X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Operatic pairings

I wonder how much our reaction to one singer can be influenced by their vocal partner. I am thinking of Tebaldi and del Monaco - he seems to over emote and belt it out so much that perhaps she seems colder than she might otherwise . I have dug out a 2 CD arias set this evening and I am certainly much more taken with the performances of the Catalani and Ponchielli solo pieces and I find her Puccini generally rather cool. The exception being a particularly lovely O Soave Fanciulla with Bergonzi who seems a much better match.

To be frank di Stefano has never struck me as particularly special but Callas seldom needed anyone to spark off - though of course when she did have a great singer like Gobbi in Tosca the results could be stupendous. Alagna sounded in much fresher voice again with Kurzak his new partner in L Elisir d amore last year than he had for a very long time when singing with Gheorghiu.

It is wonderful when operatic pairings really work but I just wonder whether some singers need that much more to give their best than others.
  • Richard Tarleton

Agree totally over Tebaldi's partners. Besides La Wally, her Adriana Lecouvreur is also marred by the bawling del Monaco - his voice really is coarse, and to my ears barely in tune. Bergonzi was the perfect partner for her.

The partnership of Sutherland and Pavarotti was pretty special - think Fonteyn and Nureyev, not that the age gap was that great - but what about that between Sutherland and Horne? Their Norma partnership was much more exciting than the later one with Caballé (and Pavarotti). And their early partnership on "The Age of Bel Canto". You may have guessed, I'm a Sutherland fan.

Domingo seems to bring out the best in everybody

I'd like to have heard Rosa Ponselle's debut at the Met with Caruso in La Forza del Destino

Comment

• verismissimo
      • Nov 2010

Caruso and Alda!

Rita Hunter and Alberto Remedios.

Comment

• Hornspieler
        Late Member
        • Sep 2012

Any tenor paired with Victoria de los Angeles was on a winner before he even sang a note IMV.
        Luigi Alva and Guiseppe di Stefano spring to mind.

HS

Comment

Working...
        X