• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Astonishment at Breakfast

Going through my morning ritual (getting up) and listening to Breakfast with half an ear (as usual) I was stopped in my (admittedly slow) tracks at the sound of J.S. Bach (48 Preludes and Fugues Book II no. 12) played on a ....wait for it...harpsichord. Has the BBC lost its archive version featuring sitar and nose-flute?

Trevor Pinnock played it beautifully; nicely nuanced prelude and aptly metronomic fugue. In its entirety. Amazing.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    archive version featuring sitar and nose-flute

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

>>archive version featuring sitar and nose-flute?

I spotted a panpipes version in the window of Alsager's Age Concern shop.
      Should I rush down to buy it and send it on to the producers ?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Clearly too early for you, ardcarp, it was a kazoo ........ to flag up the Biggest Orchestra In The World, or some such other desperate ratings-grabbing tosh.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

The Bad-Tempered Kazoo ?

Comment

• Don Petter

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Clearly too early for you, ardcarp, it was a kazoo ........ to flag up the Biggest Orchestra In The World, or some such other desperate ratings-grabbing tosh.
            I caught the start of that frenetic trail yesterday - It was switched off before the end.

Sounded completely out of place on R3 (or so I would have hoped), and more like those ear-splitting trails on Five Live which string together all the most noisy bits of commentary they can find in the hope it will attract, rather than repel, future listeners. They are wrong, as far as this one is concerned.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Going through my morning ritual (getting up) and listening to Breakfast with half an ear (as usual) I was stopped in my (admittedly slow) tracks at the sound of J.S. Bach (48 Preludes and Fugues Book II no. 12) played on a ....wait for it...harpsichord. Has the BBC lost its archive version featuring sitar and nose-flute?

Trevor Pinnock played it beautifully; nicely nuanced prelude and aptly metronomic fugue. In its entirety. Amazing.
              But does not Pinnock use an instrument tuned to equal, rather than well, temperament? Not so far from a version on sitar and nose-flute after all, eh? Now if they'd plumped for Edarr ... .

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Breakfast Complete Astonishment No. 2
                Oum Kolthoum

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  it was a kazoo
                  Perhaps it was a trailer for 'I'm Sorry, I Haven't A Clue'.

Comment

• Paul Sherratt

Comment

Working...
                    X