X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikealdren
    • Nov 2010

Tianwa Yang in Ysaye

I've been listening to her various Sarasate CDs as they appeared and they are very very good. Her Mendelssohn is able to stand up to the immense competition and I've just bought her Ysaye sonatas. It's quite remarkable and it's prompted me to do a CD/record review.

Listening to sets of Kavakos, Kremer, Ricci, Schmidt, Shumsky and Zehetmair plus odd sonatas from Josefowiwz, Oistrakh, Rabin, Skride, Vengerov and Zimbalist has been fascinating. Much of the playing is technically stunning (those with less than perfect techniques are cruelly exposed) but the characterisation of the individual pieces is what sets the best apart and Tianwa Yang has toppled the recent Leonadis Kavakos from the top of my list.

Mike.
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

It is a magnificent record and I love the way she plays them all so differently as plainly Ysaye appeared to have intended by his dedications to the six violinists he admired so.

Comment

• amateur51

I put Tianwa Yang's recording on my 'wish list' only last evening after reading the review of it in IRR - many thanks for this personal and positive review mikealdren

It's reasonably priced too

Comment

• mikealdren
        • Nov 2010

I heard her play the Brahms concerto a couple of weeks ago with the RPO in the Cadogan hall. It was very good, a quicker vibrato than I had heard on CD but full of flair and imagination.

She played the 3rd Ysaye sonata as an encore, it was absolutely stunning.

Mike

Comment

Working...
        X