X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven!
    Ex-member
    • Sep 2013

Tempting, but I've acquired too many Sibelius cycles - normally one new one per year, so I think I'll give it a miss. Good price, though.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Always had a penchant for buying sets of complete symphonies. The thud of a bigger pack on the doormat, all those lovely decisions about order of listening, just a sense of fullness and fulfilment .....

I have resisted this set until now.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        Always had a penchant for buying sets of complete symphonies. The thud of a bigger pack on the doormat, all those lovely decisions about order of listening, just a sense of fullness and fulfilment .....

I have resisted this set until now.
        Depends who wrote the symphonies chuck

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

I thought the BAL mentioned a surround sound version - though perhaps that was something else - perhaps Rosenkavalier. The Sibelius set does at least appear to be available in a higher resolution format, which may sound better - http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Deta...=CHAN%2010809M - though it does cost more, and one has to have a way of playing the download back which would exploit the hopefully better audio quality.

Comment

• visualnickmos
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
            Even more to the point; who's 'rattling' them out

Comment

• Beef Oven!
              Ex-member
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              Sibelius, one of your favourites?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

That section in CD review I will have to hear again soon. Was a rather good one.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  They did sound ryddu good, didn't they!

Oh, you lucky, lucky ...

My own Debit card is saying "Go on, ferney: you know you want to!"

Ferns each of your contributions on this thread 'speaks aloud' my own thoughts... I caught up today with the Scandi-section of yesterday's CD Review, and found it very very tempting! A pity there were no extracts from 4, 5 & 6 (I suppose they couldn't play everything) and I'm slightly wary of extracts which sound crisp and tempting on CD Review - I was taken in by the extracts from the Paavo Jarvi/Bremen LvB symphonies which I found sounded rather trim and silly when I got them home

However... the brass sounded electrifyingly good, and the presence of the timps remarkable - maybe too much, pastor? And didn't the strings sound comparatively anonymous, even swamped sometimes? Because you are clearly familiar with the set...

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                  Being a big Sibelius fan, I bought them the day they were released. I think they're superb and all that was said this morning was true. My one reservation is the first movt. transition into the 'scherzo' section where there gear changes are, IMHO, just a little clunky. (Not a patch on Karajan, Davis or Gibson).

But I would wholeheartedly recommend them.
                  Reading 'fifth' for 'first' there, I'm slightly worried about the fifth then... it's got to be right, and often people muck it up! (Actually, of the others you mention, I always felt Davis didn't 'get' the fifth in the way I hear it - he said, like a pompous arse .... Karajan was one of my half dozen first and much treasured cassettes at Uni, much played and loved... and subsequently, Vanska / Lahti is the one for me in this piece)

OH..... what to do?!?!? Like Beefy I don't need any more!! But....

Good discussion about them on CD Review though. Compelling listening!

(btw I think the 'surround sound' discussion was about the BIS disc from Vanska... But the Storgards recordings are available on 'lossless CD' and 'studio master' download quality via the Chandos site.)

Actually that's another thing - Chandos recordings always SOUND so BLOODY GOOD on my system....
                  Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 08-06-14, 13:15.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    ...the presence of the timps remarkable
                    This alone would make me sit up and take notice. Is there another composer apart from Beethoven who wrote so well for the timps? They are crucial in Sibelius and while I'm hardly in the market for yet another cycle I could be tempted.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      This alone would make me sit up and take notice. Is there another composer apart from Beethoven who wrote so well for the timps? They are crucial in Sibelius and while I'm hardly in the market for yet another cycle I could be tempted.
                      Yes me too! - love a nice tight prominent timp part, esp in Sibelius.... I just wondered if they almost dominated to a fault, or whether it was the DAB radio I heard the extracts on... No 1 sounded almost like a concerto for Timpani and Orchestra...

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Is there another composer apart from Beethoven who wrote so well for the timps? They are crucial in Sibelius and while I'm hardly in the market for yet another cycle I could be tempted.
                        I don't generally do symphony-cycles but have somehow accumulated three Sibeliuses (Collins, Barbirolli, Berglund/BSO), plus at least three other single versions of each symph. (In the case of the 2nd a lot more...)

So why am I still tempted by the prospect of close-up (better, well-defined) timps?
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                          So why am I still tempted by the prospect of close-up (better, well-defined) timps?
                          I know!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

These sets of Storgards and Vanska do sound good?
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Dave2002
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              These sets of Storgards and Vanska do sound good?
                              I hadn't realised that Vänskä has re-recorded these symphonies with the Minnesota orchestra, and that's why that version is available as an SACD and in surround sound. I have the Lahti version which I downloaded - the performances are very good, though it seems that Kamu is now doing things all over again with the Lahti orchestra.

I find it a bit odd that Storgaard's version has been recorded in higher definition, and not available in surround, but that the disc version - normal CD is not the highest quality. Perhaps there's not a lot in this, but maybe there should be issues on Blu Ray, DVD, DVD-A or SACD. Having the highest quality versions only available via download just doesn't seem right to me.

Personally I still think there are merits in having some form of physical storage for music releases. If each symphony takes up a Gbyte or more, then downloads may occur additional costs for the data transfers, plus take time. If the recording companies don't want to put out disc formats, then surely they could provide a decent package with a USB memory. 8 or 16 Gbyte flash "drives" should be big enough to store hi-res lossless versions, and also be cheap enough, and they could provide a reasonable booklet to go with such to make a much better product.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                                Host
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                                "Go on, ferney: you know you want to!"
                                The cry of "Go on, Cali: you know you want to!" was too strong...

B*ll*cks to it - just downloaded the hi-res lossless version

The urge to have it on the big HiFi via the Airport Express, and in the car on a business trip this week, banished my caution!

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                                downloads may ... take time
                                You're not kidding. It took most of the Roland Garros men's final !

But it's now nestling on iTunes and on the iPod

Further reports to follow.

Bloody expensive CD Review this week!!

Comment

Working...
                                X