Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • visualnickmos
    • Nov 2010

Mahler 4th CfP, LPO/Horenstein soloist; Margaret Price (if memory serves me correctly, without getting up and checking!)

Comment

• DublinJimbo
      • Nov 2011

My first Mahler recording was the original LP of Mahler 4 with Judith Raskin, the Cleveland Orchestra and George Szell (1965 or '66, I'd guess). It got played to death and must have driven my long-suffering parents nuts. But what music! And what a performance! If time didn't permit listening to the entire work, I'd drop the needle at the beginning of the slow movement and float away into another world, knowing that amazing climax was coming but still getting a shiver as it erupted.

Comment

• Zucchini
        • Nov 2010

I'm afraid that I've never owned a Mahler recording and wouldn''t dream of attending a live performance. There are a lot of us about! I'm not missing out - I can find better things to do with my money and time

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by visualnickmos View Post
          Mahler 4th CfP, LPO/Horenstein soloist; Margaret Price (if memory serves me correctly, without getting up and checking!)
          Still got the LP. Also Ace of Clubs Lisa della Casa, Vier Letzte Lieder + Ferrier Rückert Lieder.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
            I'm afraid that I've never owned a Mahler recording and wouldn''t dream of attending a live performance. There are a lot of us about! I'm not missing out - I can find better things to do with my money and time
            Zucch a pity, but your loss I guess!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

A good friend of mine is an obsessive rock music fan and Mahler is the only classical music he does listen to. I suppose this is actually the same phenomenon as with you, but the other side of the coin.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                • Nov 2010

I have heard far too little Mahler in concert - something I really should correct .

Comment

• kea
                  • Dec 2013

Basically agree with this! Except I just acquired my first & second Mahler recordings, Symphonies 7 & 6, being the two works I seem to have been the least neutral about in past listenings. Still not sure the music will ever do anything for me, but at least I've got some of it now in case I ever feel the compulsion...

Oh and I'm looking into getting some of the orchestral songs, Christian Gerhaher has the least offensive/operatic voice of most of the singers I can find on Qobuz so probably will be him.

Comment

Working...
                  X