X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Martin Frost Mozart.

Critic Jerry Dubins raves about the new Frost disc pairing the Clarient Concerto and the Kegelstatt (sp?) Trio, just released on Bis, in SACD.
    Dubins in subject to fits of over the top enthusiasms. Dubins states "It doesn't matter how many recordings of this Concerto that you already own, you have to buy this one."
    Unfortunately, he doesn't compare the new recording to Frost Previous recording of the Concerto on the same label, Bis, also issued in SACD, and more usefully coupled with the Clarinet Quintet, and which I already own.
    Spotify offers the older recording but not the newer one, so I can't go that route either.
    Is anyone familiar with the two recordings? It seems awfully strange to have the same label rerecord a work so quickly using the same artist and recording technology.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

I heard Martin Frost in the Quartet for the End of Time in Verbier last year.
    The most wonderful clarinet playing I have ever heard.
    Well worth checking out

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

It's wonderful, and the Kegelstatt Trio is great too, with Leif Ove andsnes at the piano. The recording is well nigh perfect. I can only assume that Frost thought he could better his earlier version, which I have not heard, he plays a bassett clarinet in the new version, maybe he did not in the first one. Whatever, as I say, it's superb.

Comment

• LaurieWatt
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        It's wonderful, and the Kegelstatt Trio is great too, with Leif Ove andsnes at the piano. The recording is well nigh perfect. I can only assume that Frost thought he could better his earlier version, which I have not heard, he plays a bassett clarinet in the new version, maybe he did not in the first one. Whatever, as I say, it's superb.
        I totally agree!

Comment

• mikealdren
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I heard him at the Wigmore playing the Copeland concerto and the Mozart quintet and I totally agree.

Mike

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            I heard Martin Frost in the Quartet for the End of Time in Verbier last year.
            Well worth checking out
            You lucky bugler, Mr GG!

I heard/saw him at the Proms a few years back in a piece that required him to dance around the platform while playing, a feat he achieved most convincingly - I made a mental note then to watch out for him

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              You lucky bugler, Mr GG!

I heard/saw him at the Proms a few years back in a piece that required him to dance around the platform while playing, a feat he achieved most convincingly - I made a mental note then to watch out for him
              Ams

It was August 13th 2008, and the piece was the Clarinet Concerto ( Peacock Tales ) by Anders Hillborg. The Gothenberg SO was conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, a year after his famous Prom with the Venezuelans. According to the notes, the composer wanted to use Frost's additional skills as a mime artist and dancer. I seem to remember that he wore a paper mask on the back of his head ( to warn off tigers perhaps? ) and was certainly acrobatic as the music squealed its way along.
              I was rather impressed, perhaps more by him than by the music. A regular prommer called William, shouted " Rubbish! " very loudly, perhaps a modest over-reaction!

Judging by the Mozart, he is a magnificent artist. ( Frost, not William! )

Comment

• amateur51

Ams

It was August 13th 2008, and the piece was the Clarinet Concerto ( Peacock Tales ) by Anders Hillborg. The Gothenberg SO was conducted by Gustavo Dudamel, a year after his famous Prom with the Venezuelans. According to the notes, the composer wanted to use Frost's additional skills as a mime artist and dancer. I seem to remember that he wore a paper mask on the back of his head ( to warn off tigers perhaps? ) and was certainly acrobatic as the music squealed its way along.
                I was rather impressed, perhaps more by him than by the music. A regular prommer called William, shouted " Rubbish! " very loudly, perhaps a modest over-reaction!

Judging by the Mozart, he is a magnificent artist. ( Frost, not William! )
                Bravo Ferret, that's the concert

Hope you remembered your fried bread with marmalade this morning

Comment

• richardfinegold
                  • Sep 2012

He plays a basset clarinet on the earlier recording for the Concerto. Apparently, he plays a regular clarinet for the Quintet. I am feeling grumpy about this because I had just purchased the earlier recording a few months ago, although as I read the notes, the recording dates are 2003. The 2003 recording is fantastic, with superlative playing and sonics--the opening chords leap out of the speakers and the string tone is as silken as any one could wish for, and the clarinet is captured perfectly without unnecessary spotlighting.
                  I guess it isn't unreasonable for an Artist the caliber of Frost to rerecord this pinnacle of his instrument's literature every decade or so. I guess more cash will be flowing from my card to Amazon soon. Maybe I'll wait a few months and see if I can save a bit on a used copy. I just wish the new recording featured the Quintet, with a basset clarinet.
                  The older recording is available on Spotify for those who are interested.
                  The Frost Brahms recordings are also superlative. I am glad that he promotes modern music but I would love to hear him in the Stamitz and Krommer Concertos.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Bravo Ferret, that's the concert

Hope you remembered your fried bread with marmalade this morning
                    Sundays only!

Comment

• akiralx
                      • Oct 2011

Review which cites the earlier recording:

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Comment

Working...
                      X