. Richard Strauss Greatest Hits (CBS).

Comment

• Padraig
                            • Feb 2013

I am looking at it now: J.S. Bach Brandenburg Concerto No.3 The Basle Chamber Orchestra Paul Sacher Philips Classical Favourites
                            Takes up both sides of an EP. Bought in Blackpool 1956.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by birkenshawboy View Post
                              Boots, Doncaster. April 1972. Richard Strauss Greatest Hits (CBS).
                              I had the Prokofiev Lp which was a source of tremendous pleasure to me! I now have it on cd, bought in New York.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                                Gone fishin'
                                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                                I had the Prokofiev Lp which was a source of tremendous pleasure to me!
                                - with Bernstein's top speed Classical and the Peter & the Wolf "Symphonic Poem" (all the narration omited); Ormandy's Kijé and Three Oranges March. Super LP - and 99p!
                                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                                X