• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
    Just listening to Mahler 4 on R3 now. Was my first Mahler record, LPO under Jascha Horenstein, label(is that the term?) Classics for Pleasure and WD&HO Wills Master Series. Bought it in Bracknell c1975.
    Where in Bracknell, the old WH Smith in the Broadway by any chance?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
      (I do love the photo of Bruno Walter on the cover of the LPs - a wonderful face, so full of humanity.)
      .... plus the wonderful head of Mahler by Rodin
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        Where in Bracknell, the old WH Smith in the Broadway by any chance?
        I can see a new thread here: "Where did you buy your first classical records"? For the record, mine were purchased from the legendary "Woods" of Bognor Regis and the short lived Bastow's Classics in Chichester.

Sussex boy me.

Comment

• visualnickmos
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by arancie33 View Post
          .....Was my first Mahler record, LPO under Jascha Horenstein, label(is that the term?) Classics for Pleasure and WD&HO Wills Master Series.
          Mine too! Bought in the Co-op, Gillingham High Street, about '73 or '74.....
          A couple of years ago I found it on CD (EMI France) Bought in FNAC, Montpellier

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
            Not been played for a couple of decades. The garage acts as a kind of halfway house to oblivion, also containing several bits of furniture and household utensils left there by my daughter about ten years ago. I should probably dump the lot of it.
            It always amuses me that vinylphiliacs, in their continual damnation of all things digital, overlook the fact that most of the lps that one can purchase at second hand shops have been stored in a garage, or an attic, or God Knows Where for probably decades before they wound up in the second hand shops, and probably have more mold and mildew in their grooves than music.
            Back OT, I now own that on CD and it is interesting how much more information one pircks up, particularly in the first movement, and not all of it welcome. It is very obvious when the air conditioning in the recording venue turns on and off, sheet music loudly hits the floor a few times, and the Conductor's grunts all come through in a way that the lp never revealed.
            It is still a great performance, although my favorite is Abbado with the CSO.

Comment

• umslopogaas
              • Nov 2010

As a vinylphile, openly admitted and proud of it, I dont at all damn all things digital, indeed I buy CDs every month, but I own an LP cleaning machine and I assure you that after a good scrub on the Keith Monks even the dirtiest record can sound fine, always supposing the dirt is removable by 50% alcohol and the LP isnt otherwise damaged. But you are right that second hand LPs you can pick up in second hand shops are usually wrecked: there are enough sharp-eyed people who know out there scanning those shops to snap up anything worth while. I gave up on second hand shops long ago, I never found anything worth my money, though I have met people who claim they have. They must get up earlier than me.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                As a vinylphile, openly admitted and proud of it, I dont at all damn all things digital, indeed I buy CDs every month, but I own an LP cleaning machine and I assure you that after a good scrub on the Keith Monks even the dirtiest record can sound fine, always supposing the dirt is removable by 50% alcohol and the LP isnt otherwise damaged. ......

makes two of us using the Keith Monks.

Comment

• Karafan
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  the same record, last week exactly 40 years ago (June 7th 1974), followed on June 10th with Cooke's 10th Morris/New Philharmonia, triggering going for the Kubelik set october 10th 1974 (a lot of money for a poor student)
                  Did you all keep the receipts or note down the purchase dates?! Impressed!
                  "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• richardfinegold
                    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                    As a vinylphile, openly admitted and proud of it, I dont at all damn all things digital, indeed I buy CDs every month, but I own an LP cleaning machine and I assure you that after a good scrub on the Keith Monks even the dirtiest record can sound fine, always supposing the dirt is removable by 50% alcohol and the LP isnt otherwise damaged. But you are right that second hand LPs you can pick up in second hand shops are usually wrecked: there are enough sharp-eyed people who know out there scanning those shops to snap up anything worth while. I gave up on second hand shops long ago, I never found anything worth my money, though I have met people who claim they have. They must get up earlier than me.
                    Where do you buy your lps from, if not second hand shops?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      Where do you buy your lps from, if not second hand shops?
                      There is/are mail order firms that make new pressings of vinyl LPs - a friend of mine regularly buys brand new LPs from them (they all seem to be licensed from HMV): they are impressive (probably better than EMI were wont to produce themselves in the late '70s!). He just loves the sound of needle touching leader track.

Me? Apart from cover art (and latterly sleeve notes) I've been in love with CDs since they first appeared.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        There is/are mail order firms that make new pressings of vinyl LPs - a friend of mine regularly buys brand new LPs from them (they all seem to be licensed from HMV): they are impressive (probably better than EMI were wont to produce themselves in the late '70s!). He just loves the sound of needle touching leader track.

Me? Apart from cover art (and latterly sleeve notes) I've been in love with CDs since they first appeared.
                        These newly pressed lps tend to be uber expensive, about $40 a throw here.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Karafan View Post
                          Did you all keep the receipts or note down the purchase dates?! Impressed!
                          No, some dates only stick better to my memory than others.

Comment

• Petrushka
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                            No, some dates only stick better to my memory than others.
                            It's the same for me. I can remember the exact dates on which I first bought each of the Mahler symphonies without recourse to diaries etc.
                            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• pastoralguy
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                              Yes. Me too! I remember hearing the Dutoit 'Daphne's and Chloe' on cd played by a wealthy friend who bought a CD player the day there were available. I remember waiting for the hiss and crackle. I'm still waiting...

Comment

Working...
                              X