Host
    • Nov 2010

CC today:

Ravel
    Bolero
    Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra
    Herbert von Karajan (conductor)

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

CC playlist going a little awry I think. We have just started the Elgar Introduction & Allegro, so I think the Mozart Piano Concerto will be a bit late.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

...and a real rarity, now playing: Elgar's Introduction and Allegro, conducted by Barbirolli . Much as I love Elgar's music in general and happy as I am to hear individual pieces, couldn't we at least be given the chance to hear a different, less familiar interpretation?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I think Mr Jolly may follow the trends and the general disapproval for the balls-aching inclusion of Boléro in the schedules, given his rather elaborate disclaimer introducing the piece: "... which I haven't included in Classical Collection before, although Sarah has..."

"...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Oh my law, what a depressing read on all the MBs today. What about a CD request programme now and again, so that we can hear some different works that never get played, complete and at least 20 minutes long.But that involves 'sent your texts, emails,' we're trapped in mediocrity.....

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              I think Mr Jolly may follow the trends and the general disapproval for the balls-aching inclusion of Boléro in the schedules, given his rather elaborate disclaimer introducing the piece: "... which I haven't included in Classical Collection before, although Sarah has..."

That assumes that the conceit that presenters actually choose what is played isn't just a slight of hand but is actually the case.

I suspect it is the production team that provides the major input into programming CC and selecting the works played. (I take utterances like "I've now choosen a performance of xxxx to play" with a large pinch of salt.)

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can confirm or shoot me down in flames.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                • Nov 2010

Thers is only one request programme on Sunday's, but it's only 2 hours long, which of course limits the number of complete works that can be played and, more often than not, a fair proportion of the programme is made up of fairly well known works anyway.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  Oh my law, what a depressing read on all the MBs today. What about a CD request programme now and again, so that we can hear some different works that never get played, complete and at least 20 minutes long.But that involves 'sent your texts, emails,' we're trapped in mediocrity.....
                  Salymap - here in Suffolk, at any rate, the sun is shining, the wind has dropped, the temperature has risen and all sorts of flowers and shrubs - forsythia, bergenia, snowdrops, daffodils and others - are in bloom or in bud ...hold that thought!

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

I will OFCACHAP, I will. Lucky you to be in Suffolk. I had cousins in Brandon until they died about 10 years ago and have happy memories of exploring great houses and lovely gardens in both Suffolk and Norfolk.

Comment

• Dave2002
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by OFCACHAP View Post
                      ...and a real rarity, now playing: Elgar's Introduction and Allegro, conducted by Barbirolli . Much as I love Elgar's music in general and happy as I am to hear individual pieces, couldn't we at least be given the chance to hear a different, less familiar interpretation?
                      Agreed! I was very surprised when I heard other versions - for example Neville Marriner's version, where things really do go along at a great speed - much more of a "devil of a fugue" feel to it. Some of the recordings by Boult are also worth hearing. Barbirolli's is lovely, and comfortable - but other conductors also have things to say.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

Well, we know how to get in touch with the producers. If we accepted the basic purpose of the programme, perhaps we could offer some ideas which they would find useful and would result in a programme with even wider appeal, i.e. including some of the 'not contents' here?
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                          • Nov 2010

VW: Lark Ascending
                          Copland: Rodeo

one after the other. Perhaps they should just add Britten's Four Sea Pictures, Ravel's Piano Concerto and Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia and now run them on a loop each day for Classical Collection?
                          Last edited by Bax-of-Delights; 07-03-11, 15:44. Reason: Got me Balakirevs mixed up with me Borodins!!
                          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                            • Nov 2010

Borodin's In the Steppes of Central Asia isn't currently broadcast as much as it was. Try adding La Mer, Prelude de l'apres midi d'un faune, Alborado del gracioso, Hungarian & Slavonic Dances, Peer Gynt (Grieg's) to the loop too!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Did you hear tomorrow's line-up, as announced at the end of today's 'show'?

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                                • Nov 2010

I'd moved on to the second LP of the morning (Khatchaturian's 2nd Symphony - and not bad at all) by then so missed what may be coming tomorrow. Surprise us!
                                O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

Working...
                                X