Missing period instrument Haydn symphonies.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Missing period instrument Haydn symphonies.

There has been a number of attempts at recording complete surveys of the Haydn symphonies using period instrument and instrumental techniques. Not only has none as yet been completed, there remain no period recordings at all of Nos. 79 and 81 as far as I can see. There is also but one of No. 80.

What is it about these symphonies that is holding the HIPPsters back? Must they remain available only in the distorted sound of versions with modern beefed up instruments?
    Last edited by Bryn; 05-04-14, 20:34.
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    There has been a number of attempts at recording complete surveys of the Haydn symphonies using period instrument and instrumental techniques. Not only has none as yet been completed, there remain no period recordings at all of Nos. 79 and 81 as far as I can see. There is also but one of No. 80.

What is it about these symphonies that is holding the HIPPsters back? Must theyg remain available only in the distorted sound of versions with modern beefed up instruments?
    The Fey performances that I have heard have alienated me completely. Ridiculous breakneck tempos, absurdly braying horns....and on it goes. I'll take Dorati and his modern orchestra any day over that.
    I have Pinnock's set of the "Sturm und Drang" works and it is much more to my liking. It is a shame that he did not do the entire cycle. I also have Goodman and the Hanover Band in 1-20 and I wish they had completed the cycle as well. I also have Kujiken in the Paris Symphonies and while I did not enjoy them as much as Goodman or Pinnock they are respectable enough accounts.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
      Banned
      • Jul 2011

I'm a great fan of that Thomas Fey/Hanssler Haydn series, but bear in mind that Fey tends to combine modern and period/repro instruments in the same band (usually modern for strings/wind, period brass), and only the Heidelberger offshoot, the Ensemble La Passione , use all-authentic instruments for their baroque repertoire. My favourite issues so far would include 70/73/75 and above all 48/56, a joyful, outstanding disc that any Haydneer should have. I may not love them as much as I do some of Bruggen's Sturm und Drang readings, but I still place them among the best.

But absolutely, there aren't enough HIPP performances of this rep., and as for Brahms and Bruckner...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

I don't see the problem with reproduction instruments. Haydn probably used brand new instruments himself, not 250 year old ones.

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

It was specifically symphonies 79 and 81 I had in mind. It is they which seem left by the wayside by HIPPsterws. Nor has Fey yet recorded either of them, not, as Jayne mentions, are they likely to be recorded using period instruments when he does. Oh, and a return to the catalogue of those recorded by Bruggen (don't know how ti do umlauts on this smartphone) is long overdue, though again, that would not remedy the situation concerning 79 and 81.

Comment

• richardfinegold
            • Sep 2012

Listening to Hogwood in #100 right now. A great recording, and another missed opportunity for a complete HIP set.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

It was specifically symphonies 79 and 81 I had in mind. It is they which seem left by the wayside by HIPPsterws. Nor has Fey yet recorded either of them, not, as Jayne mentions, are they likely to be recorded using period instruments when he does. Oh, and a return to the catalogue of those recorded by Bruggen (don't know how ti do umlauts on this smartphone) is long overdue, though again, that would not remedy the situation concerning 79 and 81.
              It may be a silly question but why 79 and 81 - are they boring? Are they difficult to play? Do they do 1 to 78 and then say righty we'll do 104 and work backwards then run out of studio time? ...and the musicians must get Hob fatigue!

Comment

• verismissimo
                • Nov 2010

I've only ever had these two symphonies on record played by Philharmonia Hungarica conducted by Dorati. A great step on the HIPP road, but by no means close to current ideals. There's a recording of 81 by the Australian Chamber Orchestra under Mackerras that I heard in the R3 broadcast cycle a few years ago. Was it from an ABC broadcast?

Robbins Landon thought this set from 1783-84 (Nos 79-81) the bees knees, but then he always saw the best in Haydn.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  A great step on the HIPP road, but by no means close to current ideals.
                  How would you describe "current ideals"?

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                    Listening to Hogwood in #100 right now. A great recording, and another missed opportunity for a complete HIP set.
                    Yes, those four London symphonies which Hogwood did (long before the projected cycle) are terrific..I'm especially fond of the very fast finish to the "Miracle". I remember him saying at the start of the project that he would probably do those already-recorded symphonies again, when they got to the end. Sadly that never happened - and neither did 79 or 80, as we are all too well aware, Bryn! (By the way, what you think of the Hogwood set?)

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                      Yes, those four London symphonies which Hogwood did (long before the projected cycle) are terrific..I'm especially fond of the very fast finish to the "Miracle". I remember him saying at the start of the project that he would probably do those already-recorded symphonies again, when they got to the end. Sadly that never happened - and neither did 79 or 80, as we are all too well aware, Bryn! (By the way, what you think of the Hogwood set?)
                      Having only got the boxed set a few days ago, (previously I only had the disc of the Surprise and Miracle, the fortepiano having come as a bit of a shock), and having been working 'lates' (left home at mid-day to return around 11 pm, it's more a case of "What do you think of it so far?", to which the answer is "So far, so good". I don't intend to 'do a Roger Wright' and spin them end to end, but rather savour them over a fairly extended period.

Comment

• kea
                        • Dec 2013

The lack of a complete Haydn symphony cycle has seemed like a surprising gap, though not as frustrating (for me) as the Beethoven string quartets—on period instruments only Op. 18, 59/3, 74 and 135 are available.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by kea View Post
                          The lack of a complete Haydn symphony cycle has seemed like a surprising gap, though not as frustrating (for me) as the Beethoven string quartets—on period instruments only Op. 18, 59/3, 74 and 135 are available.
                          Op. 132 (Quartett Collegium Aureum) was available on LP, but I have not seen a CD transfer.

The Eroica Quartet recording of Op. 90 is still available (via Amazon, for instance).

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... which performances are these?

I only have the Eroica qttt on harmonia mundi, with opp 74, 95, and 135.

Comment

• rkyburz

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... which performances are these?

I only have the Eroica qttt on harmonia mundi, with opp 74, 95, and 135.
                              Don't miss out on the Chiaroscuro's op.95!

Comment

Working...
                              X